That Falling Feeling.

Sticklah

This hasn't happened in at least a year or two but I can remember sometimes I would wake up and feel like I'm falling and them like half a second later I would stop and be all freaked out and in a cold sweat. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Or if its a medical name for it or anything?

QUOTE (Sticklah @ May 6 2008, 07:52 PM)
This hasn't happened in at least a year or two but I can remember sometimes I would wake up and feel like I'm falling and them like half a second later I would stop and be all freaked out and in a cold sweat. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Or if its a medical name for it or anything?

I think the technical term is "dream". wink.gif

It happens to everyone once and a while. Sometimes people have it more often than others. Most of the time this happens if some event happened that day that you aren't so sure about or you feel insecure in some way.

I get them a lot now. Usually I see myself coming off the motorcycle again. It's flipping, and I am falling, and I wake up with a huge startle, and I am sweating and shaking.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 6 2008, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE (Sticklah @ May 6 2008, 07:52 PM)

I think the technical term is "dream". wink.gif

Subcategory: Nightmare

I haven't heard of a medical name for it... a bad dream.

Once my friend had a dream she was falling and she moved like up and plunked down on the bed and I was like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" and I woke her up and she told me that was her dream...

I've felt that too and I'll wake myself up when I 'bounce up.' I don't know it always feels like I'm in one of those balloon bouncy-things...

I think we're talking about two distinct things here, but they're related.

There's actually a physiological basis for that falling sensation that is rooted in our evolutionary past. Early primates slept in trees and there was a part of the brain always just awake enough to make sure they kept holding on so as to not fall off the branch. And while we no longer sleep in trees (or at least not very often biggrin.gif), evolution has seen fit to simply build on the early brain structures - very little has ever been lost (think "appendix") so occasionally we have to subconsciously make sure we're still holding on! And it's dreadfully scary when we realize we AREN'T, but haven't yet realized we're LAYING DOWN... laugh.gif

I don't recall the exact academic reference so I can't quote it precisely, but you get the drift.

Kismet

(taking off the anthropologist hat now wink.gif)

I used to get it a lot. It always happened as I was drifting off. I'd be slipping gently into sleep, suddenly feel I was falling and jerk awake. Very annoying.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 7 2008, 03:29 PM)
I used to get it a lot. It always happened as I was drifting off. I'd be slipping gently into sleep, suddenly feel I was falling and jerk awake. Very annoying.

This is exactly the same thing that happens to me from time to time and YES it is very annoying.

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ May 6 2008, 07:22 PM)

There's actually a physiological basis for that falling sensation that is rooted in our evolutionary past. Early primates slept in trees and there was a part of the brain always just awake enough to make sure they kept holding on so as to not fall off the branch. And while we no longer sleep in trees (or at least not very often biggrin.gif), evolution has seen fit to simply build on the early brain structures - very little has ever been lost (think "appendix") so occasionally we have to subconsciously make sure we're still holding on! And it's dreadfully scary when we realize we AREN'T, but haven't yet realized we're LAYING DOWN... laugh.gif

I don't recall the exact academic reference so I can't quote it precisely, but you get the drift.

Kismet

Awesome!

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ May 6 2008, 07:22 PM)

Kismet

I was gonna say something about evolution from monkeys. angry.gif

Haha, nice hat. laugh.gif

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ May 6 2008, 11:22 PM)

Kismet

That is from Carl Jung's psychology. I want to say "archetypes" but not sure.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 7 2008, 10:54 PM)
QUOTE (OriginalFan @ May 6 2008, 11:22 PM)

There's actually a physiological basis for that falling sensation that is rooted in our evolutionary past.  Early primates slept in trees and there was a part of the brain always just awake enough to make sure they kept holding on so as to not fall off the branch.  And while we no longer sleep in trees (or at least not very often biggrin.gif), evolution has seen fit to simply build on the early brain structures - very little has ever been lost (think "appendix") so occasionally we have to subconsciously make sure we're still holding on!  And it's dreadfully scary when we realize we AREN'T, but haven't yet realized we're LAYING DOWN... laugh.gif

Kismet

That is from Carl Jung's psychology. I want to say "archetypes" but not sure.

Wouldn't this mean it would also relate to falling out of bed and we "should" wake just before falling out unsure.gif

Yet some still fall out of bed. confused13.gif

My understanding is that it's some kind of psychic/spiritual phenomena that involves literally (or even metaphorically) "falling" back into your body from another/other levels of consciousness.

Of course, this presupposes a belief that we're multi-dimensional beings. The more pragmatic among us surely won't accept such an explanataion, however, and will necessarily have to interpret that kind of experience in more prosaic terms.

You might actually want to have youself evaluated for Sleep Apnea, or breathing disorders while asleep. One typical condition or side effect associated with a certain type of apnea involves a 'startle' sensation that wakes one out of light or deep sleep as the body's means of getting oxygen - a sensation that has been likened to a jerking or sudden body shake that may be quite similar to feeling as though one has been falling, and when finding oneself awake, a deep gasp of breath can occur, along with increased heartrate, sweating, etc.

A lot of books on the subject suggest sleeping on your side or reclined to alleviate pressure on the airways. Does it happen when you side sleep?

Happens to me several times a week. It's like when you get to the bottom of the stairs and you find there's another step. It doesn't seem to be linked to stress, and I have no trouble sleeping - in fact I'm very good at sleeping, even on aeroplanes.

Anyone else had the sleep paralysis experience where you think you are awake and there's something heavy on your chest? Very scary.

QUOTE (edie @ May 10 2008, 03:25 PM)
Happens to me several times a week. It's like when you get to the bottom of the stairs and you find there's another step. It doesn't seem to be linked to stress, and I have no trouble sleeping - in fact I'm very good at sleeping, even on aeroplanes.

Anyone else had the sleep paralysis experience where you think you are awake and there's something heavy on your chest? Very scary.

I've had sleep paralysis and "hallucinated" at the same time. Not good. Yes, very scary smile.gif.

Archived