Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Oct 26 2010, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 25 2010, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (KW84 @ Oct 25 2010, 11:12 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 25 2010, 11:06 PM)
Steven Wilson is the man who just keeps giving...... What a f***ing champion.

yes.gif applaudit.gif

goodpost.gif

Agreed. One of the nicest and most generous men in music today. Whatever music he comes up with and presents, I'll always be happy to cherish and listen to them. He simply puts his heart and soul into making music and that's why I love him as a musician. There's nothing he's ever done that was dead and unemotional, IMO.

But you are actually going to buy the stuff... Right?

Yeah, of course I'm going to buy the stuff. I'm a 100% supporter on buying physical or download only albums. The last thing I want to do is to leech off of Steven Wilson. And that would definitely NOT be something I want to be remembered for. sad.gif

So far, almost physical copy of PT material I have were bought from the PT Store with only one or two exceptions, and even when I bought an album (Up the Downstair) on Amazon, the album arrived in my mail with the front cover of the linear notes ruined and the back of the hardcover case with a huge scratch like dent. I felt so superstitious because of that incident, I've exclusively bought or downloaded PT/Steven Wilson related material on Burning Shed ever since.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 26 2010, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Oct 26 2010, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 25 2010, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (KW84 @ Oct 25 2010, 11:12 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 25 2010, 11:06 PM)
Steven Wilson is the man who just keeps giving...... What a f***ing champion.

yes.gif applaudit.gif

goodpost.gif

Agreed. One of the nicest and most generous men in music today. Whatever music he comes up with and presents, I'll always be happy to cherish and listen to them. He simply puts his heart and soul into making music and that's why I love him as a musician. There's nothing he's ever done that was dead and unemotional, IMO.

But you are actually going to buy the stuff... Right?

Yeah, of course I'm going to buy the stuff. I'm a 100% supporter on buying physical or download only albums. The last thing I want to do is to leech off of Steven Wilson. And that would definitely NOT be something I want to be remembered for. sad.gif

So far, almost physical copy of PT material I have were bought from the PT Store with only one or two exceptions, and even when I bought an album (Up the Downstair) on Amazon, the album arrived in my mail with the front cover of the linear notes ruined and the back of the hardcover case with a huge scratch like dent. I felt so superstitious because of that incident, I've exclusively bought or downloaded PT/Steven Wilson related material on Burning Shed ever since.

trink39.gif

This is what I like to hear... The Shed is where to get stuff for sure. smile.gif

That being said, I am glad that the 5 bonus tracks from Insurgentes got posted to the SW soundcloud, because unless you purchased the SE you did not get to hear them... I am glad that people who bought the regular version got the chance to hear these and get a halfway decent (.WAV) copy of them...

As far as ever having any PT stuff make it on there, unless it is out of print it is doubtful... It will be solely SW stuff, because the other members will not get paid and I don't see that happening. Recordings out of print like 'Spiral Circus' for example would also lose their rareness as well.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Oct 23 2010, 04:10 PM)
I find Mellotron Scratch to be one of their best & most beautiful songs, & also I believe it's underrated. Especially on the Deadwing album.
Anyone agree/disagree?

Its a great song, my favorite from Deadwing, and one of my favorites overall. Sometimes the first section seems a bit forced, or mechanical. there's just something about the way the beat sounds, I can't explain it. The chorus is nice, especially the way he plays the chords on the guitar.

What really makes the song, though, is the Townsend bit, and then the finale. The arpeggios Wilson plays through the finale are simply gorgeous, and the way it begins with the band falling back and then coming in slowly to play along is breath taking. Colin Edwin plays one of the nicest bass lines I have ever heard. And then there's the vocals. The first time I heard this song, I was in the car, and really only paying half attention. Sometimes that is really when you hear the most. The vocals started, and I thought I was hearing some long lost Yes song with Anderson, Squire, and Howe killing it on harmonies.

Great song, and I'd love to see them play it live.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 27 2010, 03:56 PM)
My Insurgentes DVD arrived today! Going to watch it right now!

ohmy.gif

I hope mine is in the mailbox when I get home. But, I'm sorry, it will have to wait to be watched until Friday night. The Texas Rangers play in their first World Series starting tonight. So, no spoilers!!!!!!!

Finished watching the documentary but like you said, I'm not going to spoil it!

