I have taken up the bass

edgyspice

Somehow I got it into my head that, at age 29, I would like to learn a musical instrument. A friend of mine had an Ibanez Soundgear bass and practice amp that she had gotten bored with, so she told me I could straight up have it. I picked it up this weekend and haven't done much besides tune it and fool around with a couple of baby exercises (playing a simple part with open strings).

I'll post more as I continue the learning process. If anyone has tips for a rank beginner, I'd love to hear them!

Cool. As for tips...Play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play...

QUOTE (hunter @ Nov 5 2008, 08:06 PM)
Cool. As for tips...Play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play...

Yep. No substitute for practice.

However, I would ask around amongst friends that play and find out the easiest song or two to play that you like to listen to, and learn them as soon as you can.

There is nothing more motivating than actually being able to play a tune you enjoy, and it will spur you on to bigger and better things....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 5 2008, 03:10 PM)

However, I would ask around amongst friends that play and find out the easiest song or two to play that you like to listen to, and learn them as soon as you can.

There is nothing more motivating than actually being able to play a tune you enjoy, and it will spur you on to bigger and better things....

Yep.

Just hold off on trying to learn any Geddy bass lines until at LEAST after the first month. tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 5 2008, 04:00 PM)

Yep.

Just hold off on trying to learn any Geddy bass lines until at LEAST after the first month. tongue.gif

Tru dat! laugh.gif

Congrats on picking up the bass, edgy - I look forward to some of your compositions! trink39.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 5 2008, 01:10 PM)

That's good advice. My friend gave me some books with bass tabs and stuff that she was able to learn (and she's even less musical than I am), so I should be able to start picking things up.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

One idea that I can offer is to replace an area of your life that you may not be happy with with playing the bass. For instance, two years ago, the drummer in my weekend band (who had never played drums before) quit smoking and realized that he needed an outlet to keep his mind off smoking. I found him a cheap set and he started playing every night for like two hours per night. After a while, he had progressed to the point that Fridge is referring to: he started to get excited about what he could play and wanted to learn more and more. Don't know if you smoke and want to quit but the idea is there. Maybe you can apply it to your situation.

The thing is, when you are a kid, you are like a sponge. You can learn things very easily and spend a lot of time practicing because you're a kid. You have nothing else to do right? laugh.gif When we get older, it becomes harder to learn something like this but if the desire is truly there, you'll make it happen. Take baby steps and don't expect too much from yourself too early.

And do yourself a favor: take that bass to a guitar store and talk to a tech about the bass. The bass you've described is a beginner bass and is not the best off quality but is certainly perfect for your situation. The problem may be that the strings are too high off the fret board and the bass may be uncomfortable to play and may hurt your fingers at first. This may discourage you so have a tech look at the bass and set it up so that the action is as low as possible. This may cost you 50 to 75 bucks but considering that you got the bass and amp free, it would be worth it.

Good luck and have fun. Take lessons. You wont regret it.

Edited by rushfanNlv

Thanks, everyone!

So last night I started trying to teach myself how to play a C major scale. The biggest problem for me is stretching that fretting hand. I have very small hands, so playing that low on the fretboard is a huge challenge. I don't want to hurt myself, so does anyone have tips for getting more stretch in my fingers? Besides "keep practicing," I mean, because that pretty much goes without saying.

(rushfanNlv-- I made a note of your tip on lowering the action on the strings. My friend didn't mention having problems when she was playing it, but if I end up in pain I will probably take your advice.)

Try starting with 2112. That album taught me to play bass when I was 14. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher. Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Nov 6 2008, 11:19 AM)
Thanks, everyone!

So last night I started trying to teach myself how to play a C major scale. The biggest problem for me is stretching that fretting hand. I have very small hands, so playing that low on the fretboard is a huge challenge. I don't want to hurt myself, so does anyone have tips for getting more stretch in my fingers? Besides "keep practicing," I mean, because that pretty much goes without saying.

(rushfanNlv-- I made a note of your tip on lowering the action on the strings. My friend didn't mention having problems when she was playing it, but if I end up in pain I will probably take your advice.)

