The "Official" Genesis thread

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 21 2009, 05:09 PM)
My all-time favorite song by Genesis

LOVE IT!

<3

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 21 2009, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 19 2009, 10:37 PM)
Could someone please tell me why Phil Collins is NOT in the Modern Drummer Hall Of Fame?

Makes no sense to me.  I am sure many of you have heard of Phil's side band called Brand X.
It's great stuff.  There is a song called "Nuclear Burn" where Phil just rips it up on the drum kit.
The guy is an amazing drummer.  Where's the love?  wub.gif

You can say the same about a few Drummers that are not in it. I vote every year and have since the 80's . I really don't understand it because it is not like Rolling Stone where people that have no clue about music vote. These are Drummers voting, all i can say is write a letter to Modern Drummer . They might even print it and then you will be famous laugh.gif

Hey MD, that's funny, I did write a letter to Modern Drummer about Phil.

Of course I canceled my subscription too.

Probably didn't help matters.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 21 2009, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 21 2009, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 19 2009, 10:37 PM)
Could someone please tell me why Phil Collins is NOT in the Modern Drummer Hall Of Fame?

Makes no sense to me.  I am sure many of you have heard of Phil's side band called Brand X.
It's great stuff.  There is a song called "Nuclear Burn" where Phil just rips it up on the drum kit.
The guy is an amazing drummer.  Where's the love?  wub.gif

You can say the same about a few Drummers that are not in it. I vote every year and have since the 80's . I really don't understand it because it is not like Rolling Stone where people that have no clue about music vote. These are Drummers voting, all i can say is write a letter to Modern Drummer . They might even print it and then you will be famous laugh.gif

Hey MD, that's funny, I did write a letter to Modern Drummer about Phil.

Of course I canceled my subscription too.

Probably didn't help matters.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 21 2009, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 21 2009, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 21 2009, 01:48 PM)
I'm probably the only guy on this entire forum who loves the self-titled "Shapes" album.

Home By The Sea & Mama are quite possibly two of my all-time favourite songs, period.  yes.gif

Just wanted to mention that.  ph34r.gif

Not on your own at all, I love it. Got it on cassette in 83. Bar Illegal Alien(which is pants), it's quite a lovely album.

Funny, I like "Illegal Alien". I have memories attached to that song, so that's why I like it.

You're not alone at all. I love the Shapes album. They went through a period from 1981-1987, where they were making excellent pop music and could do no wrong.

That all ended with the lackluster We Can't Dance, and Calling All Stations (while better) was pretty bad, too.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 21 2009, 05:15 PM)
Picked up Trespass at Best Buy for only $7.99.

Well, to be honest, they've had the same two copies for months, so I just went ahead and bought one of them.

edited for grammar

Was it the remaster? If not, you got cheated. The remaster is miles better than the original, it's amazing what Nick Davis did on that album.

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Dec 22 2009, 11:10 AM)
I'm probably the only guy on this entire forum who loves the self-titled "Shapes" album.

Home By The Sea & Mama are quite possibly two of my all-time favourite songs, period.  yes.gif

Not on your own at all, I love it. Got it on cassette in 83. Bar Illegal Alien(which is pants), it's quite a lovely album.

Funny, I like "Illegal Alien". I have memories attached to that song, so that's why I like it.

You're not alone at all. I love the Shapes album. They went through a period from 1981-1987, where they were making excellent pop music and could do no wrong.

That all ended with the lackluster We Can't Dance, and Calling All Stations (while better) was pretty bad, too.

I would agree with you about "We Can't Dance" but the song "Hold On My Heart" is a beautiful piece.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 22 2009, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Dec 22 2009, 11:10 AM)

I would agree with you about "We Can't Dance" but the song "Hold On My Heart" is a beautiful piece.

There are a few songs from that album that are some of my favorite Genesis songs of all time. No Son Of Mine, Jesus He Knows Me, Driving The Last Spike, Dreaming While You Sleep, Way Of The World, and Fading Lights.

In fact, half of it is good, another fourth is decent, and the other fourth is pure crap.

Before WCD, though, they were releasing album after album that was solid all the way through.

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Dec 22 2009, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 21 2009, 05:15 PM)
Picked up Trespass at Best Buy for only $7.99.

Well, to be honest, they've had the same two copies for months, so I just went ahead and bought one of them.

edited for grammar

Was it the remaster? If not, you got cheated. The remaster is miles better than the original, it's amazing what Nick Davis did on that album.

Probably not. Like I said, it was only $7.99. Anyways, I've heard a lot of complaints about the most recent reissues being remixed or something, so when I got Selling England, Trick, and Duke I got the '94 remasters, which sound good to me. I suppose when I've got more money I could by the '94 reissue of Abacab and the 2007 reissue, and see if there's a big difference.

