That Harry Potter Thread Is Growing Like A Snail's

RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 20 2009, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 20 2009, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 19 2009, 04:23 PM)
What makes me crack up though is how Potter fans get very defensive and seemingly very angry if anybody doesn't jump on the bandwagon and gush all over it with little kissy kissy Potter love! And they run out and call the Potter Police if anybody dares to make a negative comment or two. I mean how dare Earl make a thread like this eh? Someone grab a wand and turn him into a toad quick!

Ah well, at least he's not posting in the other Harry Potter thread now...

laugh.gif

I don't care who likes or doesn't like HP, who makes threads about how awful it is, nor am I calling the "Potter Police." I simply thought it was a bit much to call J. K. a homeless bum.

Sue me.

Say what you like GG but you're just proving my point...otherwise you'd not even be coming back to this thread, as you already made your point about that...

I come back to the thread because the topic interests me. That okay with you, Treeduck?

And I merely wanted to refute your claim that fans "get very defensive and seemingly very angry if anybody doesn't jump on the bandwagon and gush all over it with little kissy kissy Potter love! And they run out and call the Potter Police if anybody dares to make a negative comment or two."

Simply not true in this case. So say what YOU will - I'm not angry or defensive or wanting any kissy kissy Potter love. I just thought it was tacky to call the woman a homeless BUM.

There.

But I'll probably be back because I can't resist the allure of this magical thread!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 20 2009, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 20 2009, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 20 2009, 12:55 PM)
What makes me crack up though is how Potter fans get very defensive and seemingly very angry if anybody doesn't jump on the bandwagon and gush all over it with little kissy kissy Potter love! And they run out and call the Potter Police if anybody dares to make a negative comment or two. I mean how dare Earl make a thread like this eh? Someone grab a wand and turn him into a toad quick!

laugh.gif

I don't care who likes or doesn't like HP, who makes threads about how awful it is, nor am I calling the "Potter Police." I simply thought it was a bit much to call J. K. a homeless bum.

Sue me.

Say what you like GG but you're just proving my point...otherwise you'd not even be coming back to this thread, as you already made your point about that...

I come back to the thread because the topic interests me. That okay with you, Treeduck?

And I merely wanted to refute your claim that fans "get very defensive and seemingly very angry if anybody doesn't jump on the bandwagon and gush all over it with little kissy kissy Potter love! And they run out and call the Potter Police if anybody dares to make a negative comment or two."

Simply not true in this case. So say what YOU will - I'm not angry or defensive or wanting any kissy kissy Potter love. I just thought it was tacky to call the woman a homeless BUM.

There.

But I'll probably be back because I can't resist the allure of this magical thread!

bekloppt.gif

angel.gif

Earl and Duck, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it sucks.

I hated 'Wayne's World' but I don't think less of those who enjoyed it or of the people who wrote it.

I don't get the Harry Potter phenomenon either, but that's only because I'm not interested in it and I'm cool with that.

Wouldn't it be a boring-assed world if we all liked the same things?

Side note to Presto-D: I liked 'Dodgeball' and laughed my butt off! Next you'll be saying you didn't like 'Tropic Thunder'.

I gave my opinion, that's all I can do, no point me lying about it just to fit in...

And there's much point in me typing "I don't like it" without clarification although maybe succinct might be best in a case like this...

Maybe you can give me a list of subjects you prefer me not to comment on, since you guys know me so well by now...

wink.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 20 2009, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 20 2009, 03:58 PM)
Okay, but the phrase has negative connotations.

So does the topic title, which I found to be a little offensive.

Hey Cocky! I'm totally offended by your screen name.

What's wrong with the topic title? I don't even know if a snail has a penis!

COCK ON! tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 20 2009, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 20 2009, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 20 2009, 10:55 AM)

laugh.gif

Sue me.

Let me clarify my comment on the "homeless bum" thing.

I wasn't calling her that as a bad name I was calling her that because it was true.

She was homeless and living in her car writing that billion dollar book of cliches.

She is a rags to riches story. It has nothing to do with her intellegence as a human being. Obviously if she can make a shitload of money coming up with a wizard who wears "Where's Waldo" glasses and rides on a turbocharged broomstick then she must be doing something right.

Good for her.

Maybe she can give me a loan.

Okay, but the phrase has negative connotations.

If you simplify it to Waldo glasses, turbocharged broomsticks, and cliches (?) then I can understand why you think it's not worthwhile.

To each his/her own.

I agree!

"Different Strokes" for different folks!

Sincerely,

Gary Coleman

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 20 2009, 03:55 PM)
I gave my opinion, that's all I can do, no point me lying about it just to fit in...

And there's much point in me typing "I don't like it" without clarification although maybe succinct might be best in a case like this...

