Trains
Anesthetize
Lazarus
Prodigal
Way Out Of Here
Dark Matter

those are ALL great tracks!!

but you should really invest in some full Porcupine Tree albums,

because that is how they are intended to be listened to!

get The Incident, Fear Of A Blank Planet, and In Absentia.. A S A P ! ! !

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Oct 26 2009, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Oct 24 2009, 07:25 PM)
Fear Of A Blank Planet
The Sound of Muzak
Time Flies
The Start of Something Beautiful
Mother and Child Divided
Strip The Soul
Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here
Blackest Eyes
Trains
Anesthetize
Lazarus
Prodigal
Way Out Of Here
Dark Matter

I own Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing, and Fear of a Blank Planet. And you're right, they are fantastic to listen to from start to finish. But inevitably, there are going to be standout songs that just demand for my attention, and from those came this list.

I want to get The Incident next, and I think I also want Signify since Dark Matter is such an amazing song to me. That is the very first PT song I ever heard, and it holds 'that' torch.

QUOTE (Pags @ Oct 26 2009, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Oct 26 2009, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Oct 24 2009, 07:25 PM)
Fear Of A Blank Planet
The Sound of Muzak
Time Flies
The Start of Something Beautiful
Mother and Child Divided
Strip The Soul
Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here
Blackest Eyes
Trains
Anesthetize
Lazarus
Prodigal
Way Out Of Here
Dark Matter

I own Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing, and Fear of a Blank Planet. And you're right, they are fantastic to listen to from start to finish. But inevitably, there are going to be standout songs that just demand for my attention, and from those came this list.

I want to get The Incident next, and I think I also want Signify since Dark Matter is such an amazing song to me. That is the very first PT song I ever heard, and it holds 'that' torch.

Add Stupid Dream to that list immediately! smile.gif

I only recently started listening to PT. I had heard of them a few times in the past, but I can't remember if I ever gave them a listen. Well, a few weeks ago, after reading through this thread, I bought the Deadwing album. I was totally blown away! These guys are very good. In addition to Deadwing, I have FOBP, In Absentia, The Incident, and Stupid Dream. I'll be adding to that list soon.

Thanks to all of you who made recommendations and gave their opinions. If it wasn't for this thread, I might not have ever given PT a listen.

QUOTE (Natch @ Oct 28 2009, 01:33 PM)
I only recently started listening to PT. I had heard of them a few times in the past, but I can't remember if I ever gave them a listen. Well, a few weeks ago, after reading through this thread, I bought the Deadwing album. I was totally blown away! These guys are very good. In addition to Deadwing, I have FOBP, In Absentia, The Incident, and Stupid Dream. I'll be adding to that list soon.

Thanks to all of you who made recommendations and gave their opinions. If it wasn't for this thread, I might not have ever given PT a listen.

Deadwing blew me away too. what a great disc.

QUOTE (Natch @ Oct 28 2009, 02:33 PM)

Make sure you check them out live when they probably come to your area on next leg of tour trink39.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ Oct 29 2009, 06:35 PM)
any Voyage 34 fans here?
I love it, even though it's not a real album it works as one.

Voyage 34 is great...... the first phase is classic..

The live version on Warsazawa is excellent.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Oct 30 2009, 11:16 PM)
"Lazarus" is amazing.
Just a completely beautiful song.

It is but here is an example of how overplaying can ruin it, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGk5aUDntwY

It's amazing how unique a vibe they had pre-In Absentia. IA is probably my favorite album of theirs but they lost that great psychedelic vibe they had on the earlier albums completely by then. The Incident feels a bit more in that direction than FOABP or DW which is probably why I love it so much.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Oct 31 2009, 10:05 AM)
It's amazing how unique a vibe they had pre-In Absentia. IA is probably my favorite album of theirs but they lost that great psychedelic vibe they had on the earlier albums completely by then. The Incident feels a bit more in that direction than FOABP or DW which is probably why I love it so much.

