What I thought

CeeJ

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 12 2008, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Dec 11 2008, 10:45 PM)
If Grand Designs is for something specific, that should be indicated in a place where people joining the board can see and understand it, and not be something that can only be discovered through exhaustive research. 

I think it's quite understandable that people would interpret a description of "Style without substance, stuff without style" as an indication that they can post in that section pretty much anything they want to that doesn't break the board's rules regarding content.

Quite true.

When I first joined, I thought all of the spam threads ("Let's Count!") were the norm around GD. It wasn't until the July Spam War broke out that I discovered differently.

It doesn't bother me at all. I'll read/post in the threads that interest me, and ignore the others. This does include several of the appreciation threads as well as anything spawned from the brain of Tick.

that may have something to do with me unsure.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The threads as "Word association," "Let's get 2112 replies,"

"Tell a lie," "Once upon a time," "Post a verb" are all threads

that were here when I got here too. There were also a few other

"game type" threads. Those were alot of fun. The there is also

the "animated thread" and a few games that people have links

to here also.

A few months ago there was an issue with all the "SPAM" threads

popping up. That was taken under control and along with the

newer ones that were just popping daily, there were 2 that

we lost that were here even before all of that. Testy's and Blonde's.

Those threads were "THE SPAM THREADS" that were played in on

the regular basis.

As far as what we all seem to think about Grand Designs and what

it is, should be, or was meant to be. I wasn't here when GD was born.

So when I went searching, I found the "Random Samples Reclamation

Project". As far as I can tell, this was to make a place for the threads

that didn't belong over in RS. The games listed above, some joke

threads, and other silliness that was "covering up" the threads they

were trying to post in.

I know that some people are thinking "What is the big deal"???

But if you want to go and play in GD, as you always did, you have

to first get past all the other stuff first.

There are members here that used to sit for HOURS and play in GD.

It was a nightly party over here. We would jump thread to thread

and have conversations in each one. I really got to know alot about

the members here through GD. And alot of people will agree with

me on that.

By all means, I have never said to lock down all the appreciation

threads that are here. no.gif I just thought that instead of having more

add the rest of the appreciation to 1 thread. Maybe we can then get

GD back to what it once was.

As I said before, I was not a member when GD was born, but I have

watched as the mods and admins have tried to keep it cleaned up.

I remember being told you could SPAM with a topic over here. And

I think that is why those threads mentioned by GeddysMullet have

lasted as long as they have.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Dec 12 2008, 05:35 PM)
This deluge of similar threads happens all the damned time in the other subforums. Give it a week or two and they'll go away. Not sure why everyone is getting worked up, or why this "old GD good, new GD bad" crap is getting dragged out again.

Well, if you read her post, she just explained why it bothers her and many other posters.

It happened in RS too, remember? People don't like change maybe, i dunno. I thought the RS reclamation was stupid too, but it happened and GD was born. Now people that like GD the way it was are doing the same thing.

We've seen really good threads DIE because of spam threads and appreciation threads taking over the main page. A lot of posters just refuse to go to page two. Maybe that's the issue, i dunno.

All I can say is the point was considered valid when it was the whiners of RS, so it should be considered valid here too. Y'know?

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 12 2008, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 12 2008, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Dec 11 2008, 10:45 PM)
If Grand Designs is for something specific, that should be indicated in a place where people joining the board can see and understand it, and not be something that can only be discovered through exhaustive research.

We took it for granted that members would be sharp enough to figure out for themselves what this forum is via reading of the threads conained herein. We're just not the "draw you a picture" types.

Well, yes, but when I got here- and it's been less than a year - there was a little of everything on the first page of GD. A few appreciation threads, a poll or three, some spam, some truly creative and funny, if occasionally mildly disturbing, threads.

All three seemed to be part of the normal landscape.

Considering how long we let the spam continue, I can understand how people would have assumed this was a spam forum.

It was GM's comment about how "everything needs to be clearly explained" that I don't get (neither do I understand how a few mouse clicks and maybe ten minutes worth of reading is considered "exhaustive research", but that's probably just me). It's my assertion that anyone should be able to understand what a forum is for by scanning thread titles and reading posts. Maybe we should put it in big bold letters in the FAQ that GD is not a spam forum.