Maybe you can give me a list of subjects you prefer me not to comment on, since you guys know me so well by now...

wink.gif

Climb down off the cross, please. I'm only saying that it's OK to slag on the subject matter but slagging on the fans when you know there are so many here is a bit unseemly and I think you're better than that.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 20 2009, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 20 2009, 03:55 PM)

wink.gif

Climb down off the cross, please. I'm only saying that it's OK to slag on the subject matter but slagging on the fans when you know there are so many here is a bit unseemly and I think you're better than that.

Just sayin...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 20 2009, 01:37 PM)
Earl and Duck, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it sucks.

I hated 'Wayne's World' but I don't think less of those who enjoyed it or of the people who wrote it.

I don't get the Harry Potter phenomenon either, but that's only because I'm not interested in it and I'm cool with that.

Wouldn't it be a boring-assed world if we all liked the same things?

Side note to Presto-D: I liked 'Dodgeball' and laughed my butt off! Next you'll be saying you didn't like 'Tropic Thunder'.

Hey Dave!

I know buddy! That's why I like to write these wacky threads for some reason!

Not really trying to be a "troll" or a "hater" either, I just find it enjoyable to make fun of or rip a movie or a band that other people love. Some Forum Members love to give me a bad time about the bands I still listen too. It's all good. I actually don't offend at all and it's entertaining to read responses of other members no matter if they are positive or negative.

Let the Forum Madness continue!!

Earl

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 20 2009, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 20 2009, 10:55 AM)

laugh.gif

Sue me.

Let me clarify my comment on the "homeless bum" thing.

I wasn't calling her that as a bad name I was calling her that because it was true.

She was homeless and living in her car writing that billion dollar book of cliches.

She is a rags to riches story. It has nothing to do with her intellegence as a human being. Obviously if she can make a shitload of money coming up with a wizard who wears "Where's Waldo" glasses and rides on a turbocharged broomstick then she must be doing something right.

Good for her.

Maybe she can give me a loan.

rofl3.gif

I was up in Washington with my wife to see the "Snakes & Arrows" show at White River.

After the show we went back to our hotel.

I wanted to pick up a 12 pack of beer, some beef jerky and a bottle of white wine for Wendy.

So we walked over to this grocery store right around midnight.

To my amazed bloodshot eyes I saw this insanely long line. People of all shapes and sizes and different ages were all waiting for the new Harry Potter midnight book sale.

For a second I thought I was actually in one of those cheesy movies.

My God! It was like Halloween night!

People were dressed up in Harry Potter costumes along with other goofy HP character drag.

I couldn't believe my eyes!

All for a midnight book sale? How pathetic.

I can understand Harry Potter Lovers dressing up looking stupid for say a Midnight Show but for a book sale at some f***ing grocery store out in the middle of nowhere? Insane.

I mean I've done my share of STAR WARS midnight movies. Hell I did all three of the prequels at Midnight.

My wife and I had to sit there in the theater praying for the lights to go off so all of these lame wannabe Jedi Knights with their cheap plastic lightsabers could get the fokk off the stage area by the screen.

Vader masks and Stormtrooper outfits were everywhere. Kind of a cool festive thing a suppose, but not my bag at all.

Maybe for the next RUSH TOUR I will wait outside in line dressed up as Neil Peart, and Wendy can put on her Geddy Lee outfit. Heck I might even dress up my 12 year old daughter as Alex. Hey she's a blonde too!

Sounds like fun!

NOT!!!!

fing.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 20 2009, 05:16 PM)
I was up in Washington with my wife to see the "Snakes & Arrows" show at White River.
I wanted to pick up a 12 pack of beer, some beef jerky and a bottle of white wine for Wendy.
To my amazed bloodshot eyes I saw this insanely long line. People of all shapes and sizes and different ages were all waiting for the new Harry Potter midnight book sale.
People were dressed up in Harry Potter costumes along with other goofy HP character drag.
I can understand Harry Potter Lovers dressing up looking stupid for say a Midnight Show but for a book sale at some f***ing grocery store out in the middle of nowhere? Insane.
I mean I've done my share of STAR WARS midnight movies. Hell I did all three of the prequels at Midnight.
My wife and I had to sit there in the theater praying for the lights to go off so all of these lame wannabe Jedi Knights with their cheap plastic lightsabers could get the fokk off the stage area by the screen.
Vader masks and Stormtrooper outfits were everywhere. Kind of a cool festive thing a suppose, but not my bag at all.

Maybe for the next RUSH TOUR I will wait outside in line dressed up as Neil Peart, and Wendy can put on her Geddy Lee outfit. Heck I might even dress up my 12 year old daughter as Alex. Hey she's a blonde too!

Sounds like fun!

