Geddy Lee, Chris Squire

streak85

IMO, the best in progressive rock bass with Geddy first. Both exceptional bass players and on either lead vocals or noticeable backing vocals/harmonies. Variations in their style: the syncopation of Geddy and Neil to the syncopation of Chris Squire and Bill Bruford / Alan White. Geddy slides in here with a defintive rhythmic bass line and melodic vocals while Chris Squire pounds a melodic bass line with choral type of vocals. Lee and Squire both display similarities in bass sound with the Rickenbacker.

I know Squire was a huge influence on Geddy in the early days. I remember reading an interview with Ged back in 1980 where he said he bought a Rickenbacker because of Squire's bass sound.

I would say that Squire and Jack Bruce were the pioneers of the busy, melodic bass style in rock music. Guys like Geddy owe a debt to them, but it's also cool that Geddy developed his own style and didn't continue copying them.

I would say that Squire and Jack Bruce were the pioneers of the busy, melodic bass style in rock music.

John Entwistle was certainly part of that group. He was practically a lead bassist and he's also a huge influence on Geddy.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 11 2008, 06:28 PM)
I would say that Squire and Jack Bruce were the pioneers of the busy, melodic bass style in rock music.

John Entwistle was certainly part of that group. He was practically a lead bassist and he's also a huge influence on Geddy.

Don't underestimate Paul McCartney. Macca deserves some mention. Geddy even said so! yes.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 11 2008, 05:28 PM)

Entwistle was a Monster, much more of an influence on Geddy than Chris Squire I'd say.

As an aside, I'd say Geezer Butler's a well underestimated bass player, but maybe that's not fore here smile.gif

squire kick's ass 1022.gif

Many Interesting comments and opinions here. I agree, Geddy is the main man now. As far back as 1977, I remember reading how Squire, Entwistle & Bruce were big influences on him and how he tried to emulate them. Jaco Pastorius was a big jazz influence on him as well. They were/are all great in their own way.

Geddy and Squire are my two favorite rock bassists, and a big reason for why I play bass. Fans of Squire/Yes should check out Chris's first solo album, Fish Out of Water (1975). I'm a big fan of the album and would love to see it get more recognition. Very progressive, very Yes-ish.

As for Jaco, I've never heard him mentioned by Geddy or in connection with Rush... until the recording of Snakes and Arrows, when Geddy received a Jaco Pastorius fretless Fender Jazz and played it on "Malignant Narcissism."

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 12 2008, 10:05 AM)
Geddy and Squire are my two favorite rock bassists, and a big reason for why I play bass. Fans of Squire/Yes should check out Chris's first solo album, Fish Out of Water (1975). I'm a big fan of the album and would love to see it get more recognition. Very progressive, very Yes-ish.

As for Jaco, I've never heard him mentioned by Geddy or in connection with Rush... until the recording of Snakes and Arrows, when Geddy received a Jaco Pastorius fretless Fender Jazz and played it on "Malignant Narcissism."

jaco............... trink39.gif

Though my allegiance is to YES first then Rush in a close second as far as favorite bands, Geddy is the better bassist. Not that I'm a "no picks" guy at all, I think Squire's a genius, but Geddy is faster and quite imaginative.

Squire does an irreplaceable job singing harmonies for YES and has created some of the most unique bass lines I've ever heard. Frustrated, large-handed lead guitarist, it seems.

Now, Les Claypool is sick. It's a different style of bass and it shows an enormous amount of talent and practice. I wouldn't put it in the same class as Squire/Geddy but it sure is enjoyable to hear/watch.

QUOTE (drvmusic @ Jun 12 2008, 10:47 AM)
Agreed to all, but I'd like to add in a seldom appreciated bass player to the mix. Dave Meros of Spock's Beard.

Another Ric player and you can hear a huge Squire influence in his playing.

Definitely Squire-influenced; he plays progressive Rickenbacker lines with a pick. But he seems to downplay the Squire influence; I think I read something he once wrote, where he lists Mike Rutherford as his biggest influence.

If you want still another progressive Rickenbacker bass player, there's Jon Camp from Renaissance.

QUOTE (OliasOfDelaware @ Jun 12 2008, 10:28 AM)
Now, Les Claypool is sick. It's a different style of bass and it shows an enormous amount of talent and practice. I wouldn't put it in the same class as Squire/Geddy but it sure is enjoyable to hear/watch.

Les was the reason I started playing bass in '91. Back then hearing Tommy the Cat, Mr. Knowitall, or Jerry was a Race Car Driver was totally unique and insane. I know he's not the first to tap on a bass, but damn if he can't do everything else on the thing too!

Fun fact: He used a fretless 6-string Carl Thompson to record "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" and later said he didn't even know how to play it. LOL!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 12 2008, 07:59 AM)

Definitely Squire-influenced; he plays progressive Rickenbacker lines with a pick. But he seems to downplay the Squire influence; I think I read something he once wrote, where he lists Mike Rutherford as his biggest influence.

Whoa, really?

I've often lamented the fact that Rutherford switched to guitar...

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jun 12 2008, 06:04 PM)

Definitely Squire-influenced; he plays progressive Rickenbacker lines with a pick.  But he seems to downplay the Squire influence; I think I read something he once wrote, where he lists Mike Rutherford as his biggest influence.

Whoa, really?

Mike Rutherford owns!

His bassline on ...In That Quiet Earth is one of my all time favourites to play.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 12 2008, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jun 12 2008, 06:04 PM)

Definitely Squire-influenced; he plays progressive Rickenbacker lines with a pick.  But he seems to downplay the Squire influence; I think I read something he once wrote, where he lists Mike Rutherford as his biggest influence.

Whoa, really?

Mike Rutherford owns!

His bassline on ...In That Quiet Earth is one of my all time favourites to play.

Quick, let's revive the Genesis thread! *runs over to the "Music of the Spheres" forum*

Archived