I also have to admit to just not getting why anyone would spam in the first place. It just strikes me as a big waste of time for all involved.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 12 2008, 01:43 PM)
This deluge of similar threads happens all the damned time in the other subforums. Give it a week or two and they'll go away. Not sure why everyone is getting worked up, or why this "old GD good, new GD bad" crap is getting dragged out again.

Well, if you read her post, she just explained why it bothers her and many other posters.

It happened in RS too, remember? People don't like change maybe, i dunno. I thought the RS reclamation was stupid too, but it happened and GD was born. Now people that like GD the way it was are doing the same thing.

We've seen really good threads DIE because of spam threads and appreciation threads taking over the main page. A lot of posters just refuse to go to page two. Maybe that's the issue, i dunno.

All I can say is the point was considered valid when it was the whiners of RS, so it should be considered valid here too. Y'know?

Read it and disagreed.

The good threads might get pushed back sometimes. It happens. If they're genuinely interesting, they get bumped back to the top. If people are too lazy to go to page 2 to find a thread they liked, that's their problem.

I just have to wonder where this is supposed to end. Are we going to have a new subforum every time someone thinks the last one got too cluttered? Or should the admins just lock every thread that doesn't meet your approval?

Pure, post-whoring spam is easy to spot, but you're blurring the lines here.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Dec 12 2008, 05:57 PM)

Read it and disagreed.

The good threads might get pushed back sometimes. It happens. If they're genuinely interesting, they get bumped back to the top. If people are too lazy to go to page 2 to find a thread they liked, that's their problem.

I just have to wonder where this is supposed to end. Are we going to have a new subforum every time someone thinks the last one got too cluttered? Or should the admins just lock every thread that doesn't meet your approval?

I don't remember exactly where you stood when the RS reclamation thing went down, but I don't remember you jumping to any of our defense when WE were getting crucified for upsetting the status quo.

So this just seems like you have chosen a side in something and will change your opinion to suit that.

And again... for those that READ... CeeJ NEVER f***ing asked for anything to be closed. The original thread, now closed, only asked for a combining of them and not to get out of hand. AND... it was done in a nice way with respect being shown to everyone until it wasn't shown to her.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 12 2008, 01:45 PM)
Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

http://www.rocklibrary.com/images/EntityImages/1000/1076/Bob%20Dylan%205.3.66.jpg

This is fine for some and sad for others.  That's just life

He knows changes aren't permanent,

But change is.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 12 2008, 03:57 PM)

Read it and disagreed.

I don't remember exactly where you stood when the RS reclamation thing went down, but I don't remember you jumping to any of our defense when WE were getting crucified for upsetting the status quo.

So this just seems like you have chosen a side in something and will change your opinion to suit that.

And again... for those that READ... CeeJ NEVER f***ing asked for anything to be closed. The original thread, now closed, only asked for a combining of them and not to get out of hand. AND... it was done in a nice way with respect being shown to everyone until it wasn't shown to her.

I honestly don't remember where I stood back then either. I'd go dig up that thread to find out, but I hate reading my old posts.

I'm changing my opinion to suit what, exactly?

I never said Ceej wanted anything closed. I'm just trying to figure out what the end result of this is supposed to be. You guys are demanding something and I'm not entirely sure what you want to get in the end.

And yeah, I'm pissed at the disrespectful replies you guys have gotten, they're partly why this has gone way out of proportion.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Dec 12 2008, 08:30 PM)

Read it and disagreed.

I honestly don't remember where I stood back then either. I'd go dig up that thread to find out, but I hate reading my old posts.

I never said Ceej wanted anything closed. I'm just trying to figure out what the end result of this is supposed to be. You guys are demanding something and I'm not entirely sure what you want to get in the end.

And yeah, I'm pissed at the disrespectful replies you guys have gotten, they're partly why this has gone way out of proportion.

I hate drawing this out more, but again... if the thread is read... no one demanded anything. I don't even agree with CeeJ on the topic to begin with, which I made clear.