NOT!!!!

fing.gif

Ha ha, the hype and hysteria for some of these things is unreal...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 20 2009, 06:16 PM)

Sounds like fun!

NOT!!!!

fing.gif

Yes, they're very dedicated, but what about Star Trek geeks? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 20 2009, 05:26 PM)
To my amazed bloodshot eyes I saw this insanely long line.  People of all shapes and sizes and different ages were all waiting for the new Harry Potter midnight book sale.
My God!  It was like Halloween night!
All for a midnight book sale?  How pathetic.
I can understand Harry Potter Lovers dressing up looking stupid for say a Midnight Show but for a book sale at some f***ing grocery store out in the middle of nowhere?  Insane.
I mean I've done my share of STAR WARS midnight movies.  Hell I did all three of the prequels at Midnight.
Vader masks and Stormtrooper outfits were everywhere.  Kind of a cool festive thing a suppose, but not my bag at all.

Maybe for the next RUSH TOUR I will wait outside in line dressed up as Neil Peart, and Wendy can put on her Geddy Lee outfit.  Heck I might even dress up my 12 year old daughter as Alex.  Hey she's a blonde too!

Sounds like fun!

NOT!!!!

fing.gif

Some of them can be really. . .out there.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

Ok--i hesitate to write this because I know I'll hear "See, she is a fraud!" But this Harry Potter phenomenon didnt happen by accident.

JK Rowling touches upon things in her books that have enthralled for the ages...things that are already classic.

If you watch "Discovering the Real World of Harry Potter"...they mention how much the three main characters echo the great story of Camelot. Harry, Ron, and Hermione not very unlike Arthur, Lancelot, and Guenevier.

The Philosophers (Sorcerers) Stone...rumored to be a real thing...

Wiccan is a real religion...and the wizards and witches who practice find much of JK Rowlings story to be accurate.

etc etc...watch the documentary...

so, here's what she did...she had this idea, and she ran with it. And in a world filled with technology she got kids to stop for a minute, for an hour...and READ. She inspired something threatening to be lost. So "BRAVO!" Ms. Rowling.

And she got adults to join in, and kids and parents had something in common..something to TALK about! whoa! cool no?

Whether it floats your broom or not...THIS is the phenomenon of Harry Potter.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 20 2009, 08:57 PM)
Ok--i hesitate to write this because I know I'll hear "See, she is a fraud!"  But this Harry Potter phenomenon didnt happen by accident.

JK Rowling touches upon things in her books that have enthralled for the ages...things that are already classic.

If you watch "Discovering the Real World of Harry Potter"...they mention how much the three main characters echo the great story of Camelot.  Harry, Ron, and Hermione not very unlike Arthur, Lancelot, and Guenevier.

Wiccan is a real religion...and the wizards and witches who practice find much of JK Rowlings story to be accurate.

so, here's what she did...she had this idea, and she ran with it. And in a world filled with technology she got kids to stop for a minute, for an hour...and READ.  She inspired something threatening to be lost.  So "BRAVO!" Ms. Rowling.

And she got adults to join in, and kids and parents had something in common..something to TALK about!  whoa!  cool no?

goodpost.gif , especially the part about just sitting down to read a book instead of watching TV, playing video games, etc.

Earl, I don't see anything wrong with a book that gets kids excited to read. Instead of the newest movie they'll spend ten bucks to see in the theater once, they can read this book as much as they want and paint a picture in their minds.

IMAGINATION FTW!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 20 2009, 02:16 PM)

Sounds like fun!

NOT!!!!

fing.gif

I'm not going to lie, buying the book at midnight, reading it until 4, sleeping for 3 hours, waking up, finishing the book, and going straight to the Rush show at Clark County was pretty awesome.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 20 2009, 09:11 PM)
I'm not going to lie, buying the book at midnight, reading it until 4, sleeping for 3 hours, waking up, finishing the book, and going straight to the Rush show at Clark County was pretty awesome.

Wow - that does sound awesome!

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 20 2009, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 20 2009, 08:57 PM)
Ok--i hesitate to write this because I know I'll hear "See, she is a fraud!"  But this Harry Potter phenomenon didnt happen by accident.

If you watch "Discovering the Real World of Harry Potter"...they mention how much the three main characters echo the great story of Camelot.  Harry, Ron, and Hermione not very unlike Arthur, Lancelot, and Guenevier.

so, here's what she did...she had this idea, and she ran with it. And in a world filled with technology she got kids to stop for a minute, for an hour...and READ.  She inspired something threatening to be lost.  So "BRAVO!" Ms. Rowling.

And she got adults to join in, and kids and parents had something in common..something to TALK about!  whoa!  cool no?

goodpost.gif , especially the part about just sitting down to read a book instead of watching TV, playing video games, etc.