Dark Matter from Signify is the very first song I heard from them, and the floaty psychodelic lush sound is what grabbed me. But then I heard the more recent stuff and I haven't been able to stop listening. I need to dive more into the earlier material now.

QUOTE (Pags @ Oct 31 2009, 10:17 AM)
It's amazing how unique a vibe they had pre-In Absentia.  IA is probably my favorite album of theirs but they lost that great psychedelic vibe they had on the earlier albums completely by then.  The Incident feels a bit more in that direction than FOABP or DW which is probably why I love it so much.

Dark Matter from Signify is the very first song I heard from them, and the floaty psychodelic lush sound is what grabbed me. But then I heard the more recent stuff and I haven't been able to stop listening. I need to dive more into the earlier material now.

I have a friend in N. Carolina, and we've been friends for over 20 years. He's a big Rush fan like us. He called me last night and says, "You ever hear of a band called Porcupine Tree? A fellow Rush fan friend down here gave me a CD." biggrin.gif We spent the next 20 minutes talking about why we like them.

Another one hooked. 1022.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 31 2009, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Oct 31 2009, 10:17 AM)
It's amazing how unique a vibe they had pre-In Absentia.  IA is probably my favorite album of theirs but they lost that great psychedelic vibe they had on the earlier albums completely by then.  The Incident feels a bit more in that direction than FOABP or DW which is probably why I love it so much.

I have a friend in N. Carolina, and we've been friends for over 20 years. He's a big Rush fan like us. He called me last night and says, "You ever hear of a band called Porcupine Tree? A fellow Rush fan friend down here gave me a CD." biggrin.gif We spent the next 20 minutes talking about why we like them.

Another one hooked. 1022.gif

1022.gif

Awesome!

QUOTE (Pags @ Oct 31 2009, 09:17 AM)

Dark Matter is a brilliant song. I'm rather envious of the way Steven allows his music to expand in unfold in such a natural way. I've used him as an inspiration a lot in helping me develop songs more fully instead of being so compact and time/space-conscious with them. Early PT is amazing stuff. Cure For Optimism, The Sky Moves Sideways, Stars Die, Always Never, Burning Sky, Buying New Soul, Sleep Of No Dreaming, Dark Matter, and Voyage 34 are my favorite early PT songs

For those looking to adventure going into the realms of early PT... I would reccomend, as I have before, the "Stars Die: The Delerium Years 1991-1997" compilation" or the Live album "Coma Devine"

both great early PT tasters.

First time listener here as of tonight.

Today I picked up a copy of "The Incident"........and I gotta say, I really like what I hear so far.

Pretty awesome band I'm finally discovering.

Ah...tis' good to branch out now and then.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 31 2009, 09:33 PM)

Today I picked up a copy of "The Incident"........and I gotta say, I really like what I hear so far.

Right on! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I can almost guarantee, the more you hear to more you'll like them. And, imo you picked a really good place to start. In an interview with Colin Edwin, their bass player, he said he would recommend The Incident to anyone new to Porcupine Tree since it represents everything the band has done to date.

Anyway, enjoy the journey. trink39.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 31 2009, 09:33 PM)

1022.gif

Yes.....day two of my PT experience. I'm on my third listen of .......... "The Incident"...........

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 2 2009, 09:28 AM)
Yes.....day two of my PT experience. I'm on my third listen of .......... "The Incident"...........

Just gets better and better and better and...DAMN!!...well there's no smilie for that but I'm sure you get the idea biggrin.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 1 2009, 04:28 PM)

Crossing my fingers for ya, bud! This band is truly one of the best out there these days.

I agree with GrandDesigner in that they've lost a lot of the overall psychedelic vibes they had going in the 90s...

But they have began to retain some of it with FoaBP...

I am also a big fan of the "psychedelic years".

Just adore The Sky Moves Sideways & Signify... biggrin.gif