Funny Dinner Party Themes

Janie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Oct 21 2008, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 21 2008, 03:05 PM)
people win the random crap-filled prize bags.

Do you friends REALLY want to win this?

Especially after a kitty litter cake? ohmy.gif

I've had the cake, by the way. It's pretty damn good. I didn't eat the toosie rolls, though, as I do not like them.

Have a migration dinner.

Everyone cooks a different course of the meal and you travel to each different friends house to eat it.

1) Drinks/H'or Deurves (sp?)

2) Salad/Soup

3) Main Course

4) Dessert/Coffee

You can add different courses at your discretion too - and the time it takes to travel between houses (could be walking if it's a group of neighbours or travelling by car) allows you to be able to eat at all the different houses.

th1245.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 22 2008, 05:38 AM)
I still like my Catwoman idea even though no one took any notice...

http://lostseouls.com/blog13/catwomen.jpg

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/news/catwoman/1catwoman022206.jpg

I'd crash that dinner party. I don't care if there's food or not. tongue.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Oct 22 2008, 04:31 AM)
Have a migration dinner.

Everyone cooks a different course of the meal and you travel to each different friends house to eat it.

1) Drinks/H'or Deurves (sp?)

2) Salad/Soup

3) Main Course

4) Dessert/Coffee

You can add different courses at your discretion too - and the time it takes to travel between houses (could be walking if it's a group of neighbours or travelling by car) allows you to be able to eat at all the different houses.

th1245.gif

I like the idea of these types of dinner "parties" but almost everyone has kids (mostly toddlers) and this is just not possible. Besides, I like the idea that everyone can come into my house, take their shoes off, ramble all around, and just feel like they're at their own home. With loads of kids, it's important to keep them wrangled and in one general location. tongue.gif

Theme? how about Under the Sea

Costumes optional, but if they want they can dress accordingly, especially the kiddos, they ought to be in gear, and everything has something to do with the ocean, even the food

SIDE NOTE: ^^^^^^^^^^ That IS Halle berry in that "pose" isn't it?

I wonder if I could do a "Rush" theme? What kinds of foods could you make for a Rush themed party?

I'm also thinking maybe a New Orleans theme might be fun, plus, I could play some good music.

ETA -- My bad, I just noticed in my notes I'm keeping that iluvgeddy already suggested that! Oopsie.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 21 2008, 12:23 PM)
Jazz night

This intrigues me. I have a lot of jazz music so could have that playing all night if need be.

But, what kind of food would I serve in order to keep with the music?

Are there any specific or typical foods you think about when you think "jazz music?"

How funny would a Love Boat-type cruise ship buffet menu be!?

Cruise Ship Buffet ala Love Boat. I could get some Love Boat DVDs and play those.

Hawaiian Night! That would be fun. All Hawaiian food and have hula-esque music playing.

OMG and 50s Lounge complete with lounge music and martinis. Oh yeah.

I just thought of one...

Saturday Morning breakfast for dinner. Everyone brings their favorite cereal, Maypo, Cream of Wheat... make cinnamon and toast or french toast. Dress like you just woke up. Bring DVD's of cartoons. If there's kids around, they'll probably love it.

Mexican Fiesta would be too easy, since I love to cook and eat Mexican food.

Just remembered the tuna noodle casserole. Still a fave of mine... yes.gif

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Oct 22 2008, 12:27 PM)
Saturday Morning breakfast for dinner. Everyone brings their favorite cereal, Maypo, Cream of Wheat... make cinnamon and toast or french toast. Dress like you just woke up. Bring DVD's of cartoons. If there's kids around, they'll probably love it.

Just remembered the tuna noodle casserole. Still a fave of mine... yes.gif

I like the Saturday morning one. You're right, the kids would love it.

Re: Tuna Noodle Casserole. I love it too! I just found out my friend is going to bring it for my pasta or salad party. I said, "Do you put potato chips on top?" "Yep!" "Do you put peas in it?" "Yep!" I'm stoked. This is the best worst casserole ever.

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 22 2008, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Oct 22 2008, 12:27 PM)
Saturday Morning breakfast for dinner.  Everyone brings their favorite cereal, Maypo, Cream of Wheat... make cinnamon and toast or french toast.  Dress like you just woke up.  Bring DVD's of cartoons.  If there's kids around, they'll probably love it.

Just remembered the tuna noodle casserole.  Still a fave of  mine... yes.gif

I like the Saturday morning one. You're right, the kids would love it.

Re: Tuna Noodle Casserole. I love it too! I just found out my friend is going to bring it for my pasta or salad party. I said, "Do you put potato chips on top?" "Yep!" "Do you put peas in it?" "Yep!" I'm stoked. This is the best worst casserole ever.

I love the idea of the Saturday Morning breakfast idea.! especially w/ jammies included!!

I made tuna casserole for dinner last night. it was DELISH!

you should compile a list of the good suggestions so we have a reference, and then we're not suggesting the same thing over & over, right?

A Food Network theme. Everyone has to pick a favorite Food Network recipe, and bring copies of the recipe for trading.

Or you could pick a certain chef, like Ina Garten (love her!) or Bobby Flay or someone and everyone has to use a recipe from that particular chef.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Oct 23 2008, 08:19 AM)
A Food Network theme. Everyone has to pick a favorite Food Network recipe, and bring copies of the recipe for trading.
Or you could pick a certain chef, like Ina Garten (love her!) or Bobby Flay or someone and everyone has to use a recipe from that particular chef.

I was thinking about doing that. Pick-A-Food-Network-Chef. Something about it doesn't sound goofy enough. I'll have to think of a way to goofify it.

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 23 2008, 10:22 AM)
A Food Network theme.  Everyone has to pick a favorite Food Network recipe, and bring copies of the recipe for trading.

I was thinking about doing that. Pick-A-Food-Network-Chef. Something about it doesn't sound goofy enough. I'll have to think of a way to goofify it.

They have to dress as the chef? Come in character?

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Oct 23 2008, 10:08 AM)
Can I be Julia Childs?

Sure thing! Funny story... the other night I was cooking dinner and using some white wine in whatever it was I was making and there was just a sip left in the bottle so I upturned the bottle and killed it. Right then my husband walks in and says, "I see you're cooking using the Julia Child's method."

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Oct 23 2008, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 23 2008, 10:22 AM)
A Food Network theme.  Everyone has to pick a favorite Food Network recipe, and bring copies of the recipe for trading.

They have to dress as the chef? Come in character?

You know what would be awesome? Having a Tom Douglas night. (Top chef here in Seattle, has a decent number of popular cookbooks out, was on Iron Chef.)

Ooh, I wonder if I know someone who knows someone who went to school with his second cousin twice removed or something who could invite him? Now that would be cool.

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 23 2008, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Oct 23 2008, 10:08 AM)
Can I be Julia Childs?

Sure thing! Funny story... the other night I was cooking dinner and using some white wine in whatever it was I was making and there was just a sip left in the bottle so I upturned the bottle and killed it. Right then my husband walks in and says, "I see you're cooking using the Julia Child's method."

Cool! I remember her and some guy my Mom used to watch back then called "The Galloping Gourmet."

Archived