I feel that in berating the spammers and the appreciationers, she's in effect... acting as lame as the crew that hated us back in the RS reclaim days. Big difference being though... she has no hatred toward any of them... just thought condensing them would be good for the forum, which I do agree with.

What I'm saying on the side choosing is... I think back then... you were with the RS reclaimers, not in principle, but because of who was being targeted. And now that it's some of those original people doing the complaining now... even though it is the same principle you stood with before... you jump ship on the issue and side against us still. It has nothing to do with the issue here, but rather who is making the point to you. IMHO. I could be wrong. If I am... sorry.

I appreciate that you recognize that the tone a slight few had toward us in the last thread was disrespectful. I think it's safe to say that it was only based on an unwarranted hatred of us based on "partisanship". wink.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 12 2008, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Dec 12 2008, 08:30 PM)

Read it and disagreed.

I hate drawing this out more, but again... if the thread is read... no one demanded anything. I don't even agree with CeeJ on the topic to begin with, which I made clear.

I feel that in berating the spammers and the appreciationers, she's in effect... acting as lame as the crew that hated us back in the RS reclaim days. Big difference being though... she has no hatred toward any of them... just thought condensing them would be good for the forum, which I do agree with.

What I'm saying on the side choosing is... I think back then... you were with the RS reclaimers, not in principle, but because of who was being targeted. And now that it's some of those original people doing the complaining now... even though it is the same principle you stood with before... you jump ship on the issue and side against us still. It has nothing to do with the issue here, but rather who is making the point to you. IMHO. I could be wrong. If I am... sorry.

I appreciate that you recognize that the tone a slight few had toward us in the last thread was disrespectful. I think it's safe to say that it was only based on an unwarranted hatred of us based on "partisanship". wink.gif

trink39.gif

I assure you, my opinion here has nothing to do with anything else on the board. I don't know if you're referring to SoCN or some other shit that's happened, but whatever it is, it has nothing to do with this. I can only hope the same thing applies to everyone else.

Honestly, I think most of the creative minds that made Grand Designs so stinkin funny have moved on, or don't choose to partisipate any longer. The fact of the matter is, this forum will remain what its become, and it to me is clicky, and very uninteresting. I don't want to see this forum change just to make me happy. As it has been said several times throughout this thread. Change is inevetable, and its constant. There would be no way to recreate any era of lunacy, and the magic it once held. Its not even worth trying. What I would say is this. If Grand Designs is a black canvass to be creative, it has become nothing more then a bunch of individual chat room threads, a buddy network that really only accomodates a select few.

There is barely any activity in this forum on a daily basis anymore, because I believe most folks pretty much feel its a waste of time to enter this forum of nothingness.

Who knows where it will go in the future, but to those who remember its golden age, its just hard to appreciate this forum as anything but the insignifigance its become.

Thats just the personal thoughts, from one of the members for which this forum even exists.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 13 2008, 04:59 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 12 2008, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 12 2008, 01:46 PM)
Evolution.

and variation. yes.gif

AHA!!! Exactly my point since the beginning when RS was reclaimed.

BUT... since that point didn't work then, and the powers that be caved to the pleas of the people bitching about what THEY didn't like... then maybe it's time for the board to "evolve" once again and a sub-forum for the spam and appreciation threads can go.

While it would be great if everyone could just get along... it couldn't happen in RS when the noobs of the day tried to make the place a more fun place to be... so we got put here. Now the new noobs want to change THIS into mindless spam drivel and appreciation threads.

Precedent was made when GD was created to appease the whiners of the past. And, in my opinion, that strategy might well be the best plan of action to halt the further degredation of GD. yes.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury... i rest my case. biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif Yeah, I thought this exact thing last night. If there needs to be another sub-forum (to please the largest amount of people) then so be it.

But if there aren't as many funny threads as back in the day then that's not because of 2 dozen appreciation threads. A funny person will post their stuff in the middle of all of it. If it's great then it'll last.