Yeah I would totally check into that. You are already starting off with big ass bass strings which are hard as hell to learn on anyways. And yes, your fingers will hurt at first but anything you can do to minimize the affect will make things easier on you.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Nov 6 2008, 12:19 PM)
Thanks, everyone!

So last night I started trying to teach myself how to play a C major scale. The biggest problem for me is stretching that fretting hand. I have very small hands, so playing that low on the fretboard is a huge challenge. I don't want to hurt myself, so does anyone have tips for getting more stretch in my fingers?

This might sound obvious, but do you keep your fret hand in one position while you play? My first instrument was violin and at first I could not reach 4th finger. I had to shift my hand to reach it and once that didnt require any effort, I kept my hand where it was and worked until I could reach it without straining my wrist.

I realize this basically amounts to saying "practice" and your hands might be smaller then mine(mine are little too), but I just wqnted to add my own experience. Hope this helps smile.gif

QUOTE (yaoi_myantidrug @ Nov 14 2008, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Nov 6 2008, 12:19 PM)
Thanks, everyone!

So last night I started trying to teach myself how to play a C major scale.  The biggest problem for me is stretching that fretting hand.  I have very small hands, so playing that low on the fretboard is a huge challenge.  I don't want to hurt myself, so does anyone have tips for getting more stretch in my fingers?

This might sound obvious, but do you keep your fret hand in one position while you play? My first instrument was violin and at first I could not reach 4th finger. I had to shift my hand to reach it and once that didnt require any effort, I kept my hand where it was and worked until I could reach it without straining my wrist.

I realize this basically amounts to saying "practice" and your hands might be smaller then mine(mine are little too), but I just wqnted to add my own experience. Hope this helps smile.gif

That's a great tip, thank you! I'll definitely try that.

I still have a little bit of trouble with strings buzzing because I'm not fretting correctly, but I'm not too bothered, since I've only been at it a little over a week. laugh.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Nov 5 2008, 03:06 PM)

You forgot to tell the most important part, play!

Oh, and work on the fundamentals!

Bass is like meth. Never once (unless you want to be hooked for life).

Well, at least thats the case with me. Except I really hope it doesn't kill me like meth ph34r.gif

I've been playing for a year now. I actually just made a thread over http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=44722

Practice. And check out my tips at the end of that, well hell might as well call it an essay. trink39.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Nov 22 2008, 12:43 AM)
Great read and great tips, mfratt! Thanks! trink39.gif

I'm still making myself practice every day. I've only missed out once, when I went out and got drunk with a friend one Friday. rofl3.gif I still suck, but I'm getting more stretch in those fingers! laugh.gif

My wife has one of these and says it has helped her bass playing:Gripmaster.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Nov 5 2008, 03:45 PM)
Somehow I got it into my head that, at age 29, I would like to learn a musical instrument. A friend of mine had an Ibanez Soundgear bass and practice amp that she had gotten bored with, so she told me I could straight up have it. I picked it up this weekend and haven't done much besides tune it and fool around with a couple of baby exercises (playing a simple part with open strings).

I'll post more as I continue the learning process. If anyone has tips for a rank beginner, I'd love to hear them!

I've started taking lessons few months ago (and don't worry I'm 36).

It's totally changed my life. I highly recommend it. There's nothing like learning the musical theory and having someone coach your playing.

edgy, I was thinking. You're a Yes fan, I'm a Yes fan. You could always learn how to play "Owner of a Lonely Heart" on bass. laugh.gif Honestly, though, it's an easy song (quite repetitive) to play on bass.

QUOTE (yaoi_myantidrug @ Nov 27 2008, 09:22 PM)
May be kinda soon to ask, but hows the playing goin?

Bump! I was practicing every day at first and then I let a bunch of dumb excuses get in the way. I haven't practiced at all lately (or worked on my art, but that's another story). I need to get back to it! fists crying.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 5 2008, 04:00 PM)

Yep.

Yeah ya don't want to hurt yourself laugh.gif