ANVIL

Rushman14

myself and 3 of my best buddys have been into them since the first album . way back in 1982/83 . a lot of the stuff is out of print for now but if you can get copy of METAL ON METAL, you will be doing this 1022.gif in no time

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 10 2009, 03:37 PM)
myself and 3 of my best buddys have been into them since the first album . way back in 1982/83 . a lot of the stuff is out of print for now but if you can get copy of METAL ON METAL, you will be doing this 1022.gif  in no time
1022.gif

had you heard about the documentary? I think it's opening in limited release out here in Los Angeles next month. I'm so there. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 10 2009, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 10 2009, 03:37 PM)
myself and 3 of my best buddys have been into them since the first album . way back in 1982/83 . a lot of the stuff is out of print for now but if you can get copy of METAL ON METAL, you will be doing this 1022.gif  in no time
1022.gif

had you heard about the documentary? I think it's opening in limited release out here in Los Angeles next month. I'm so there. 1022.gif

oh yeah, it is coming to n.y. also. right after that it comes out on d.v.d.

1022.gif

I dunno, no disrespect to the anvil boys - but i always thought they kinda were - erm ........... not good. laugh.gif

this movie looks cool though......... Maybe a doc on annihilator would have been better......... or SLAYER!

these guys were like a helix to me....... could have would have.

QUOTE (rotting @ Mar 10 2009, 09:15 PM)

......... Maybe a doc on annihilator would have been better.........

you and the band would prob be the only ones watching it.............. tongue.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 10 2009, 05:37 PM)
myself and 3 of my best buddys have been into them since the first album . way back in 1982/83 . a lot of the stuff is out of print for now but if you can get copy of METAL ON METAL, you will be doing this 1022.gif in no time
1022.gif

Alright, metaldad, do me a solid and name for me what you think are their two best titles. I'm figurin' that those two will fall within their first five releases or so.

I really never heard of these clowns in any capacity, other than maybe coming across their name randomly. I honestly can't picture them being really that good at their craft. But, I have heard a bunch of positive hype surrounding this documentary of theirs. The guys from The Metal Show were talking it up, and I've also read a brief preview on the web. This past week I saw a promo for the vid on the tube a few times.

Even though I know nothing of the variables here, I can still imagine this doc. to be entertaining. That is, if the band has some real crazy schitt going on in their past. Who produced this project? Was it VH1? The band and their management probably petitioned VH1's Behind The Music to do an episode, but, when the creative personnel looked at the material, they deemed it worthy of doing a full-lenght film. Has to be good. Are they releasing this thing in theaters?! If so, that's peculiar.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 12 2009, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 10 2009, 05:37 PM)
1022.gif

Alright, metaldad, do me a solid and name for me what you think are their two best titles. I'm figurin' that those two will fall within their first five releases or so.

I really never heard of these clowns in any capacity, other than maybe coming across their name randomly. I honestly can't picture them being really that good at their craft. But, I have heard a bunch of positive hype surrounding this documentary of theirs. The guys from The Metal Show were talking it up, and I've also read a brief preview on the web. This past week I saw a promo for the vid on the tube a few times.

Even though I know nothing of the variables here, I can still imagine this doc. to be entertaining. That is, if the band has some real crazy schitt going on in their past. Who produced this project? Was it VH1? The band and their management probably petitioned VH1's Behind The Music to do an episode, but, when the creative personnel looked at the material, they deemed it worthy of doing a full-lenght film. Has to be good. Are they releasing this thing in theaters?! If so, that's peculiar.

METAL ON METAL and FORGED IN FIRE are my favs. the music is just great metal. a lot of lame words but the music is the shit. dickhead lars from metallica says if it was not for ANVIL there might not be a metallica. well , take them on tour jackass. anyway, they took some really lame photos back n the day and did not really take themselfs to seriously. that and band record labels did them in pretty much. just killer drumming and killer riffs

1022.gif

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 15 2009, 09:55 PM)
Completely off topic, but what about Cirith Ungol? I've seen this name mentioned alongside bands like Anvil. Are they one of Metal's NWOBHM? Are they any good, or do they take it in the rear?

since i have never heard a single note by them i have no f-n clue

1022.gif

I actually went and saw this last night here in Austin. Sxsw film fest is happening this week, and they had a showing of it. I'd never heard of this band before, and since it was titled "Anvil: The Real Spinal Tap," I thought at first it was a joke tongue.gif But basically it was a documentary about the singer (Lips) and drummer, who are now in their 50's and are still trying to get a record deal. It was even a tear-jerker at times. My friend sitting next to me was balling by the end of it tongue.gif But overall I enjoyed it. I'd recommend it for any rocker/metalhead wink.gif

I heard some guys on The Stern Show talking about it today, and after that preview I wanna see it....I love rockumentaries.

i saw it monday night . great story. even if you don't like metal it's just a great story about 2 guy's that met when they were 14 yrs old and started a band and are still playing together after 32 years . they played about 5 songs after the film and it was f-n great

long live ANVIL

1022.gif

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Apr 8 2009, 09:44 PM)
But I guess the band is real and people actually care about their story.

yes.gif 32 years and 13 albums

1022.gif

Had the opportunity to see this movie today, I thought it was *excellent*. Truly and inside look at the music/metal industry, the ups and downs and struggles of a band that dances with the big time but never make it through to super stardom.

As a fan of metal, documentaries and ROCKumentaries I would highly recommend this one. Great story and I'll be picking up their new album which will be their first CD in my colelction!

1022.gif

Edit: A bit of a personal burn at the end, Slash from GnR is talking about how lots of bands sell millions of albums but not many have the longevity to last thirty years. He thinks about it a bit and says "The Rolling Stones, The Who and.... you got Anvil". Thanks Slash but I think you forgot another Toronto band up the street from Anvil. laugh.gif

Just watched this today. It was awesome!!! 1022.gif I have heard of Anvil before watching the movie but since they were big in the 80's before my time I didn't really know that much about them. This documentary was done very well and it shows the hard work and dedication it takes to keep a band going for 30 years! The personal sacrifices, anguishes and disappointments and then finally achieving what you have been working your whole life to... play in front of a sold out audience in a huge venue and put out an amazing album.

It's unfortunate but there are so many bands out there that practically kill themselves trying to make it big and be rockstars and you never really get a glimpse into how frustrating that must be. I got a newfound respect and appreciation for another kick ass band to come outta my backyard. biggrin.gif

METAL ON METAL!!! 1022.gif

this movie was bittersweet for me. i have known or been in bands w/ sooooo many clueless dreamers who thought they should be rockstars, so seeing this quality in the anvil guys was kinda uncomfortable for me. i feel bad for their families.

lets face it; most bands aren't very good; some try to make it thru perseverence and hard work, but you can only polish a turd so much. for every excellent band like rush or pantera who busted their asses, there's 1000's of lackluster bands also busting their asses.

parents and guidance councilors often say "you can do anything you want if you try hard enough", but that's not really true. the real truth is "you can TRY to do anything you want, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit". we can't ALL be rockstars/millionaires/NFL/FBI/etc; some (most) of us need to drive the bus/sell the sandwiches/watch the kids/etc... it's called reality.

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Feb 9 2010, 02:22 PM)
I'd never even heard of Anvil until this movie came out. I saw it a few months ago and thought it was really well done. It was great. Really made ya feel for those guys.

I'm gonna check this out soon.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Feb 9 2010, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Feb 9 2010, 02:22 PM)
I'd never even heard of Anvil until this movie came out. I saw it a few months ago and thought it was really well done. It was great. Really made ya feel for those guys.

I'm gonna check this out soon.

Great film

Archived