Kevin Smith sees, comments on THE DARK KNIGHT

Presto-digitation

Without giving anything away, this is an epic film (and trust me: based on the sheer size and scope of the visuals and storytelling, that's not an overstatement). It's the "Godfather II" of comic book films and three times more earnest than "Batman Begins" (and f**k, was that an earnest film). Easily the most adult comic book film ever made. Heath Ledger didn't so much give a performance as he disappeared completely into the role; I know I'm not the first to suggest this, but he'll likely get at least an Oscar nod (if not the win) for Best Supporting Actor. f***ing flick's nearly three hours long and only leaves you wanting more (in a great way). I can't imagine anyone being disappointed by it. Nolan and crew have created something close to a masterpiece.

I'm not worried about the hype in a negative way. I've something else to do with my day than shudder thinking of all the ways it'll change my life. tongue.gif So I take the degree of excitement with a grain of salt.

THAT SAID I'd rather hear good early buzz than bad. I'd rather hear it's the Godfather II of comic films than the Fantastic Four 2. wink.gif

Make no mistake; "The Dark Knight" is frightening. Tension ramps up. Blood is spilled. Every body that drops has weight. Every shout is as unsettling as an explosion. As soon as the Joker begins his stage show of terror, you will expect every window and every quiet moment to explode into anarchy. This is not the Superfriends. Scooby and Daphne are no where to be found. Even if they were, they would be strung up on the pillars of Gotham City Hall, broken and still bleeding with a note posted to Scoob's intestines saying, "Good one, Shaggy." The vision of humanity the Joker presents will haunt you.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 1 2008, 02:05 PM)
Make no mistake; "The Dark Knight" is frightening. Tension ramps up. Blood is spilled. Every body that drops has weight. Every shout is as unsettling as an explosion. As soon as the Joker begins his stage show of terror, you will expect every window and every quiet moment to explode into anarchy. This is not the Superfriends. Scooby and Daphne are no where to be found. Even if they were, they would be strung up on the pillars of Gotham City Hall, broken and still bleeding with a note posted to Scoob's intestines saying, "Good one, Shaggy." The vision of humanity the Joker presents will haunt you.

Coooooooooooooooooooooooool! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 1 2008, 02:05 PM)
Make no mistake; "The Dark Knight" is frightening....Scooby and Daphne are no where to be found. Even if they were, they would be strung up on the pillars of Gotham City Hall, broken and still bleeding with a note posted to Scoob's intestines saying, "Good one, Shaggy."

Wow, that is GOLD. laugh.gif

Not being a Kevin Smith fan, his endorsement doesn't exactly have me jumping up and down, but still it's a nice one.

It takes a lot to get me to see a comic book movie these days (though there have been some really great ones - most notably X-Men 1&2, Spidey 1&2), but this one just might have enough hype for me to check it out. Of course if it gets trashed in the reviews I probably won't see it, but that doesn't look like it'll be the case...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 2 2008, 06:38 PM)
Not being a Kevin Smith fan, his endorsement doesn't exactly have me jumping up and down, but still it's a nice one.

I'm not a Kevin Smith fan, at all. I never liked his movies. Not one. But, he is very knowledgable about comic books, so, in this case, his endorsement means something. He knows that of which he speaks.

QUOTE (Mr. Mojo Risin' @ Jul 2 2008, 07:03 PM)
I'll watch it, but I'm sticking by my opinion that everyone hates:
Christian Bale is an overactor, and not that good.

*runs away*

Really? I never got that impession. Now I'm going to watch The Dark Knight thinking Christian Bale might be overacting! Thanks! laugh.gif