RIAB:

Maestro

Probably one of my top 5 favorite Rush albums, maybe higher than that. 1022.gif Released one month to the day before I was born!! trink39.gif

Isn't it just fantastic that there are so many different ways that we can be reminded, each and every day, how old we're getting?!?!

I still remember my pal Campbell giving me a loan of this 'great new LP' he'd just got and handing me 2112. Boy, I'm ancient!

Note for younger readers: An LP is a bit like a CD, just bigger with half the album on each side. Oh, and it needs a needle rather than a laser! They were harder to scratch though but didn't cope too well with radiators or sunny windows.

This is messed up. When I really got into the band, in 1991, Moving Pictures was considered in my mind to be that really old classic Rush album from waaaaaay back when. And it was only 10 years old.

Now CP is 15, and I can remember the timeframe around its release like it was yesterday. This was the first Rush album where I was anticipating the day it hit the shelves, we played cards at my buddy's appt. while listening to the Rockline interview which debuted all the songs, and I talked this girl who worked at the record store, who had a crush on me, to sell it to me a day early - on my birthday. Good times, GREAT album. trink39.gif

QUOTE (deamhain @ Oct 20 2008, 06:40 AM)
Isn't it just fantastic that there are so many different ways that we can be reminded, each and every day, how old we're getting?!?!

I still remember my pal Campbell giving me a loan of this 'great new LP' he'd just got and handing me 2112. Boy, I'm ancient!

Note for younger readers: An LP is a bit like a CD, just bigger with half the album on each side. Oh, and it needs a needle rather than a laser! They were harder to scratch though but didn't cope too well with radiators or sunny windows.

My vinyl collection sets me apart from the average American teenager. cool.gif

I was sick with a bad cold when I bought it. The same time I bought Counterparts I also bought the Cranberries' new tape "Everyone Else is doing it, why can't we?". And I also bought a "single" by the Cure titled "This Twilight Garden".

I had driven an hour from Rocky Mount to Raleigh for a visit on my off day from work.

I didn't care for Counterparts (probably the first time I bought a Rush album and was truly disappointed.)

I actually ended up listening to the Cranberrie's new album much more. I think this was the time when my interest in Rush was really beginning to dwindle.

I've warmed up to Counterparts some over the years, but it still is one of my least favorite Rush records.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 20 2008, 09:55 PM)
CP is not my favourite album (thought it's a great album), but during the time when it came out, it was one of the best times of my life.

Nothing but great memories for the Fall of 1993.

Same. I was in uni at the time, living alone away from home, and having a grand time. Seems like a long long time ago.

I also thought it was a vast improvement over Bones which I still don't care for all that much.

I think it debuted at #2 or #3 at the time.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 20 2008, 07:55 AM)
CP is not my favourite album (thought it's a great album), but during the time when it came out, it was one of the best times of my life.

Fall of 93 rocked for me too. Being a Senior in college with most of my hard classes done. Got to take some slack electives along with being 21 and hitting the bar/live music scene.

If I recall, CP came out the same day as one of the Pearl Jam albums. The record store opened up at midnight. The radio station was interviewing people in line and I realized I was the only one there to pick up the Rush album instead.

I was dating a really hot girl back then who was into Rush, owned a mint '69 Cutlass and rode a Harley......

Like.......how could I have let that one get away?

wacko.gif

confused13.gif

I was wavering about a possible engagement at the time, to the guy I had been dating for 4 years. We both loved Rush, which was awesome, and he bought me the CD. It took a little while for me to warm up to it, but despite a few cheeselike lyrics here and there, I love it.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 20 2008, 03:26 PM)
I was dating a really hot girl back then who was into Rush, owned a mint '69 Cutlass and rode a Harley......

wacko.gif

confused13.gif

beathorse.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 20 2008, 11:26 PM)

wacko.gif

confused13.gif

John McEnroe was quoting someone else when he said, "The older I become, the greater I used to be." This line could be used in regards to that girl...ie. she must not have been that great if you let her get away trink39.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 20 2008, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 20 2008, 11:26 PM)

wacko.gif

confused13.gif

John McEnroe was quoting someone else when he said, "The older I become, the greater I used to be." This line could be used in regards to that girl...ie. she must not have been that great if you let her get away trink39.gif

No....I was just an idiot.

QUOTE (darth by tor @ Oct 20 2008, 11:46 AM)
Ha!

I still recall putting the cd on for the first time on the day of release "Stick it Out" blared out and I thought Tony Iommi had a guest spot! 1022.gif 1022.gif

Iommi has missing fingertips. He's not lame biggrin.gif

"...and though we know that time has wings, we're the ones who have to fly.'

I was at my second year of Ryerson, and back at the Residence. Party Party Party, girls, partying and more partying.

I headed over to Sam's to buy that album, and The Jays were on their way to winning their second World Series. I was drunk almost every weekend, and I met T... 7 years later we were married!

The grunge and techno scene was big then. A new Rush album was such a refreshment from all that.

Meatloaf made his "big" comeback, and Aerosmith had Livin' on the Edge!

I had just become a first time home owner when CP came out. My sister tells me that our sister-in-law bought me a copy of CP for Christmas. She failed to grasp the scope of my Rush fandom, and didn't realize that I already bought it the day it came out! laugh.gif It's hard to believe that was 15 years ago.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Oct 20 2008, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 20 2008, 07:55 AM)

Fall of 93 rocked for me too. Being a Senior in college with most of my hard classes done. Got to take some slack electives along with being 21 and hitting the bar/live music scene.

If I recall, CP came out the same day as one of the Pearl Jam albums. The record store opened up at midnight. The radio station was interviewing people in line and I realized I was the only one there to pick up the Rush album instead.

Yeah, you're right. I remember working my first job and listening to the radio for most of the day. They played that stupid Pearl Jam song like 10,000 times but every now and then they'd also play Stick it Out.

At the time I was just really getting into Rush big time and was more into their keyboard stuff (specifically ASOH) and we'd joke that the song was from "Alice N' Rush" because it sounded all grungy.

Also Neil's "1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2.." beginning always impressed us, like Neil can't ever just count anything as a straight 1, 2, 3, 4 and then play. (I know it's still in the same time as 1-4 but it made us laugh anyhow).

Archived