http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...ndpost&p=390381

-------------------------------

At this time Signals1982 was one of the members

that enjoyed Spamming. Here he and 1-0-0-1 talk

about SPAM.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...ndpost&p=391160

Enjoying reading or not.

I think I will end with a quote from 1-0-0-1.

This is a quote that I found by 1-0-0-1.

1-0-0-1-0-0-1 March 12, 2008

"Grand Designs is NOT supposed to be a spam forum.

It's meant for silly humor with a little spam thrown in."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Grand Designs is for something specific, that should be indicated in a place where people joining the board can see and understand it, and not be something that can only be discovered through exhaustive research.

I think it's quite understandable that people would interpret a description of "Style without substance, stuff without style" as an indication that they can post in that section pretty much anything they want to that doesn't break the board's rules regarding content.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Dec 11 2008, 10:45 PM)
If Grand Designs is for something specific, that should be indicated in a place where people joining the board can see and understand it, and not be something that can only be discovered through exhaustive research.

I think it's quite understandable that people would interpret a description of "Style without substance, stuff without style" as an indication that they can post in that section pretty much anything they want to that doesn't break the board's rules regarding content.

Quite true.

When I first joined, I thought all of the spam threads ("Let's Count!") were the norm around GD. It wasn't until the July Spam War broke out that I discovered differently.

It doesn't bother me at all. I'll read/post in the threads that interest me, and ignore the others. This does include several of the appreciation threads as well as anything spawned from the brain of Tick.

We took it for granted that members would be sharp enough to figure out for themselves what this forum is via reading of the threads conained herein. We're just not the "draw you a picture" types.

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Dec 11 2008, 08:13 PM)

I was doing some research that I thought I would
share with some of the people that weren't here
at the beginning of Grand Designs.

I, wasn't a member here @ that time but have
found it very interesting to see how GD was formed
and why.

There are a few links here that you may follow,
or not, but this will explain what GD was suppose
to be.

----------------------------
Random Samples Reclamation Project

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...amation+project

---------------------------
Post that actually starts what we know as GD but
what was known @ the beginning as THE WHITE
OF CONFUSION.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...ndpost&p=390381

At this time Signals1982 was one of the members
that enjoyed Spamming. Here he and 1-0-0-1 talk
about SPAM.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...ndpost&p=391160

Enjoying reading or not.

I think I will end with a quote from 1-0-0-1.

This is a quote that I found by 1-0-0-1.

1-0-0-1-0-0-1 March 12, 2008

"Grand Designs is NOT supposed to be a spam forum.
It's meant for silly humor with a little spam thrown in."

goodpost.gif Bless you for trying, Ceej! If someone should post a negative comment about what you're trying to do just consider the source.

Why does it matter!

If spam gets out of control, get rid of the threads and say too much is clogging the board (which is what it is doing, correct?)

I really don't get the big deal confused13.gif Is GD suddenly a governmental agency that needs a constitution to spell it all out?

b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 12 2008, 11:24 AM)
Why does it matter!

If spam gets out of control, get rid of the threads and say too much is clogging the board (which is what it is doing, correct?)

I really don't get the big deal confused13.gif Is GD suddenly a governmental agency that needs a constitution to spell it all out?

b_sigh.gif

They are trying to nip the problem in the bud. People have been told about the problem and they should behave properly.

Watch as Geddy Rulz trys to break the record for most glasses of Pepsi in a row without stopping. The current record in 272. Ready...Set... GO !

------------> trink36.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 12 2008, 11:44 AM)
Watch as Geddy Rulz trys to break the record for most glasses of Pepsi in a row without stopping. The current record in 272. Ready...Set... GO !
------------> trink36.gif

trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Dec 11 2008, 08:22 PM)
Jesus christ. Every attempt you made was shot down. Give it a rest.

And yet... whenever you have a point you want to make, you call people bullies for disagreeing. How's that shoe fitting for ya now that it's on your foot?

There is nothing wrong with what Ceej is trying to convey. She's trying to share what the origins of this forum were for those who weren't here for it. There are people who have fought very hard and practically have bled for this forum's existence.

And never has Ceej been cruel or insulting in anything she's posted. She simply asked for consideration in how certain types of threads overtake an entire forum page.

Personally, I'm not against the appreciation threads - or any thread for that matter. What I feel the issue is, is an infestation of the same type of thread which overtakes an entire page. We've seen it before with polls, this song vs. that song threads, spam threads, etc. etc. There needs to be consideration given, where it seems to be lacking. I've heard some horror stories of that same lack of consideration in places like chat. Sound familiar? Same issue here.

