Bear Grylls Vs. Les Stroud

Jack Aubrey

Who is better?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Bear Grylls
    • Les Stroud

I saw a couple of people saying they didn't like Bear Grylls over in RS so I thought I'd start a poll.

Personally I prefer Bear Grylls. Yes, I know Les worked with Rush, but I think Bear's show is better. Les just has a tendency to get a little whiny.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Les is kind of a hometown hero up here in these parts. I believe he and his wife spent some time in the NWT back in the 90s.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Sep 23 2008, 10:03 AM)
One thing I will say for Bear is that he will eat some gross shit. 

No shit!! laugh.gif Always a delight to see what new tasties hes gonna down tongue.gif Totally hooked on Bear, regardless of some of the neg commentries on his earlier episodes. Cant say Ive seen much of the other guy here, so I cant really vote. Anyways, up to the Panama experience at the mo. Essential viewing yes.gif

We had a thread about this about a year ago. I definitely prefer Les. I respect Bear's experience. Les is alone. He sets up all his own camera equipment which means he walks ahead 100 meteres, sets a camera, walks back, then walks toward the camera just to get these shots. Bear has a crew with him which definitely changes the experience. Les is in much more danger than Bear because of this. A lot of the stuff Bear seems to just know he actually learns from locals right before they film.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 22 2008, 08:23 PM)
We had a thread about this about a year ago.  I definitely prefer Les.  I respect Bear's experience.  Les is alone.  He sets up all his own camera equipment which means he walks ahead 100 meteres, sets a camera, walks back, then walks toward the camera just to get these shots.  Bear has a crew with him which definitely changes the experience.  Les is in much more danger than Bear because of this.  A lot of the stuff Bear seems to just know he actually learns from locals right before they film.

A lot of the stuff Bear seems to just know he actually learns from locals right before they film.

The same is true of Les. If you watch the 'Survivorman-Behind the Scenes' special you'll see that for yourself.

BTW, I know we've discussed this before, I pretty much did this for the heck of it and I admit to shamelessly seizing on a topic I saw in another forum to increase traffic in this one! laugh.gif

I think my own personal reason for preferring Bear over Les is because Bear just seems more personable. Les comes off as a bit dour and moody. Also, I don't mean to take away from Les' accomplishments, but Bear's are more impressive. He was British SAS, where he survived a helicopter crash and recovered from severe spinal damage and went on to be, until a couple of years ago, the youngest man to have climbed Mt. Everest. Then he crossed the Arctic Ocean in an open boat and went through the French Foreign Legion's boot camp, which is widely recognized as the toughest in the world. Bear also holds the paramotoring altitude record. While I respect Les Stroud, I have more respect for Bear Grylls.

Edit: I also enjoyed Bear's book Man Vs. Wild: Survival Techniques From The Most Dangerous Places On Earth. It's one of the best survival manuals I've ever read.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 23 2008, 11:35 AM)
Bear Grylls is a pussy.
I don't know Les Stroud. I understand he's Canadian - meeow.

Ray Mears Rules them both smile.gif

Yes, Mears is very cool. I still need to read Bushcraft. But aren't you being a bit harsh towards Grylls and Stroud?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 23 2008, 11:52 AM)
Bear Grylls is a pussy.

Yes, Mears is very cool. I still need to read Bushcraft. But aren't you being a bit harsh towards Grylls and Stroud?

The next time he thinks before he types will be the first.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Sep 23 2008, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 23 2008, 11:52 AM)
Bear Grylls is a pussy.

The next time he thinks before he types will be the first.

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 22 2008, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Sep 23 2008, 10:03 AM)
One thing I will say for Bear is that he will eat some gross shit. 