Wow, so much DRAMA over a bunch of appreciation threads and SPAM and funny jokes. Who knew a bunch of threads intended to shower people with praise could cause so many people to get pissed at each other. Jeez... eyesre4.gif

No, we aren't going to make a separate SPAM/appreciation thread forum. One SPAM thread is more than enough. You guys (except for GAAC) complained about all the SPAM threads and we closed them up. And though the appreciation threads are very MySpace/Facebook/high school, they're ultimately harmless (no offense to those involved with them). Though I do agree that we don't need 20 of them. We are discussing what, if anything, needs to be done with them.

But, did we need all this drama to register that complaint? CeeJ's original post in her thread yesterday had the right idea, but it quickly blew up into all this.

About a year ago we had an idea that involved all the birthday/anniversary/post level threads...all this appreciation thread bullshit has brought that idea back up again. That idea also involved the Finding My Way subforum. If we get a firm plan down we'll let you all know.

And Necro, you insist on thinking we "powers that be" banished you guys and your funny threads to GD. While we did take into consideration the complaints of those who missed how RS used to be at that time, making a new forum to celebrate this kind of "style without substance" that all of a sudden became popular was the main reason we created GD. We said as much in the RS Reclamation thread that CeeJ keeps quoting, and nothing has changed since then.

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Dec 12 2008, 05:22 PM)

The threads as "Word association," "Let's get 2112 replies,"
"Tell a lie," "Once upon a time," "Post a verb" are all threads
that were here when I got here too. There were also a few other
"game type" threads. Those were alot of fun. The there is also
the "animated thread" and a few games that people have links
to here also.

A few months ago there was an issue with all the "SPAM" threads
popping up. That was taken under control and along with the
newer ones that were just popping daily, there were 2 that
we lost that were here even before all of that. Testy's and Blonde's.
Those threads were "THE SPAM THREADS" that were played in on
the regular basis.

As far as what we all seem to think about Grand Designs and what
it is, should be, or was meant to be. I wasn't here when GD was born.
So when I went searching, I found the "Random Samples Reclamation
Project". As far as I can tell, this was to make a place for the threads
that didn't belong over in RS. The games listed above, some joke
threads, and other silliness that was "covering up" the threads they
were trying to post in.

I know that some people are thinking "What is the big deal"???
But if you want to go and play in GD, as you always did, you have
to first get past all the other stuff first.

There are members here that used to sit for HOURS and play in GD.
It was a nightly party over here. We would jump thread to thread
and have conversations in each one. I really got to know alot about
the members here through GD. And alot of people will agree with
me on that.

By all means, I have never said to lock down all the appreciation
threads that are here. no.gif I just thought that instead of having more
add the rest of the appreciation to 1 thread. Maybe we can then get
GD back to what it once was.

As I said before, I was not a member when GD was born, but I have
watched as the mods and admins have tried to keep it cleaned up.
I remember being told you could SPAM with a topic over here. And
I think that is why those threads mentioned by GeddysMullet have
lasted as long as they have.

trink39.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/iagree.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 12 2008, 09:35 PM)
Wow, so much DRAMA over a bunch of appreciation threads and SPAM and funny jokes. Who knew a bunch of threads intended to shower people with praise could cause so many people to get pissed at each other. Jeez... eyesre4.gif

No, we aren't going to make a separate SPAM/appreciation thread forum. One SPAM thread is more than enough. You guys (except for GAAC) complained about all the SPAM threads and we closed them up. And though the appreciation threads are very MySpace/Facebook/high school, they're ultimately harmless (no offense to those involved with them). Though I do agree that we don't need 20 of them. We are discussing what, if anything, needs to be done with them.

But, did we need all this drama to register that complaint? CeeJ's original post in her thread yesterday had the right idea, but it quickly blew up into all this.

About a year ago we had an idea that involved all the birthday/anniversary/post level threads...all this appreciation thread bullshit has brought that idea back up again. That idea also involved the Finding My Way subforum. If we get a firm plan down we'll let you all know.

And Necro, you insist on thinking we "powers that be" banished you guys and your funny threads to GD. While we did take into consideration the complaints of those who missed how RS used to be at that time, making a new forum to celebrate this kind of "style without substance" that all of a sudden became popular was the main reason we created GD. We said as much in the RS Reclamation thread that CeeJ keeps quoting, and nothing has changed since then.

