the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (Steevo @ Sep 4 2010, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Sep 4 2010, 07:15 PM)
If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Alllll

Ha. I've just been going through a Paul Simon phase as well.

Great album, I really like the pop/mbaqanga mix.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 8 2010, 08:06 PM)
They say that Easy Off makes oven cleaning easier, but how can we be sure...We're supposed to just place stock in that proclamation with what exactly backing it all up? You got studies handy? How is it easier?

It does make oven cleaning easier. I've used it. It softens up all the burned-on shit in yer oven so you can just wipe it right out. It's all kinds of awesome, actually. So, I'll back up their claim.

BTW.... this thread is for random MUSIC thoughts, not random thoughts in general, ya' goofball. laugh.gif

If we started a Random Thoughts In General thread, it'd be pretty scary. We probably shouldn't go there. no.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 9 2010, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 8 2010, 08:06 PM)
They say that Easy Off makes oven cleaning easier, but how can we be sure...We're supposed to just place stock in that proclamation with what exactly backing it all up?  You got studies handy?  How is it easier?

It does make oven cleaning easier. I've used it. It softens up all the burned-on shit in yer oven so you can just wipe it right out. It's all kinds of awesome, actually. So, I'll back up their claim.

BTW.... this thread is for random MUSIC thoughts, not random thoughts in general, ya' goofball. laugh.gif

If we started a Random Thoughts In General thread, it'd be pretty scary. We probably shouldn't go there. no.gif

Oh, I thought that this was perhaps an 'umbrella' term which could s-t-r-e-t-c-h wide enough to encompass those thoughts entertained while under the influence of 'musics'...Many times it's these various, dirty musics which will inspire some frantically-crazed thoughts of cleanliness in me...

Here's a nice, clean thought...I can't decide which Late 70's School of Brit Proggers were responsible for delivering the last great batch of Prog-Fusion material.

We all know (some of us better than others) the wealth of NEW Progressive Rock ideas that were generated by the British during the first half of the 70's...There's SO MUCH of it that I'm still in the slow process of overturning hidden gems and looking around bends and into nooks and crannies for last remaining treats from those first five or six years.

But, new ideas, and new bands sportin' any new ideas were slim, slim pickings during those last few, lean years of the decade, as everything began to go the way of the Punks or the New Wave scene. Yet, a small dedicated clan of REAL dedicated musicians held to the straight and narrow path of exemplary musicianship and semi-epic songwriting structures...

There were TWO Prime Camps of musicians responsible for delivering the majority of tuneage from that final wave of musical sophistication before the turn of the decade...and I can't decide which camp gave us the better material...Maybe I never have to decide...Maybe there's room enough in this world for both of 'em to be unknown by everyone 'cept me, and like maybe ten other people. lol.

Yet, for self-satisfying purposes, I'm hoping that those ten others can help me decide which gang of British Musos delivered the better output...And, perhaps, if ya'll happen to be unfamilar with any title or titles from either Column A or B, then maybe it's time for ya to consider obtaining some o' these unbelievable treasures from Prog Rock and Prog-Fusion's last original era...

Group A

UK - Self-titled 1978

UK - Danger Money 1979

Bill Bruford - Feels Good To Me 1978

Bill Brufford - One of a Kind 1979

John Wetton - Caught in the Crossfire

Group B

Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour

Brand X - Moroccan Roll

Brand X - Masques

Brand X - Product

Brand X - Do They Hurt?

I would have made a POLL out of this topic...but, I sincerely doubt that more than just a few TRF members here would know all, or even a majority of the titles in question...I would settle for knowledge of even two recordings from each group...I'd like to speak with those shpashific peoples.

There is a great history and entertaining story behind all the various Prog Rock and Fusion players involved in these two blocks of recordings above...There's reasons why those four, specific titles were choosen to occupy Group 'A'...And if yer semi-interested, then maybe you can check into the two WIKI links here at the bottom...

If you're already semi-familar and satisfied with what you've unearthed of the Brits' Prog-Rock playbook from the first half of the 70's, there's a good chance that you'll enjoy what you find here...They're nowhere near the same wavelength or general direction, but some elements are ertainly safely retained from the earlier schools of thought...