Earl, I don't see anything wrong with a book that gets kids excited to read. Instead of the newest movie they'll spend ten bucks to see in the theater once, they can read this book as much as they want and paint a picture in their minds.

IMAGINATION FTW!!! 1022.gif

Dude!

I would never say that books are bad. Reading is essential for the mind. Hell I majored in English. I read so much in college that it burned me out.

Don't get me wrong, my 12 year old daughter has read every HP book. She loves all of those TWILIGHT books too. Hey whatever gets the kids to read is fine with me as long as it is creative and clean for the mind. HP and TWILIGHT are ok in my book, just not for my mind.

The Narnia books are still a good read for kids after all of these years. Also the dude who wrote "The Golden Compass" Trilogy. Christians had their tiny testicles in an uproar over those books for some reason. Talk about being uptight. I actually thought the movie was ok. When are those sequels going to hit the Silver Screen?

I would never bash or burn books but then again one of my favorite books to read is by the great Ray Bradbury, "Fahrenheit 451."

Great book and a great movie. Maybe I should take all of Zoe's Harry Potter books and throw them in the street and light them on fire!!!!!

"BURN BABY BURN DISCO INFERNO!"

Love Always,

Francois Truffanut

It's the "IMAGINATION ACROSS THE NATION" TOUR!

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 20 2009, 03:26 PM)
To my amazed bloodshot eyes I saw this insanely long line.  People of all shapes and sizes and different ages were all waiting for the new Harry Potter midnight book sale.
My God!  It was like Halloween night!
All for a midnight book sale?  How pathetic.
I can understand Harry Potter Lovers dressing up looking stupid for say a Midnight Show but for a book sale at some f***ing grocery store out in the middle of nowhere?  Insane.
I mean I've done my share of STAR WARS midnight movies.  Hell I did all three of the prequels at Midnight.
Vader masks and Stormtrooper outfits were everywhere.  Kind of a cool festive thing a suppose, but not my bag at all.

Maybe for the next RUSH TOUR I will wait outside in line dressed up as Neil Peart, and Wendy can put on her Geddy Lee outfit.  Heck I might even dress up my 12 year old daughter as Alex.  Hey she's a blonde too!

Sounds like fun!

NOT!!!!

fing.gif

"To go where no nerd has gone before......"

May The Farce Be With You

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 20 2009, 07:39 PM)
Hey RUSHHEAD666

just a question....have YOU read any Harry Potter books?

i bet you'd be surprised at how good for your mind they are.

No!

I honestly have never even opened up a Harry Potter book.

Maybe I should. Do they have the Cliff Notes for them? laugh.gif

I have to say that I seriously did burn out with reading in College.

At St. Mary's you also had to take these seminar classes with a ton of reading, plus being an English Major I had to read a bunch more.

Sad to say that it took the fun out of reading for me.

I mean luckily back then in the Nineties I was hooked on books. I read all the Ayn Rand shit simply because I was and still am addicted to RUSH.

Now in 2009 I don't even think I could revisit her "Anthem" book.

I guess I would rather just type on this Forum and drive all of you guys crazy! LOL!

I would rather write my own book these days I guess.

Steevo is right. I love to stir the Hairy "Pot"ter on here. "Paint It Black" baby!

I love to challenge the brains of Rush Fan even if I do look like an idiot sometimes.

Not one person on here is better than the other that's for sure.

I will try not to cross that fragile line, and just for the record my threads and posts are mostly in jest.

I would never insult or attack any of you unless you attack me first and piss me off.

99% of you are cool. It's that other "1%" that actually reminds me of a great Jane's Addiction song.

Is that good or bad? Who knows.....

Love,

"Pigs In Zen"

1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 20 2009, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 20 2009, 07:39 PM)
Hey RUSHHEAD666

just a question....have YOU read any Harry Potter books?

i bet you'd be surprised at how good for your mind they are.

No!

I honestly have never even opened up a Harry Potter book.

Maybe I should. Do they have the Cliff Notes for them? laugh.gif

I have to say that I seriously did burn out with reading in College.

At St. Mary's you also had to take these seminar classes with a ton of reading, plus being an English Major I had to read a bunch more.

Sad to say that it took the fun out of reading for me.

I mean luckily back then in the Nineties I was hooked on books. I read all the Ayn Rand shit simply because I was and still am addicted to RUSH.

Now in 2009 I don't even think I could revisit her "Anthem" book.

I guess I would rather just type on this Forum and drive all of you guys crazy! LOL!

I would rather write my own book these days I guess.

In all seriousness, you should read them.

OR, actually, I have a better idea. Get the audiobooks. The guy who reads them is great, does all the voices really well.