Eddie Murphy

Presto-digitation

How could someone who was once so genuinely edgy, daring, and funny become such a shameless accomdator of six-year-olds? I mean, my kids think that Eddie is just another, less-funny version of Steve Martin in Cheaper By The Dozen. My kids eyes would pop out of their heads if they listened to Delirious, watched Raw...or heard that he could be genuinely funny or entertaining to adults (Trading Places, 48 Hours, etc). I know he also made Dreamgirls, but when it comes to being funny....where did he go and how do we get that back outside popping Trading Places into the DVD player?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 18 2009, 10:40 AM)
How could someone who was once so genuinely edgy, daring, and funny become such a shameless accomdator of six-year-olds?

Maybe I missed it, but what is the deal with this part, "accomodater of 6-year-olds"?

Are you referring to the Shrek movie voiceovers?

Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin are two comedians who have squandered their talent. It really depressed me. Both are capable of so much more. Even though it's not a great movie, Bowfinger had glimpses of what made them so funny and great. It depresses me to think about them now.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 18 2009, 10:21 AM)
How could someone who was once so genuinely edgy, daring, and funny become such a shameless accomdator of six-year-olds?

Maybe I missed it, but what is the deal with this part, "accomodater of 6-year-olds"?

Not so much that. Stuff like his new one, Imagine That....also Meet Dave, The Adventures Of Pluto Nash, Daddy Day Care, etc. He really appeals to the lowest common denominator anymore...(be that children or dumb adults). He used to not...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 18 2009, 10:29 AM)
Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin are two comedians who have squandered their talent. It really depressed me. Both are capable of so much more. Even though it's not a great movie, Bowfinger had glimpses of what made them so funny and great. It depresses me to think about them now.

Yeah, ironically with both of them in that one....true.

I'd prefer that Martin do more serious stuff like Shopgirl or And The Band Played On to continually playing the father of a gaggle of children. I mean, he's always charming...but I really miss the more edgy stuff. He was a great straight man to John Candy's comedy in Planes, Trains, & Automobiles. That and The Jerk may be his best two comedic roles IMO.

Murphy is just a mess.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 18 2009, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 18 2009, 10:21 AM)

Not so much that. Stuff like his new one, Imagine That....also Meet Dave, The Adventures Of Pluto Nash, Daddy Day Care, etc. He really appeals to the lowest common denominator anymore...(be that children or dumb adults). He used to not...

I think it's as simple as Eddie Murphy has lost his releveance in the new milennium, and he's trying to find his niche market again.

I think his voiceover of the donkey in Shrek is hilarious. Can't say I've seen any movie in which he's played in the last 10 years. But there are guys out there now....e.g. Chris Rock.....that do what he USED to do. So he's been bumped so to speak.

At least that's the way I see it.

two things come to my mind when i see his name

1. was one of the funniest motherf-ers ever

2. not funny at all anymore

wtf.gif

Yeah, Eddie Murphy's movies of late have been aimed at children and teenagers

Imagine That

SHreks (1-4)

Haunted Mansion

Meet Dave

Norbit

Dreamgirls was good though, but it's weird the direction he's been going. So edgy, funny, and cutthroat, but he wants none of the 48 hours or Beverly Hills Cop type of stuff anymore.

I think it all started when he got arrested for trying to pick up a transvestite and he tried to change his image from there

I agree.

With the exception of Shrek, he hasn't done anything good since Coming To America.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 18 2009, 12:17 PM)
Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin are two comedians who have squandered their talent.  It really depressed me.  Both are capable of so much more.  Even though it's not a great movie, Bowfinger had glimpses of what made them so funny and great.  It depresses me to think about them now.

I'd prefer that Martin do more serious stuff like Shopgirl or And The Band Played On to continually playing the father of a gaggle of children. I mean, he's always charming...but I really miss the more edgy stuff. He was a great straight man to John Candy's comedy in Planes, Trains, & Automobiles. That and The Jerk may be his best two comedic roles IMO.

Murphy is just a mess.

Was there anything charming about The Pink Panther fiascoes?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 18 2009, 03:55 PM)
Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin are two comedians who have squandered their talent.  It really depressed me.  Both are capable of so much more.  Even though it's not a great movie, Bowfinger had glimpses of what made them so funny and great.  It depresses me to think about them now.

Murphy is just a mess.

Being funny takes motivation. These guys are both so loaded with cash that they can afford to coast through a movie, playing it safe. Any risk they take comedically or otherwise at this point jeopardizes the cash flow.

QUOTE (goose @ Jun 18 2009, 07:17 PM)

Murphy is just a mess.

Being funny takes motivation. These guys are both so loaded with cash that they can afford to coast through a movie, playing it safe. Any risk they take comedically or otherwise at this point jeopardizes the cash flow.

Is it pure greed? You would think with financial security they would take some chances, since they built their careers on chances. Depressing.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 18 2009, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Jun 18 2009, 07:17 PM)

Murphy is just a mess.

Is it pure greed? You would think with financial security they would take some chances, since they built their careers on chances. Depressing.

I wouldn't call it greed. Just comfort. Being the brash, struggling artist is cool in your early twenties. After 35, I'm sure rolling in a Jag feels like a pretty cool alternative.

This is why guys like Lenny Bruce are idolized decades after they pass. They keep their edge. Unfortunately that seems to come at a price.

Yes. Inspiring my daughter to say, "I would like to buy a hamburger!" in a funny accent. smile.gif

Beyond that. No.

I used to like him until I went to the premier of Beverly Hills Cop 2 and watched how he treated his fans. He literally pushed past the white folk who had their hands out for him to shake and went to black folks only.

I mean it was REALLY obvious that he was not interested in meeting his caucasian fans.

Never watched anything by him after that. They were casting/filming

for his new movie here in Colorado 15 minutes from my house and you couldn't have paid me to go check out the filming.

Edited by nobodys hero

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 18 2009, 01:43 PM)
Yeah, Eddie Murphy's movies of late have been aimed at children and teenagers

Imagine That
SHreks (1-4)
Haunted Mansion
Meet Dave
Norbit

Dreamgirls was good though, but it's weird the direction he's been going. So edgy, funny, and cutthroat, but he wants none of the 48 hours or Beverly Hills Cop type of stuff anymore.

I think it all started when he got arrested for trying to pick up a transvestite and he tried to change his image from there

Norbit, yes, all of the Dr. Doolittle or Nutty Professor stuff or whatever. (I get them mixed up, as Hollywood has definitely OD'd on black guys in fat suits).

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2009, 06:16 PM)
two things come to my mind when i see his name
1. was one of the funniest motherf-ers ever
2. not funny at all anymore
wtf.gif

He is not funny...........you could say his mouthwash " Just ain't making it "

I agree.

Remember when Delirious came out?

That was funny shit, pretty edgy for it's time.