Okay. But i was privvy to what was said "behind the scenes" as it were, remember? It was mass complaining that started it. Let's not try to rewrite history here. trink39.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 12 2008, 07:35 PM)

And, who started all this drama?

It's funny that the people who are friends and have met are always right.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I don't want my NEW thread in GD. I wish you would remove it. I won't be here to use it anyway.

Cheers

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 12 2008, 08:58 PM)

Okay. But i was privvy to what was said "behind the scenes" as it were, remember? It was mass complaining that started it. Let's not try to rewrite history here. trink39.gif

I'm not trying to rewrite history. I just said that the complaints back then about how RS wasn't like it used to be were taken into consideration. It's what started the whole process. But in the end it became obvious that the GD brand of humor did deserve a home of it's own, the complaints nonwithstanding. I'm not saying anything now that wasn't said when GD first opened.

QUOTE (Daylin @ Dec 12 2008, 10:00 PM)

I said it before and I'll say it again. I don't want my NEW thread in GD. I wish you would remove it. I won't be here to use it anyway.

Cheers

I hope this isn't true. I don't want you thinking that any of this was about you or your thread. Matter of fact, YOUR thread was the first and only one that I ever posted in. I think they have more significance over in RS when someone attains a badge or a birthday or something like that.

I know that when CeeJ started this, it was in response to a few of us discussing them before yours was ever made.

Please Lin, you have to know that no one here could possibly be upset that you had a thread. It was about the redundancy of them and some other reasons that were touched on during both discussions.

And believe me, the people that have met and hung out are HARDLY in agreement on this stuff. Me and 73 butt heads all the time. Right 1? laugh.gif There's no conspiracy or anything, trust me.

It was something CeeJ wanted to discuss, that's all. If LA and GAAC had just kept their mouth's shut, or at the least... been respectful when they replied, it would be over and never have turned into this.

I am greatly sorry that you have taken offense to this and hope to hell you don't mean it when you say you won't be here. sad.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 12 2008, 10:05 PM)

I'm not trying to rewrite history. I just said that the complaints back then about how RS wasn't like it used to be were taken into consideration. It's what started the whole process. But in the end it became obvious that the GD brand of humor did deserve a home of it's own, the complaints nonwithstanding. I'm not saying anything now that wasn't said when GD first opened.

Okay... but for those who are new... i just wanted to point out that there was far more stuff about the whole thing than was covered in that thread. And a lot of it was scathing towards us and took a long time to get over. Y'know?

Which is my point of why I don't want to be hypocritical about it. That's all.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 12 2008, 09:23 PM)

Okay... but for those who are new... i just wanted to point out that there was far more stuff about the whole thing than was covered in that thread. And a lot of it was scathing towards us and took a long time to get over. Y'know?

I'll laugh my ass of if anyone is planning a boycott over this. Talk about history repeating itself.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 12 2008, 09:23 PM)

Yep, there was a handful of people that looked down on you and tick and Goob and Geds for all the "silly" threads that became prevalent in RS. And yeah, some of it was scathing and ugly. Some of that complaining was done out on the board IIRC, so it wasn't much of a secret to anyone who was around back then. Some people don't get that kind of humor and complained about having to step over those threads to get to the ones they wanted. Of course we considered their complaints because we have to consider ANY complaint put on our desk.

But in the end it wasn't those people or their complaints that made us decide to open GD. They simply started the discussion. GD would have happened sooner or later anyway. One of you clowns would have suggested it, and it would have been a good idea. tongue.gif

Funny how we've had more complaints about how GD is being overrun by "undesirable" threads than we ever received about RS. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Daylin @ Dec 12 2008, 10:00 PM)

Cheers

Why are you mad ? I don't understand why you are taking any of this personal ? Appreciation threads became the flavor of the month, and it all just got crazier with each additional thread. As 1001 said, its very high school. Everyone loves you Daylin, your one of the trully special people on the board.

This whole thing gets more silly by the minute. eyesre4.gif

Archived