This is the last Progish/Jazzy stuff available for consumption before cats like Wetton would go on to form ASIA with other former-Prog Rock players, while Collins would say goodbye to Brand X for the lure of a popular solo career and the success of 80's Genesis. This following stuff is best served at room temperature on an empty stomach...Gooble, gooble...WHICH GROUP of LPs do you think fills ya up faster and tastes better overall?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_(band)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_X

Yo, locator, do you have single edits of your posts? I don't have the attention span to read a 17-paragraph post.

wink.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Sep 9 2010, 06:43 PM)
Yo, locator, do you have single edits of your posts? I don't have the attention span to read a 17-paragraph post.

wink.gif

Yeah, just take the first para and marry it to the final para and hopefully you get the gist of the whole darn thing. Get the Cliff Notes at yer local book dealer.

You should be onto things like UK, Flash, BX by now...afta ya've already mastered the world of rush and yes and the like...You should be ready for some of that kinda shmack now.

After the tragic events of September 11, a young artist decided that he needed to do something more meaningful with his life. This artist's name was Gerard Way, who started My Chemical Romance that day and also wrote "Skylines and Turnstiles", about the events he saw that day. Thanks, Gerard, for creating something inspiring in the midst of all of the tragedy that day.

The instrumental section in Mission by Rush is pants-crappingly fantastiriffic Edited by Ted Barchetta

People should flip back one page and check out my Group A v. Group B. thing...Geddy Lee would...Has...I'll explain.

I'm listening to Bruford's Feels Good to Me right now...and it does...It feels really truly good...and I needed that today especiall... Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth had both bounced abruptly from the band, 'UK' right at the top of their game to form this uber-tight squadron of fusion-filled fighter folk...There was a divergence point, a fork in the road, and both parties went on to artistic riches...a veritable 'win-win' for all those involved...The last UK title was a masterpiece, even without guitar.

Beelzebub, Sample and Hold, the title track and a few others here are indispensable Jazz-Rock fare. Absolutely necessary. This is THE PRECISE ALBUM THAT GEDDY LEE MENTIONS in that outdoor '80 interview that is featured on Disc Two OF the 'R30' set...The interviewer ask Geds who he's been listening to as of late, and Glee answer with one name only - - Bill Bruford...The interviewer is apparently not a music guy, and Ged needs to explain who exactly Bruford is.

The albums that Glee had been listening to at this specific moment were both 'Feels Good To Me' and 'One of a Kind'...1978 & 1979...The interviewer asks if there's anything else he'd care to mention about what he's been listening to, and Ged says that this is basically it...He was apparently feeding himself a Bruford-heavy diet at the time...leading himself right into the Permanent Waves sessions...while Neil was pigging out new wave bands like The Police...Does anyone know what Alex was gorging himself on at the time? That's the $24,000 question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feels_Good_to_Me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_of_a_Kind

No one has any thoughts on the GEDDY/BRUFORD connection? Nah?

I have a RUSH-related question that is pretty 'random' now since it's two years past it relevance date.

I'm sure it's been discussed to tears, but I wasn't here for all that, so please appease my request to discuss...Humor me, please.

The RUSH - Retrospective 3 (1989-2008) Collection...I'm looking at the lineup on Amazon and I notice that each song is followed by the disclaimer that this song is the 'Retrospective 3 Version'.

What exactly does that mean? I'm certainly aware that the production on 'Vapor Trails' was ultra-crappy, while the production on 'Presto' was ultra-sterile'...I'm also well aware that pretty much none of the material on an album like 'Roll The Bones' meshes up too well with the tunes found on S & A...

This MUST BE the most INCONGROUS assemblage of 'Greatest Hits' material ever artificially forced into the same space...

I'm a pretty logical dude, so I'm assuming that what is meant with the preface, 'Retrospective 3 Version' is that what we have here are songs that have undergone some type of 'remixing' process' which attempts to bring all these very dissimilar, perhaps confliciting songs more in line with one another.

Am I correct with that assessment? Was there some type of technical 'evening out' process applied here? And, how successful was it in achievening the desired goal of making these songs sound like they could all be in the same room without clocking each other in the face?

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 15 2010, 11:30 AM)
If I were a rich man, and felt like being a 'Music evangelist', I'd buy up every CD copy of "Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall" and mass-mail them to every address in the United States.

Think of it as a soulful P.S.A. Yes, it's THAT amazing of an album.

