Best Prog Drummer

Gompers

Who gets your vote for the best Prog Rock drummer?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets your vote for the best Prog Rock drummer?

• Bill Bruford (King Crimson, Yes, UK)
    • Neil Peart (Rush)
    • Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
    • Carl Palmer (ELP)
    • Alan White (Yes)
    • Phil Collins (Genesis)
    • Danny Carey (Tool)
    • Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree)
    • Other (specify)

Let's not make this a popularity contest. We all want to vote NeilFinal.gif, and he certainly qualifies, but there are others. wink.gif Try to include with your choice the impact the drummer has or is making on drummers.

My vote goes to Neil because he is my inspiration for drumming as well as helping me get into Prog Rock. However, I see Gavin Harrison as really taking Prog drumming to another level without rehashing old ideas.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 3 2008, 08:33 AM)
Let's not make this a popularity contest. We all want to vote NeilFinal.gif, and he certainly qualifies, but there are others. wink.gif Try to include with your choice the impact the drummer has or is making on drummers.

My vote goes to Neil because he is my inspiration for drumming as well as helping me get into Prog Rock. However, I see Gavin Harrison as really taking Prog drumming to another level without rehashing old ideas.

My vote has to go to Carl Palmer because he's a better entertainer - innovative and energetic in his drumming, but also charismatic and interesting to watch. He's inspiring to the little drummer in my life (my son wink.gif)

Bill Bruford is a close second.

Neil a more distant third, because there's more to being a good drummer than just innovative and complex drumming, IMO. Neil is offputting, cold and mechanical. He's there to drive Rush, nothing more. That's the impression I get, anyway confused13.gif

All great players but just to mix things up a little I am going with

Nick D'Virgilio.

His work with Spocks Beard never fails to amaze. Not all that flashy but oh so tasty.

His resume outside of Beard speaks for itself:

Sessions

Roland Orzabal, Peter Gabriel, Tears for Fears, Genesis, Kevin Gilbert, Sheryl Crow, Brand X, Ian Prince, Manhattan Transfer, Kyle Vincent, David Baerwald, The Rubinoos, Jennifer Love Hewitt

Touring

Tears for Fears, Mike Keneally, Jonatha Brooke, Eric Burdon, Spock's Beard, Kevin Gilbert, DeBarge, The Legends of Classic Rock w/ Spencer Davis-Glenn Hughes-John Cafferty-Mike Reno-Bobby Kimbal, Fates Warning

http://www.ndvmusic.com

While I have much respect for many on that list and none for one I think that Danny Carey is the best player on that particular list.

I never saw music as a competition so while I won't say who's best I will say I particularly enjoy several drummers on the list, particularly Neil Peart and Phil Collins. I'm not a drummer and I can't seperate who I love most but its between those two.

I love Bill Bruford's drumming but as I guy I think he's an arrogant prick who needs his arse kicked big time.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jul 3 2008, 03:35 PM)
I love Bill Bruford's drumming but as I guy I think he's an arrogant prick who needs his arse kicked big time.

yes.gif But I voted for him anyway.

Gavin Harrison...

I saw him back in October of last year. Right now, he's untouchable. His mastery of time is incredible.

I voted Neil, because of the work in the 70's is my faviorate. (Just listen to A Farewell to Kings) but as far as current drumming goes I would go with Gavin Harrison, with Portnoy close behind.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 3 2008, 12:46 PM)

I met him at the NAMM show several years ago after he left Crimson and he couldn't have been nicer actually. Talked with him for about an hour just me and him. He was great to talk to. My friend Adam wrote him a letter in the 80's and he wrote a very encouraging letter back. Which I reminded him. He was really great and easy going. Don't know why someone thinks he's a prick.

Now Neil on the other hand...

Oh, and Bozzio should be on that list, as should Narada Michael Walden and Pat Mastellotto.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 3 2008, 03:46 PM)

x2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 3 2008, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 3 2008, 12:46 PM)

I met him at the NAMM show several years ago after he left Crimson and he couldn't have been nicer actually. Talked with him for about an hour just me and him. He was great to talk to. My friend Adam wrote him a letter in the 80's and he wrote a very encouraging letter back. Which I reminded him. He was really great and easy going. Don't know why someone thinks he's a prick.

I never met the man, so I guess my opinion of him is a bit presumptuous. I'm basing my opinion on interviews and articles were he comes across as arrogant and condescending.

I voted Danny Carey as well. The guy is an absolute monster. Half the time I have no idea what the hell he is doing. Very complex and his double bass drumming is unmatched.

Bill Bruford by a mile (although respect to Alan White for recreating the parts Bill had written before leaving for KC)- and he knows when not to play too.

I also really love Christian Vander of Magma, and Virgil Moorefield - epic players both.

I voted NEP. Last year I felt privileged to see 3 of the best drummer - NEP, Stewart Copeland and Iain Pace ( a one handed drum roll). I've seen Collins a few times and Alan White but NEP is the man NeilFinal.gif