The Rolling Stone Article

HigherWater

Still haven't gotten this issue but look forward to reading the article.

It just dawned on me. In March Rush crash the Foo Fighters show to perform YYZ. Shortly thereafter, Rolling Stone (admirerers of the Foos) dispatches a reporter to do an article on Rush. Coincidence? Somehow, I don't think so.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 29 2008, 01:08 AM)
The only thing in the article that I take issue with:
2112 played a role analogous to L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology-launching book, Dianetics--eventually amassing the most die-hard, detail-obsessed fans in rock history.

I mean, I see what he's saying, how 2112 is the album that helped Rush go from having fans to having people like us, but...seriously? Out of all the things you could have compared us to? Scientology? Really?

Oh geez, and I see this getting warped somehow, somewhere, and suddenly all of their songs have hidden Scientology meanings and Neil's a high priest or something. eyesre4.gif

What a left-handed compliment.

This article is full of left handed compliments. Constant nerd comments. They get Geddy to run down a list of unflattering reviews of his voice. The scientology crack.

This guy had amazing access. I would have thought he'd have more interesting things to say.

Their Great Eighties Video
What is it: "Subdivisions"
Back story: Part Gossip Girl, part Koyannisqatsi, this chilly vision of architecture's emotional savagery begins with aerial shots of the Toronto grid and shifts to images of the "detached and subdivided" suburbia, where a kid in clunky glasses moves through high school and broods while watching a Rush video and finds his only joy in the 1980 arcade game Tempest.
Get it on: YouTube

eyesre4.gif They could have said "Get it on the Chronicles DVD" wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 29 2008, 11:35 AM)
This article is full of left handed compliments. Constant nerd comments. They get Geddy to run down a list of unflattering reviews of his voice. The scientology crack.

This guy had amazing access. I would have thought he'd have more interesting things to say.

Doesnt surprise me at all, from that irrelavent rag.

I just read the article. Very well-written as the OP mentions-- the author kept any negative views well-hidden (assuming he even had any). I liked the line "if rock had a Geneva Convention then Rush would be war criminals." I never read RS or any other music mag unless it's Rush related-- are their articles always this good?

I'm with the original poster about all this.

Sure, we the fans have elevated Rush to near-legendary status all by ourselves, without any help from mainstream critics like RS. Sure, Rush is our own little "cult band," a band of personal and artistic integrity, which doesn't need the validation of RS or the Hall of Fame. Sure, we've all said bitter things about RS and the RnRHoF because of persistent "Rush snubs" in the past.

But maybe RS has turned a new leaf. And maybe this will lead to a nomination in the Hall. Whether or not Rush gets more attention and credit because of this, I don't really care... I'll still love them no matter what. But if they do get more attention and credit, I think (like the band themselves) that it'd be "nice."

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 29 2008, 09:04 AM)
I just read the article. Very well-written as the OP suggest-- the author kept any negative views well-hidden (assuming he even had any). I liked the line "if rock had a Geneva Convention then Rush would be war criminals." I never read RS or any other music mag unless it's Rush related-- are their articles always this good?

Yeah they are, actually. The writers on their staff are very strong.

Things I find curious in the responses:

-- The level of venom towards RS. Can their snubbing of Rush for 30+ years be enough to make people so hateful? Are they that much worse in their taste than any other music mag?

-- Finding the comparison to Scientology a negative thing

-- The distaste of the use of the word nerd. Honestly now, you're on a Rush message board, yet you find the use of the word that difficult to believe it's so strongly connected with Rush? I was at karaoke last night and guess what? Someone sang Limelight. What do you think this guy looked like? If you had to define the word with a pic then this guy would've been a prime example.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 29 2008, 01:16 PM)

Unless you're a brainwashed Scientologist yourself, how can you not see this as a negative thing? Scientology is an evil cult.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 29 2008, 01:53 PM)

Unless you're a brainwashed Scientologist yourself, how can you not see this as a negative thing? Scientology is an evil cult.

Evil as in Satanic, I don't think so. Evil in that they do exercise a tremendous amount of control over their members, and suck large quantities of money from them, definitely. A cult? No question.

The celebrity members are treated differently, because of the draw and interest they create for the movement.

I would thank the writer of this particular article and any future treatise on Rush to refrain from any Scientology comparisons.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 29 2008, 02:53 PM)

Meh, it's just another religion to me. And they're all cultish in their most extreme forms.

Unfortunately, when I touch a Rolling Stone magazine, my hands corrode to dust, i vomit the contents of my stomach, my stomach itself, and both intestines, and my eyes grow hands with knives in them and gouge themselves out. So I will most likely not read this article.

After reading the article, the impression I got was that the author was a fan that finally convinced his boss to do a feature on Rush as long as he didn't go overboard showing his man-crush for Alex/Geddy/Neil. Nothing revelational.

If they really wanted to do a piece worthy of calling it the proverbial 'olive branch' for years of slight, they should have spent more time praising Rush for doing things their way and surviving/thriving despite industry forces that suffocate most emerging talent with contracts, music rights, recording obligations, etc.

The best that can come out of it is, perhaps a reader will be exposed to them for the first time and go check out some of their tunes and then become hooked. I don't think the article has any bearing on the HOF whatsoever.

QUOTE (ashpkt @ Jun 29 2008, 09:19 PM)
The best that can come out of it is, perhaps a reader will be exposed to them for the first time and go check out some of their tunes and then become hooked.

The Hall can go f**k itself. The part of your post that I quoted is really all that matters.

I purchased the RS issue after opening up to the opening photo drool1.gif

I honestly thought it was a good article. A little too much focus on the "nerd" aspect of the band but I liked it. Plus the interviewer got to talk to all three of them, not just Ged and Alex.

The RRHOF is kind of ridiculous

Didn't Madonnma become "inducted"

yeah, tats' some great rock and roll right there

and as for Rush fans being nerds- I may find this guy for RS , show up at his door soon and beat hos ass just for fun- Just kidding!

I would say the nerds are the people who need Rollinstone and mtv to tell them what;s cool

The Agora is in Cleveland, not Chicago.

I'm proud of the fact that my favorite band has not been inducted in to the rock and roll hall of fame. It proves to me that they are not sell outs. They've remained true to their convictions and did things their way. Being snubbed by the hall is the highest honor it can bestow, and if some day Rush does accept an induction I will lose a small amount of respect for them.

i am glad they got some press, im just sad it's in a shit rag like rolling stone. i do agree with h.w. that this will get the ball rolling for them to get in the r-n-r hall of bullshit. now we need the other 100 band's that belong in it to get in

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 30 2008, 09:31 AM)

I honestly thought it was a good article. A little too much focus on the "nerd" aspect of the band but I liked it. Plus the interviewer got to talk to all three of them, not just Ged and Alex.

Rolling Stone always has to have a social aspect to their articles. The natural spin for a Rush article is the nerd rock bend. So what. Truthfully, I wear it like a badge of honor. At 16 I had no interest in being part of the hip scene and now at 38 I'm even less interested. Does that make me a nerd? Whatever! I ain't listening to Maroon 5, that's for sure!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 30 2008, 09:31 AM)

I did (and still do) wonder how anyone got Neil to participate. Does anyone else suspect that maybe a tranquilizer gun was deployed at some point?

Archived