Slippy, yer a pretty technically adept fella...How about attempting to answer the question two slots up.

No one seems to be able to address these type of sitcheeashuns.

And, even if ya don't actually possess the 'Retrospective' in question, does this seem like a likely reason for the 'Retrospective 3' disclaimer?

I have the 'Retrospective 2' collection, and all those 80's songs all mesh up very well without any further tinkering whatsoever...

The directional shifts between albums were small back then (but mounting)...and a collection of Rush tunes from 1981-1987 sounded great together without any later re-mixing or technical adjusting.

But, just looking at the array of albums between Presto and S & A and I see many potential problems arising from the incongruity between musical directions and production values...Do you think my assessment up top is likely to be accurate...that is, without even hearing the collection in question?

I'd really like for someone who has heard the 'Retrospective 3' collection to answer this question. But, in lieu of that, your professional opinion will suffice.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 11 2010, 10:40 PM)
Unsatisfied by The Replacements has one of the most intense vocal parts ever; paul westerberg's voice literally bleeds sheer, raw emotion and desperation.

Yes. Dear God, yes.

Let It Be is essential listening. F*ck it, every Replacements albums is essential listening.

Locator - I bought that Retro 3 a few months back.

The whole collection has been remastered, but only the Vapor Trails tracks (Earthshine and One Little Victory) were remixed.

In general the sound on thse is more compressed than the original releases, except for the VT and S&A tracks (the S&A tracks sound the same while the VT tracks sound better).

The Presto and RTB tracks sound a little meatier, but again, they're more compressed, so they have less dynamic range.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 15 2010, 05:17 PM)
Locator - I bought that Retro 3 a few months back.

The whole collection has been remastered, but only the Vapor Trails tracks (Earthshine and One Little Victory) were remixed.

In general the sound on thse is more compressed than the original releases, except for the VT and S&A tracks (the S&A tracks sound the same while the VT tracks sound better).

The Presto and RTB tracks sound a little meatier, but again, they're more compressed, so they have less dynamic range.

You think that the remixing of the 'VT'material is the only significant difference here? And that was enough to bring all the songs in line with one another and make the entire thing sound pretty good is what yer basically saying...

But, at the same time you imply that the collection as a whole sounds even more compressed...So, is that something that they do afterwards, after all the tracks are assembled, to give the collection a more a more uniform, cohesive feel with the running order? Because, just by the language choosen here, the whole 'Retrospective 3 versions' thing, that's the impression I get...

I def. wanted the remixed 'VT' tracks, but this collection doesn't really entice otherwise...I looked at that song selection and said, "sheesh, that some motely crew assemblage of material." The only thing with more incongruity that I could ever possibly imagine would be a greatest hits collection made for the various KISS eras between 1977 and 1983...They did some hop-skip-jumpin' back then...and I have actually put one together myself for all that material.

I have a few other pertinent things to ask of you...random things, randomly asked, randomly considered, and randomly replied to...Do you have either of the 'Bruford' band titles from either 77/78 and what do you think of them, if you do got 'em?...I only recently understood the history of why that particular lineup got into the studio under that given name, and how it all relates to the band UK...

Speaking of which...Did you ever get that second UK title, or any of them Brand X albums?...I literally have NO MORE Record/CD stores in my area at all, let alone those specializing in PROG and Fusion...I had a Tower in my area that had 'an entire room' dedicated to Jazz...It was a goldmine...I considered masturbating right there in the aisle between Coleman and Corea...They had everything.

I used to always walk out of there with more purchases than ever intended...Then, one day, I should have known something was up because they had a big sale, and I saw my first two-for-one deal there...That should have been the clue...Then, I didn't think of the place for like a couple of months...Next thing I hear is that they've already had a total clearance sale where everything went for virtually nothing, and they've closed their doors for good...

I missed it, bro...I woulda picked up that entire, bountiful Rudy Van Gelder Remaster Series...the whole thing at dirt cheap...Someone scored big...Then, shortly after, the Virgin Megastore went, along with Sam No Goody...Now it's just a few Mom and Pops I have on L.I. and they ain't exactly right around the corner...Gnome sane, partna? You still have the BIG speciality place you always speak of, that traders place that also has LPs?

Ya know, since we're having a randome exchange.