Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

I picked up In Absentia from Itunes last weekend, I really like it,,,,,

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

I love Blackest Eyes, and Prodigal

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Jan 7 2011, 07:38 PM)
I picked up In Absentia from Itunes last weekend,  I really like it,,,,,

I love Blackest Eyes,  and Prodigal

From IA I would take out Blackest Eyes, Trains, Sound of Muzak and Collapse the Light as my faves. The remainder are only so-so. I much prefer Deadwing as a solid album and would go to that next in order of release. Give both albums a few listens before judgement though. Essential with PT yes.gif

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Jan 7 2011, 01:38 AM)
I picked up In Absentia from Itunes last weekend, I really like it,,,,,

I love Blackest Eyes, and Prodigal

If you like the harder side of that album, I'd suggest getting Deadwing next followed by Fear of a Blank Planet. If you're into the more melodic side then Stupid Dream should be high on the list of early purchases followed by Lightbulb Sun...then you can get into some really psychedelic stuff with Up the Downstair or Signify.

Save The Sky Moves Sideways for later; it's great but not for the casual fan.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jan 7 2011, 08:39 AM)

If you like the harder side of that album, I'd suggest getting Deadwing next followed by Fear of a Blank Planet. If you're into the more melodic side then Stupid Dream should be high on the list of early purchases followed by Lightbulb Sun...then you can get into some really psychedelic stuff with Up the Downstair or Signify.

I do not have a lot of use for the vast majority of 'Old Tree'... I don't think they really started to hit their stride until Signify in 1996.

If you wish to delve into 'Old Tree' eventually, just pick up the double CD 'Stars Die - The Delerium Years' and you will get any of the old stuff you'd need...

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 6 2011, 09:49 PM)
According to SW's facebook...

3rd Blackfield Album - March
2nd SW Solo Album - September
Album With Mikael Akerfeldt- "After That" (September - December)

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jan 7 2011, 09:39 AM)

thanks for the suggestions everyone, i like this group

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 8 2011, 12:30 PM)
Blackfield is right up there with PT for me, regarding Wilson projects. I love those two albums and can't wait for III.

Yes, this is good news. Here is the first I have heard that a third album is coming out.

QUOTE (Ranger J @ Jan 9 2011, 10:16 PM)
Got hold of the 'Arriving Somewhere' DVD yesterday. Look forward to giving it a spin as I have been getting into both Deadwing and In Absentia lately.

It is quite awesome.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 9 2011, 09:32 PM)
Got hold of the 'Arriving Somewhere' DVD yesterday. Look forward to giving it a spin as I have been getting into both Deadwing and In Absentia lately.

It is quite awesome.

Indeed. This is one of my favorite DVDs

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 9 2011, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 9 2011, 09:32 PM)

It is quite awesome.

Indeed. This is one of my favorite DVDs

I concur!! In fact, I just watched it again last Friday night. Don't get me wrong, I love the Anesthetize Blu-ray but A.S. has such a great setlist. Still my favorite music DVD by anyone!!

Interesting that they decided to not name the album Blackfield III, which is what everyone was expecting the new album to be titled. The title of the first two albums reminded me of how Led Zeppelin named their first four albums. I found that way of titling albums to be very cool in a way.

Nevertheless, the title Welcome to My DNA sounds cool, and I'm looking forward to it. My birthday's in March which means it'll coincide with the album's release date, so it'll be a proper birthday present for me.

Edited by PolarizeMe

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Jan 13 2011, 12:35 AM)
Interesting that they decided to not name the album Blackfield III, which is what everyone was expecting the new album to be titled. The title of the first two albums reminded me of how Led Zeppelin named their first four albums. I found that way of titling albums to be very cool in a way.

Following the Van Halen route then. smile.gif