Vapor Trails: Yea or Nay?

GeddyRulz

Vapor Trails: Yea or Nay?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Vapor Trails: Yea or Nay?

• Thumbs up
    • Thumbs down

I can't make it through Vapor Trails in one listen, but there is some kick ass music on it. It's not a masterpiece and it's not an embarrassment, it's a solid effort that would benefit from some editing and remastering. 7.5/10

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 13 2008, 10:05 AM)
I gotta say though, the love that VT gets from people seriously makes me question people's credibility in almost all other areas, and it makes me have to remember that no two people are alike and are gonna see things the same way. Still, it really kind of almost makes it hard for me to take people's opinions seriously when they express love for this album.

Seriously?

I havnt had a reason to use this yet....

beathorse.gif

but ill add my .02 cents...

I like VT...the production is a little rough, yes, but the songs are strong IMO....so that overrides the production i believe....

the versions of Secret Touch , Ghost Rider and One Little Victory on Rush In Rio just SLAY

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 13 2008, 11:12 AM)
I gotta say though, the love that VT gets from people seriously makes me question people's credibility in almost all other areas, and it makes me have to remember that no two people are alike and are gonna see things the same way.  Still, it really kind of almost makes it hard for me to take people's opinions seriously when they express love for this album.

Seriously?

That's f*cked up man.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 13 2008, 08:12 AM)
I gotta say though, the love that VT gets from people seriously makes me question people's credibility in almost all other areas, and it makes me have to remember that no two people are alike and are gonna see things the same way.  Still, it really kind of almost makes it hard for me to take people's opinions seriously when they express love for this album.

Seriously?

I should qualify that when it comes to opinions on artistic things - music, books, tv, movies, etc. It doesn't make me question anyone as people or make me love people any less, but it does make me think, hey, if they like this, I can't really value their opinion on other similar things either. Even that's not accurate. I value their opinion, but if someone said, hey, get this album, you're gonna LOVE it, and they also express love for VT, well, I'm hardly going to assume I'll love it too, because I already know we can differ so intensely.

Hey, what am I gonna do, I do the best I can in life. It's always been one of the great mysteries of life for me how different and unique each person can be. Usually I think that's a wondeful thing and makes me think we live in a wonderfully diverse and infinite universe.

At other times I just have to go - wait, you think THAT is great? Really? I mean, um, REALLY??? confused13.gif wacko.gif

I'm glad some of the hardcore fans like or love it, but to me it's just an embarassment to their discography, and I sincerely hope that new prospective fans hear that one after they already fall in love with the band.

IMHO - feel free to disagree - I know many will. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 13 2008, 08:24 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 13 2008, 08:12 AM)

Seriously?

I should qualify that when it comes to opinions on artistic things - music, books, tv, movies, etc. It doesn't make me question anyone as people or make me love people any less, but it does make me think, hey, if they like this, I can't really value their opinion on other similar things either. Even that's not accurate. I value their opinion, but if someone said, hey, get this album, you're gonna LOVE it, and they also express love for VT, well, I'm hardly going to assume I'll love it too, because I already know we can differ so intensely.

Hey, what am I gonna do, I do the best I can in life. It's always been one of the great mysteries of life for me how different and unique each person can be. Usually I think that's a wondeful thing and makes me think we live in a wonderfully diverse and infinite universe.

At other times I just have to go - wait, you think THAT is great? Really? I mean, um, REALLY??? confused13.gif wacko.gif

I'm glad some of the hardcore fans like or love it, but to me it's just an embarassment to their discography, and I sincerely hope that new prospective fans hear that one after they already fall in love with the band.

IMHO - feel free to disagree - I know many will. tongue.gif

And BTW, if anyone reads what I had to say in the above post and still thinks I'm a bad person for my views on such things, that's just the way it is. All I'm doing is being brutally honest here. I still love people intensely and think the world of people like Testy, even if he thinks I'm f*cked up in certain ways. tongue.gif

I hardly ever listen to it now.

I think there are so many better Rush albums worthy of my attention. I liked it when it came out but now feel ii is pretty derivative and underwhelming.

But the again I still love S&A so what do I know

smile.gif

4 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):

Kid_Gloves, Milton Bridge, rushgoober

bekloppt.gif Gary

I figured I would find you in here!

QUOTE (Kid_Gloves @ Aug 13 2008, 09:40 AM)
4 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):
Kid_Gloves, Milton Bridge, rushgoober

bekloppt.gif Gary

I figured I would find you in here!

Yep, getting my ass whooped by VT lovers... as usual. tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif Katie! wub.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 13 2008, 01:03 PM)
3 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):
rushgoober

laugh.gif

That's not up to Goob's standards. Not enough controversy. C'mon Goob, tell all these VT fans how their opinions on all things art and entertainment are now invalid because they like something that you hate.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 13 2008, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 13 2008, 01:03 PM)
3 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):
rushgoober

laugh.gif

That's not up to Goob's standards. Not enough controversy. C'mon Goob, tell all these VT fans how their opinions on all things art and entertainment are now invalid because they like something that you hate.

They're not invalid, it's just that I...

Oh, never mind. Trying to explain myself always backfires. Trying to explain myself MORE backfires more. eh.gif scared.gif

I'm an opinionated bastard whose a little too in love with his own opinions, what can I say? I have many other fine qualities though. wink.gif

I should have just said that VT sucks ass and left it at that. tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 13 2008, 12:13 PM)
C'mon Goob, tell all these VT fans how their opinions on all things art and entertainment are now invalid because they like something that you hate.

yes.gif

Goob:

I'm an opinionated bastard who's a little too in love with his own opinions

yes.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 13 2008, 02:43 PM)
I'm an opinionated bastard who's a little too in love with his own opinions

yes.gif

At least I admit that! Many feel as I do, they just wouldn't say it out loud. I've heard you go on and on about how VT is "art," and you seem pretty darn convicted in your point of view.

I'm always surprised that a lot of people don't feel more strongly about their opinions. Isn't that just having the courage and confidence in your convictions? I can't help it, I think my way is "the right way," but obviously I understand that it really is "the right way for me." I don't try and tell other people how to live and what they should and shouldn't like, because everyone makes their own decisions regardless. Some people might THINK I'm trying to talk other people into points of view, but that's only because I'm so intense and confident in my points of view. I never for a second thnk I'm really going to change anyone's views on anything. It's all just conversation ultimately, right?

I really cannot believe the prepnderance of Yeas over Nays.

Disregarding the production on this beast, the songs just are not up to the standard of Rush. Heck, if Dog Years. were on VT it would be the stand out track by a mile.

I really do believe that some people completely lose their critical faculties w.r.t. Rush. VT is a catastrophically bad album, it ranks alongside St Anger as the absolute worst release by a "Major" band.

I can just imagine - if the boys actually look at these fansites - Alex saying to Geddy "Hey Ged, let's just release an album of the sounds of us releasing our intestinal gas, those folk on the Rush Forum will rank it alongside AFtk, Hemispheres, PeW and MP, and for our 5 cents outlay, we'll return a mega profit"

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Of course.........it would be hard for me to give any Rush album a new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif .....except the live ones, of course. wink.gif

Archived