Speaking of tour merchandises on Burning Shed, just for curiosity, was the light grey Recordings shirt sold at the Radio City show or the dark grey one? Cause based on my memory, it looked like it was the light grey one, but I'm still uncertain. Regardless, I personally like the light grey one better than the dark one, but that's just me.

Edited by PolarizeMe

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 27 2010, 07:31 PM)

Speaking of tour merchandises on Burning Shed, just for curiosity, was the light grey Recordings shirt sold at the Radio City show or the dark grey one? Cause based on my memory, it looked like it was the light grey one, but I'm still uncertain. Regardless, I personally like the light grey one better than the dark one, but that's just me.

I recall seeing the light gray one.

I just ordered "Recordings" yesterday. Any thoughts? Did I make a wise purchase?

I also ordered the RCMH / RAH poster. I wanted to buy it at the RCMH show, but didn't want to carry a big tube around. I'm glad they made it available for purchase online.

QUOTE (Natch @ Oct 28 2010, 09:42 AM)
I just ordered "Recordings" yesterday. Any thoughts? Did I make a wise purchase?

I also ordered the RCMH / RAH poster. I wanted to buy it at the RCMH show, but didn't want to carry a big tube around. I'm glad they made it available for purchase online.

Recordings is definitely a wise purchase. Congrats on scoring that poster, too. You done good. yes.gif

My copy of the Insurgentes DVD didn't come yesterday. Shame, since the bull crap I witnessed last night made me want to wretch. angry.gif

I hope that at some point Burning Shed runs across some of those Lightbulb Sun shirts with the Last Chance to Evacuate narrative on it. I want that shirt really, really bad.

QUOTE (Natch @ Oct 28 2010, 10:42 AM)

I have to say that I'm not big on 'Recordings'.

Not surprised that all those tracks didn't make it on to their studio albums, sans half of Even Less.

I dunno, it will probably grow on me but for now I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

It's definitely a good purchase though, at least for big PT fans.

QUOTE (Natch @ Oct 28 2010, 09:39 AM)

I recall seeing the light gray one.

I thought so, I wanted to pick up both the RCMH and Recordings shirt at the show but I only had enough for one shirt and bought the RCMH shirt just to be safe.

Recordings is definitely worth the purchase...it's been out of print for a long time, and they've just reissued it last September. You should consider yourself lucky that you purchased it before it might go out of print again, I've been a fan for only 10 months and I've made sure to buy any rare/out of print reissues before they're gone. The album itself has some nice gems though, for example Buying New Soul and Even Less.

Ok... so... my copy of the Insurgentes DVD came yesterday. I'll watch it tonight. But, of course I flipped through the booklet, came to the pic of SW strapped to a bed, and seriously almost fell down. ohmy.gif I know it's supposed to be some kind of "I'm mental and need to be restrained..." type thing. But, that's not at ALL how my mind perceived it at first glance. holy hell.....

anyhoo.....

I can't wait to see the DVD. smile.gif

Ok... so... my copy of the Insurgentes DVD came yesterday. I'll watch it tonight. But, of course I flipped through the booklet, came to the pic of SW strapped to a bed, and seriously almost fell down. ohmy.gif I know it's supposed to be some kind of "I'm mental and need to be restrained..." type thing. But, that's not at ALL how my mind perceived it at first glance. holy hell.....

anyhoo.....

I can't wait to see the DVD. smile.gif

I would LOVE to see that picture. drool1.gif

Edited by KW84

QUOTE (KW84 @ Oct 29 2010, 10:57 AM)
[/quote]

anyhoo.....

I can't wait to see the DVD. smile.gif [/quote]
I would LOVE to see that picture. drool1.gif

Girl.... wacko.gif

It's CRAZY hot. Don't know if I can get it scanned, but I'll try.

SW has done a 3 part interview for Roadrunner Records, recorded before the RAH show..

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3/Fianal Part

In part 3 he states that PT will probably not get back together until 2012... but he updates on the 3 other things he's got going on..... 2nd solo album, Blackfiled III, and goes into great detail about the project with Mikael Akerfeldt...

The big update on the Mikael Akerfeldt project was great, but the biggest news out of this interview is that SW's second solo album is...