I know that a lot of folks don't care for the first Genesis album "From Genesis to Revelation", but I love this little song. Probably my favorite from the first album. Very 1960's sound.

Genesis - "A Place to Call My Own" - 1969

I'm one of those Genesis weirdos who loves all their albums....from "From Genesis to Revelation" to the re-recording of "Carpet Crawlers 1999" and everything in between.

wacko.gif

Tim, hope you dig Trespass. It's a formative album but they already had a LOT going on by that point.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jan 7 2010, 03:15 PM)
Tim, hope you dig Trespass. It's a formative album but they already had a LOT going on by that point.

I don't know if it's considered sacriledge, but... I like it more than Selling England. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 25 2009, 07:29 AM)
Santa delivered the live box set!!! The Rainbow disc is superb.

Happy Christmas fellow MOTSers!!

I just picked up the live box as well. Hate to admit it, but I haven't heard most of these before.

Genesis Live is pretty cool, but HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, Seconds Out is absolutely unreal! I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I think Seconds Out could be the definitive prog rock live album. Phil, Chester, and Bruford are all absolutely on fire! The versions of Suppers Ready and Cinema Show are breathtaking! I am really, really, really, really impressed! wub.gif

I only wish there was a full video of this show.

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Dec 19 2009, 08:44 PM)
Why did I leave The Lamb off of there? Because it's their hardest album to get into.

I beg to differ. Lamb is what got me into Genesis. It's my favorite album, followed by Wind, Cryme and Touch.

Not many current thoughts on Genesis 'round these parts...

Last entry was a ways away.

I got somethin'.

An idea.

I recently went through a noncommital love affair with the Genesis title, 'Wind and Wuthering'...Did you ever think of the way this album might be pronounced in Germany, Slovakia, Chile, Romania, Ukraine or Houston? Something to think about.

No.

That can't be it...The entire idear?

No. That was the bonus 'afterthought'...I just placed if first to ferl with ya.

The idea is this...I love, love, loved that Wind and Wuthering title...loved the balls off that album. Never felt as strongly as this for '76 or '78... 1977 seemed to be the one for me...Thought about taking the relationship up to the next level...But, there wasn't really anywhere else for this thing to go...But, I felt. I felt for her and want more. But, where to get it?

What I noticed was this...From the first batch of Genesis members' solo outings, there were songs that sound very much like they could be late 70's era Genesis...easily, some of 'em...I was noticing that there were quite the many tunes that sound just like they could have appeared on Wind and Wuthering, maybe with just a tad bit of tweaking here and there.

Not only did these solo project songs that I was keying in on sound very much like late 70's Genesis material, but the songs weren't really 'solo' tunes at all...Each and every one of them featured at least one other Genesis member on the recording with the primary artist...How fortuitous is that? Then, I go and learn that a few of these songs were either being considered for actual Genesis albums, or were leftovers from Genesis sessions. Then, atop of that, ya get Phil Collins singing on a number of them too...How much more Genesisian do ya want?

So, what I had on my hands basically was additional Genesis material to satiate that deep hunger I had building for additional Wind and Wuthering stuff...The solo project albums in question are these: Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte, Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling, Anthony Phillips - The Geese and the Ghost, Brand X (Collins) - Product, and Mike Rutherford - Smallcreep's Day.

These albums are all good listens on their own...As a Genesis fan, I would suggest any one of them as additional, support material after you finish absorbing all the Genesis eras that you happen to care for...But, all of these titles contain those one or two tracks which can be 'extracted' from the whole because of their likeness to the material generated by the Genesis band 'collective'.

After extraction is complete and you get the big thumbs up from the guy up in the 'copter (what?), you're ready to assemble that which follows here, that which I offer up to you as a 'present' of sorts...For the Genesis fan who FAR PREFERS the 70's material over the 80's, and feels that there's just wasn't enough of it to savor, this 80 minute playlist will do the trick until we can figure out the next method of getting another fix.

Remember the alcoholic beverage called the Long Island Iced Tea? Well, part of its appeal was the 'illusion' that was produced by mixing all those different, dark-colored liquors in a very specific ratio. Well, the the same exact illusion-building alchemy takes place here as well...Check it, son. Love it like it was one of your own.

Genesis - Missing Pieces '1975-1980'

1. Don't Make Waves - Brand X (Phil -vocals)

2. Which Way The Wind Blows - Ant Phillips (Phil -vocals)

3. The Waters Of Lethe - Tony Banks (instrumental)

4. Star Of Sirius - Steve Hackett (Phil -vocals)

5. Out Into The Daylight - Mike Rutherford (instrumental)

6. The Geese And The Ghost, Pt. 1 - Ant Philllps (instrumental)

7. Someone Else's Dream - Tony Banks (Kim Beacon - vocals)

8. God If I Saw Her Now - Ant Phillips (Phil - vocals)

9. ...And So To F... - Brand X (instrumental)

10. Cats And Rats (In The Neigborhood) Rutherford (Noel McCalla - vocals)

11. Soho - Brand X (Phil -vocals)

12. The Geese And The Ghost, Pt. 2 - Ant Phillips (instrumental)

13. Ace Of Wands - Steve Hackett (instrumental)

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 29 2010, 01:27 AM)

I love Smallcreep's Day.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 29 2010, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 29 2010, 01:27 AM)

I love Smallcreep's Day.