And please... show me where this being "shot down" has occurred? It hasn't. This is an ongoing issue which needs to be resolved in the best way it can be, for all.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 12 2008, 12:08 PM)
here we go again

popcorn.gif

well, ok, MAYBE tongue.gif

No. I'm no drama guy. And nobody eats popcorn in anything I'm involved in. Throw that shit out.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 12 2008, 12:10 PM)
here we go again

popcorn.gif

well, ok, MAYBE  tongue.gif

No. I'm no drama guy. And nobody eats popcorn in anything I'm involved in. Throw that shit out.

tongue.gif

LOL, what snack item would you prefer? laugh.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 12 2008, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 12 2008, 12:10 PM)
here we go again

popcorn.gif

well, ok, MAYBE  tongue.gif

tongue.gif

LOL, what snack item would you prefer? laugh.gif

RAISINETTES!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Come gather 'round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You'll be drenched to the bone.

If your time to you

Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'.

http://www.rocklibrary.com/images/EntityImages/1000/1076/Bob%20Dylan%205.3.66.jpg

This is fine for some and sad for others. That's just life

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 12 2008, 10:54 AM)

We took it for granted that members would be sharp enough to figure out for themselves what this forum is via reading of the threads conained herein. We're just not the "draw you a picture" types.

Well, yes, but when I got here- and it's been less than a year - there was a little of everything on the first page of GD. A few appreciation threads, a poll or three, some spam, some truly creative and funny, if occasionally mildly disturbing, threads.

All three seemed to be part of the normal landscape.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 12 2008, 01:46 PM)
Evolution.

and variation. yes.gif

what's going on? is somebody closing GD down or just a few threads?

i think there are way too many redundant spam thread right now. but, maybe instead of deleting them TRF could archive + lock them. you know. keep the memories or whatever.

everything needs a spring cleaning every few springs anyway.

just don't touch any of ticks threads or someone will get hurt

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 12 2008, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 12 2008, 01:46 PM)
Evolution.

and variation. yes.gif

AHA!!! Exactly my point since the beginning when RS was reclaimed.

BUT... since that point didn't work then, and the powers that be caved to the pleas of the people bitching about what THEY didn't like... then maybe it's time for the board to "evolve" once again and a sub-forum for the spam and appreciation threads can go.

While it would be great if everyone could just get along... it couldn't happen in RS when the noobs of the day tried to make the place a more fun place to be... so we got put here. Now the new noobs want to change THIS into mindless spam drivel and appreciation threads.

Precedent was made when GD was created to appease the whiners of the past. And, in my opinion, that strategy might well be the best plan of action to halt the further degredation of GD. yes.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury... i rest my case. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 12 2008, 01:59 PM)

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury... i rest my case. biggrin.gif

Kenny, you should be a lawyer......serious.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 12 2008, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 12 2008, 01:59 PM)

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury... i rest my case.  biggrin.gif

Kenny, you should be a lawyer......serious.

laugh.gif

That's what I was thinking while I was typing that. z7shysterical.gif I bet I would have gotten OJ put away the FIRST time. yes.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 12 2008, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 12 2008, 10:54 AM)

Well, yes, but when I got here- and it's been less than a year - there was a little of everything on the first page of GD. A few appreciation threads, a poll or three, some spam, some truly creative and funny, if occasionally mildly disturbing, threads.

All three seemed to be part of the normal landscape.

This is exactly right, Mara. I know that I certainly got my impression of what GD was "supposed to be for" from reading the threads that were contained therein. In fact, when I was new here I started my own personal spam thread, because a bunch of people had them and I felt that having my own thread would make me feel less shy of posting. 73 locked it and explained to me that personal spam threads were no longer allowed, but didn't provide any other guidance in re appropriate content for GD. I fought my shyness by posting in such threads as "Word association," "Let's get 2112 replies," "Tell a lie," "Once upon a time," "Post a verb" and the like, and enjoyed it.

I feel slightly insulted by the implication that somehow I wasn't "sharp" enough to figure out what GD was "supposed to be for" based on the generally silly, frivolous or fun threads I found therein. It was obvious to me that they were lighthearted, but not necessarily inherently comedic. I assumed that GD was for non-Rush-related games and other similar tomfoolery Maybe people who were here when GD was formed shouldn't have needed a picture, but by the time I got here, there was NO obvious design for Grand Designs. And with how many people have joined this board in the last year and a half, if the section has become something different from what you didn't want to "draw a picture of," that is not the fault of the members who are only trying to join in and be part of the community.

Archived