No shit!! laugh.gif Always a delight to see what new tasties hes gonna down tongue.gif Totally hooked on Bear, regardless of some of the neg commentries on his earlier episodes. Cant say Ive seen much of the other guy here, so I cant really vote. Anyways, up to the Panama experience at the mo. Essential viewing yes.gif

I once saw him sqeeze and drink liquid from the guts out of a recently dead cows stomach. He eats and drinks all kinds of shit. laugh.gif

I think it is more action with the Bear Grylls show. I like to watch both, but I am going to vote for BG.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 23 2008, 08:32 AM)
We had a thread about this about a year ago.  I definitely prefer Les.  I respect Bear's experience.  Les is alone.  He sets up all his own camera equipment which means he walks ahead 100 meteres, sets a camera, walks back, then walks toward the camera just to get these shots.  Bear has a crew with him which definitely changes the experience.  Les is in much more danger than Bear because of this.  A lot of the stuff Bear seems to just know he actually learns from locals right before they film.

A lot of the stuff Bear seems to just know he actually learns from locals right before they film.

The same is true of Les. If you watch the 'Survivorman-Behind the Scenes' special you'll see that for yourself.

BTW, I know we've discussed this before, I pretty much did this for the heck of it and I admit to shamelessly seizing on a topic I saw in another forum to increase traffic in this one! laugh.gif

I think my own personal reason for preferring Bear over Les is because Bear just seems more personable. Les comes off as a bit dour and moody. Also, I don't mean to take away from Les' accomplishments, but Bear's are more impressive. He was British SAS, where he survived a helicopter crash and recovered from severe spinal damage and went on to be, until a couple of years ago, the youngest man to have climbed Mt. Everest. Then he crossed the Arctic Ocean in an open boat and went through the French Foreign Legion's boot camp, which is widely recognized as the toughest in the world. Bear also holds the paramotoring altitude record. While I respect Les Stroud, I have more respect for Bear Grylls.

Edit: I also enjoyed Bear's book Man Vs. Wild: Survival Techniques From The Most Dangerous Places On Earth. It's one of the best survival manuals I've ever read.

Try not eating for 5 days and see how moody you get! laugh.gif

Survivorman is my favorite show on Discovery Channel. Bear gets on my nerves because he is so over the top. His show is so contrived. I'd much rather watch Les. Plus, I love Les' dry sense of humor, and respect that he goes it alone.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 23 2008, 10:28 AM)

Survivorman is my favorite show on Discovery Channel. Bear gets on my nerves because he is so over the top. His show is so contrived. I'd much rather watch Les. Plus, I love Les' dry sense of humor, and respect that he goes it alone.

Bear belongs on Fear Factor and nothing else. tongue.gif

Here is an example of why I prefer Les. Bear, instead of walking around the water in a very cold climate, took his clothes off and jumped in near freezing water and swam to the other side. He reasoned that he could "see material to start a fire with on the other side." This is a terrible idea that you would never do in reality.

I do respect Bear's accomplishments and he is more personable. The Legion series was awesome. He went through it with former Legion officers and enlisted as instructors with random dudes that signed on to train. He ended up basicaly being an extra trainer and was obviously up to the challenge. Pure survival and military training are generally different with different goals.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 23 2008, 04:21 PM)
Here is an example of why I prefer Les.  Bear, instead of walking around the water in a very cold climate, took his clothes off and jumped in near freezing water and swam to the other side.  He reasoned that he could "see material to start a fire with on the other side."  This is a terrible idea that you would never do in reality.

I do respect Bear's accomplishments and he is more personable.  The Legion series was awesome.  He went through it with former Legion officers and enlisted as instructors with random dudes that signed on to train.  He ended up basicaly being an extra trainer and was obviously up to the challenge.  Pure survival and military training are generally different with different goals.

Damn! I didn't think of it that way! Ok, ok, I concede the point...grudgingly. (Just kidding laugh.gif ).

Edit: if I were desperate enough to find firewood I would at least consider swimming across a cold river, but the area I was in would have to be absolutely barren for a good 10 square miles and there was no way to get around the water or shallow places to ford it.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (hunter @ Sep 23 2008, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 23 2008, 10:28 AM)

Bear belongs on Fear Factor and nothing else. tongue.gif

laugh.gif