1. Almost Complete

2. Will probably be out in the spring.

3. A f***ing DOUBLE ALBUM! HELL YEAH!

I'm watching the Insurgentes DVD right now. And, I hope not to spoil anything, so I'll be as general as possible here. I appreciate SW's point of the demise of the "art" of music, or what used to be the art that came with music. I agree that there is a sterility that has come with the age of the CD. There isn't much but the CD when you buy it. (I won't even touch on the MP3 here. It's just a computer file, after all. Not much AT ALL to that.) Very few artists take the extra step in the process to present their music in a visually asthetic way. I remember getting the R30 DVD package and being so excited that it had those two picks and the "backstage pass" included, not thinking about how ridiculous and manufactured they were. I was floored, and actually inspired, when I got the deluxe edition of The Incident. The artistic value of not just the music, but what came with the CD's, made me feel like I had made a valuable investment in it. The discs weren't even the main component. The art was the main focus. In the packaging of it, anyway. It cost a pretty penny, mind you, and it pissed me off a little to be spending that much money at the time I made the actual purchase. But, having it in my hands and seeing exactly what I had paid for made it worth the price. And, I didn't buy any other music for a long time, because that ate up my music budget. But, it was like when we were kids and we had to take the time to decide, "Is this REALLY what I want? Because this is it for a while." Now, having the Insurgentes DVD and seeing the way it's packaged in an incredibly beautiful artistic way, and NOT costing a pretty penny, I appreciate his message that much more.

I paused the DVD and went to look through my vinyl collection, or what's left of it. And, I know what he means. I miss that tangible element of having a record sleeve in my hands to look at and pour over the lyrics from while I listen to the music. This might sound goofy, but I sometimes stick my nose into the sleeves and take a deep breath, because they still smell like my bedroom from when I was growing up. It would be cool to travel around and make a documentary of people showing their vinyl collections and telling their stories of them. It wouldn't be a very interesting documentary if it were to be of people showing off their CD collections. It isn't the same.

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 29 2010, 10:11 PM)
I'm watching the Insurgentes DVD right now. And, I hope not to spoil anything, so I'll be as general as possible here. I appreciate SW's point of the demise of the "art" of music, or what used to be the art that came with music. I agree that there is a sterility that has come with the age of the CD. There isn't much but the CD when you buy it. (I won't even touch on the MP3 here. It's just a computer file, after all. Not much AT ALL to that.) Very few artists take the extra step in the process to present their music in a visually asthetic way. I remember getting the R30 DVD package and being so excited that it had those two picks and the "backstage pass" included, not thinking about how ridiculous and manufactured they were. I was floored, and actually inspired, when I got the deluxe edition of The Incident. The artistic value of not just the music, but what came with the CD's, made me feel like I had made a valuable investment in it. The discs weren't even the main component. The art was the main focus. In the packaging of it, anyway. It cost a pretty penny, mind you, and it pissed me off a little to be spending that much money at the time I made the actual purchase. But, having it in my hands and seeing exactly what I had paid for made it worth the price. And, I didn't buy any other music for a long time, because that ate up my music budget. But, it was like when we were kids and we had to take the time to decide, "Is this REALLY what I want? Because this is it for a while." Now, having the Insurgentes DVD and seeing the way it's packaged in an incredibly beautiful artistic way, and NOT costing a pretty penny, I appreciate his message that much more.

I paused the DVD and went to look through my vinyl collection, or what's left of it. And, I know what he means. I miss that tangible element of having a record sleeve in my hands to look at and pour over the lyrics from while I listen to the music. This might sound goofy, but I sometimes stick my nose into the sleeves and take a deep breath, because they still smell like my bedroom from when I was growing up. It would be cool to travel around and make a documentary of people showing their vinyl collections and telling their stories of them. It wouldn't be a very interesting documentary if it were to be of people showing off their CD collections. It isn't the same.

Wow.

goodpost.gif

I'd love to see the old 12"x12" album style come back in, even if only by way of special ordering. It wouldn't be hard to do, and they could find a clever and secure way of storing the CD in it. The jewel case packaging of the CD leaves so much to be desired. Sure, some of the booklets you get with them are nice, but they are just nice. There's nothing amazing about them. Imagine the artwork that came in the Snakes and Arrows CD booklet blown up to 12"x12" size. A song on each page, with larger images.

I love the portability to Cd's and MP3's. We can still have that, but with a better total package.

I'm with you, Sue!!!

trink39.gif