That's actually my least favourite title...but I have opened up much more to Smallcreep's, as of late...Have you tried either the Hackett or Phillips titles?

These two are the ones which MOST resemble straight-up mid-to-late 70's Genesis...I know that you might be saying to yourself that Ant Phillips split out way back on the Genesis timeline, but he never left the family...

Ant's '77 solo effort which I recommend here is actually just an updated version of the 'Tresspass' material...with both Collins and Rutherford assisting throughout! Very Genesisian...Most of the hardcore crowd believes the '75 Hackett and '77 Phillips titles to be some 'missing' Genesis material of sorts.

Then, there isn't a bad thing to say about both Brand X's - Product '79 or Tony Banks - A Curious Feelling '79...Brand X is Collins' career-redeeming venture into Jazz Fusion, and Tony Bank's title is a worthy listen on it's own...

The instrumental piece "From the Undertow" was originally intended to be the intro to "Undertow" from '...And Then Three'...and both 'Somebody Else's Dream' and 'The Waters of Lethe' might have begun life as potential Genesis material. They both sound so much like the band's general collective vibe.

Brand X's Product is something you very much should check into. If you aren't already comfortable with carefree explorations into the genre of 'Jazz Fusion', don't be frightened away by the prospect of this one being of that particular ilk.

The instrumental complexity of 1979's Product is nothing you wouldn't already feel comfortable with listening to if you've already happened to acquaint yerself with the instrumentals found on Genesis' Wind And Wuthering title. Not too far off...PLUS, it ain't all instrumental complexity on this one...Phil Collins SINGS two of the titles found on 'Product'...both of which I've included on my above compilation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_(Brand_X_album)

Brand X- Product

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Geese_and_the_Ghost

Anthony Phillips - The Geese and the Ghost

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyage_of_the_Acolyte

Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Curious_Feeling

Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallcreep%27s_Day_(album)

Mike Rutherford - Smallcreep's Day

Edited by thelocator

I love that damn book. Lots of great info and anecdotes to be found...and the pictures. We always buy stuff for the pictures right? They're killer.

I'm passing on the remixed/remastered CD/DVD boxes, but the one that I DO eventually want to acquire is the Live DVD box, which has DVDs of "Three Sides Live", "The Mama Tour" and "Live at Wembley 1987" and "The Way We Walk".

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 1 2010, 05:37 PM)
I love that damn book. Lots of great info and anecdotes to be found...and the pictures. We always buy stuff for the pictures right? They're killer.

I'm passing on the remixed/remastered CD/DVD boxes, but the one that I DO eventually want to acquire is the Live DVD box, which has DVDs of "Three Sides Live", "The Mama Tour" and "Live at Wembley 1987" and "The Way We Walk".

Do you mean the LIVE 'CD' box that I just posted, with the rare, complete "Live At The Rainbow" concert from 1973, that I assume most folks haven't heard yet...OR is that NOT a typo you just typed, and you actually DO mean a completely other, new product (is there no end in sight? lol.), some new, LIVE DVD package? And, would this new thing include both of those 1976 and 1980 shows that I adore so? I was assuming 'a typo' because I had never heard of a Three Sides DVD.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 1 2010, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 1 2010, 05:37 PM)
I love that damn book.  Lots of great info and anecdotes to be found...and the pictures.  We always buy stuff for the pictures right?  They're killer.

Do you mean the LIVE 'CD' box that I just posted, with the rare, complete "Live At The Rainbow" concert from 1973, that I assume most folks haven't heard yet...OR is that NOT a typo you just typed, and you actually DO mean a completely other, new product (is there no end in sight? lol.), some new, LIVE DVD package? And, would this new thing include both of those 1976 and 1980 shows that I adore so? I was assuming 'a typo' because I had never heard of a Three Sides DVD.

Yes. This is an altogether different box set which was released after the Live 1973-1992 CD/DVD box. I *think* it's called The Movie Box.

Three Sides Live was released on VHS and Laserdisc but has not had a DVD release until now. Same with The Mama Tour.

I wish it gathered all the existing earlier footage (read: 1980 and before) as well, but it does not.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 2 2010, 07:52 AM)
All of the Genesis boxes are examples of how to do box sets right. The interviews are fantastic, the live bits and pieces are great, the little documentaries. I love them all.

They are incredible packages.

I wish I liked the mastering on them. Sorry, I'm old-fashioned. smile.gif