About the Indiana Jones series...

Presto-digitation

...am I alone in The Last Crusade being the best of the lot, even over the original? I just LOVED the relationship between Ford and Connery. Great film with a perfect balance of action, heart, and humor. Edited by Presto-digitation

The first one is the best.

I used to like all three pretty much equally, for different reasons. I liked the old-school adventure feel of the first one, the dark edginess of the second, and the humor and polish and Connery-factor of the third.

I saw "Temple of Doom" about a month ago, and I found I didn't like it as much as I used to. I don't think that one has aged as well as the others. But I still think it's a quality adventure. Still can't choose between the first and third...

without the first being awesome there isn;t a third.

Definitely the first.

It was like the Star Wars of adventures.

We really hadn't seen anything quite like it before.

The third does have my favorite line though:

"And this, Dr. Jones, is how we say goodbye in Germany."

"I like the Austrian way better."

WHile Raiders is clearly the original and the best pure adventure yarn, I think Crusade is this series' Empire in that it's the most character-driven and has the most heart...even if some less action. So, it's the best of all worlds IMO.

Hmmm.....

After reading through the thread I think I'm going to rent the trilogy when I get home.

Haven't watched any of these for some time now.

I just watched "Last Crusade" on TV this morning; it might be my favorite of the three... I can't decide. I think I like the quest for the Grail more than the quest for the Ark of the Covenant... but both had a great villan in the Nazis.

One thing's for sure: the second film ("Temple of Doom") was the worst of the lot. It seems we all agree on that. No Christian artifact, no Nazis, no riddles.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 11 2008, 01:21 PM)
One thing's for sure: the second film ("Temple of Doom") was the worst of the lot. It seems we all agree on that. No Christian artifact, no Nazis, no riddles.

Yes. But that doesn't mean it's a bad movie!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 11 2008, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 11 2008, 01:21 PM)
One thing's for sure: the second film ("Temple of Doom") was the worst of the lot.  It seems we all agree on that.  No Christian artifact, no Nazis, no riddles.

Yes. But that doesn't mean it's a bad movie!

True.

At the very least all the Indy films are *fun* and Doom succeeds here too. I just think it's the most corny, silly (too over the top, even by Indy's often extravagant standard)...and still darkest (lol) of the lot.

I think, like many, I just enjoyed the premise with Temple less than the other two. For one, I never bought this tribe/cult as anything really threatening. Seemed like a bunch of actors playing roles...unlike, say, the natives of Skull Island in Peter Jackson's King Kong. Those were some intimidating folks that read as perilous to our heroes. But Doom has its moments just the same.

This new film will too, regardless of what we think of the casting or the quest this time around or whatever. They're intended to be fun over substantive. Raiders is great because it's a rousing adventure...not because it's high-brow drama. It's fun.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 11 2008, 02:36 PM)
At the very least all the Indy films are *fun*... they're intended to be fun over substantive. Raiders is great because it's a rousing adventure...not because it's high-brow drama. It's fun.

yes.gif

These are just rousing adventures in the tradition of the "old school" of adventure film-making. They succeed purely on a fun-and-exciting level... but can be interesting, too, in the mysterious riddles which must be solved in order to locate the artifact. (This was particularly true with the first and third films, but not so much the second.)

Temple of Doom was on BBC1 last night .. Last Crusade will be on next Sunday.

I thoroughly -enjoyed- Temple of Doom. I think even more so than Raiders.

Go on, shoot me tongue.gif. I don't mind a bit of darkness though! laugh.gif

I now have my tickets booked at the cinema for Indy 4... Woohoo smile.gif.

QUOTE (pt2112 @ May 11 2008, 12:57 AM)
It goes first, third, second for me.

Same here. I actually watched the Last Crusade yesterday afternoon. It's definitely better than the second, but nothing comes close to touching the original.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 12 2008, 07:32 AM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ May 11 2008, 12:57 AM)
It goes first, third, second for me.

Same here. I actually watched the Last Crusade yesterday afternoon. It's definitely better than the second, but nothing comes close to touching the original.

yes.gif Agreed. I really like the third one but I don't know how they could ever beat 'Raiders'.

It is a tie for me: 1st and 3rd. Temple of Doom being my least favorite. Too many kids in that movie.

I really love the part in part 3 where Hitler signs the journal, not knowing that it was Indiana Jones.

Another "tie" between Raiders and Last Crusade.

"Dad!"

"What?"

"Dad!!"

"What?!?" rofl3.gif

Scifi channel is running the trilogy Saturday 653.gif

Temple of Doom is still fun though... the gross-out dinner at the palace, the "you'll be back in 5 minutes" standoff, and this line from Short Round:

"He's not nuts. He's CRAZY"

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

I agree with you on this!

I think the Last Crusade was just generally better when it came to action and laughs. I am a huge fan of Mr. Connery (not much as Bond, but that's another thread), but in his non-Bond roles I find him to be very easy to watch and he's just overall fantastic.

I think my favourite part of the movie is when Indiana has just found out that both he and his dad slept with the same woman...Connery has an expression like "ya...AND???" and Ford's expression is like "Dad...how could you?" Just the little things like that made this my favourite of the 3.

Raiders is EXCELLENT, but it really just missed something that The Last Crusade had...fire or spark or something. Can't really explain it. However, they were both excellent movies! I could have lived without seeing the Temple of doom. wink.gif