Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 7 2009, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (Kaitlyn @ Oct 6 2009, 08:22 PM)
What do you guys recommend are good songs for a first time listener? I've heard about PT a lot, and I'm thinking I'm going to give them a try, but don't know where to begin... I guess this would be the best thread to ask!

Depends what type of type of music you like. PT has so many different sounds.

I would start with In Absentia album and continue up to The Incident(Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet, some EP's)...and then if you find you like it then go back to the earlier material.

Checking out their DVD "Arriving Somewhere" would be a good idea as well...the clip 73 posted above is from this DVD.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 7 2009, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 7 2009, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (Kaitlyn @ Oct 6 2009, 08:22 PM)
What do you guys recommend are good songs for a first time listener? I've heard about PT a lot, and I'm thinking I'm going to give them a try, but don't know where to begin... I guess this would be the best thread to ask!

Depends what type of type of music you like. PT has so many different sounds.

I would start with In Absentia album and continue up to The Incident(Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet, some EP's)...and then if you find you like it then go back to the earlier material.

Checking out their DVD "Arriving Somewhere" would be a good idea as well...the clip 73 posted above is from this DVD.

Search YouTube for other songs as well! yes.gif

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Oct 7 2009, 05:38 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 7 2009, 03:26 PM)
I need second leg US tour dates NOW.  angry.gif

have you seen them live? it is life changing

Dang skippy...

I drug two friends to the FOAB show in Hotlanta. I bought their tickets just so they would go.

Now they are obsessed...

QUOTE (MrHands @ Oct 8 2009, 01:58 PM)

Dang skippy...

I drug two friends to the FOAB show in Hotlanta. I bought their tickets just so they would go.

Now they are obsessed...

I'm pretty antsy waiting to hear, too. If they come to Dallas, my 12-year-old son wants very badly to see them. But, they seem to be playing in venues where you have to be 21 (or 18?) to get in. Anyone see them this leg where that wasn't the case? If I remember correctly, they played House of Blues here for the FOABP tour, which does have an age limit.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 8 2009, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (MrHands @ Oct 8 2009, 01:58 PM)

Dang skippy...

Now they are obsessed...

I'm pretty antsy waiting to hear, too. If they come to Dallas, my 12-year-old son wants very badly to see them. But, they seem to be playing in venues where you have to be 21 (or 18?) to get in. Anyone see them this leg where that wasn't the case? If I remember correctly, they played House of Blues here for the FOABP tour, which does have an age limit.

The place I saw them in NYC was technically a club -- a place to see a band with bars that served drinks. But most concerts there are listed as "all ages" shows. While standing on line to get in they gave out bracelets for those who were over 21 and wished to buy drinks, and they checked IDs for all those people.

I looked up HOB, and the shows are "all ages." That's cool. There's no one on the planet I'd rather see Porcupine Tree with than my son. smile.gif He likes Steven Wilson's "Wah technique," and how he uses drop tuning. He's teaching himself to play FOAB and LOVES "Bonnie the Cat." new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 8 2009, 04:06 PM)
I looked up HOB, and the shows are "all ages." That's cool. There's no one on the planet I'd rather see Porcupine Tree with than my son. smile.gif He likes Steven Wilson's "Wah technique," and how he uses drop tuning. He's teaching himself to play FOAB and LOVES "Bonnie the Cat." new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

He's headed down the right road. He's listening to the right bands for inspiration. 1022.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 8 2009, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 8 2009, 04:06 PM)
I looked up HOB, and the shows are "all ages." That's cool. There's no one on the planet I'd rather see Porcupine Tree with than my son.  smile.gif He likes Steven Wilson's "Wah technique," and how he uses drop tuning. He's teaching himself to play FOAB and LOVES "Bonnie the Cat."  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

He's headed down the right road. He's listening to the right bands for inspiration. 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 8 2009, 04:56 PM)
A question for anyone who bought the deluxe edition of the Incident?

How does the album sound in 5.1......? The set was so damn expensive...I got the regular release....

I still need to buy "Incident," along with "In Absentia" and "Deadwing." I will be buying those in 5.1, and am just waiting till I have the spare cash to pick them up.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 8 2009, 03:02 PM)

How does the album sound in 5.1......?  The set was so damn expensive...I got the regular release....

I still need to buy "Incident," along with "In Absentia" and "Deadwing." I will be buying those in 5.1, and am just waiting till I have the spare cash to pick them up.

the 5.1 mix was only available with the Deluxe edition of the incident. It also had alot of artwork with it..

the set is about 100 smackaroos!... I do have the 5.1 of In Absentia...it sounds great

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 8 2009, 05:11 PM)

How does the album sound in 5.1......?  The set was so damn expensive...I got the regular release....

the 5.1 mix was only available with the Deluxe edition of the incident. It also had alot of artwork with it..

the set is about 100 smackaroos!... I do have the 5.1 of In Absentia...it sounds great

It was the best $106.99 I have ever spent. Lasse Hoile's photography is stunning like always. I love his work. 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 (along with anyone else that wants to listen to the 5.1 mix of "The Incident"), I wish you could purchase the 5.1 mix DVD by itself. It is unfair for the people that don't want the 116 page Lasse Hoile photography hardback book and 48 page paperback book of Hajo Mueller's drawings. My favorite 5.1 mix is for "In Absentia". But, the 5.1 mix for "The Incident" is pretty good. The 5.1 mix definitely sounds excellent with a decent surround sound system.

QUOTE (BB&B @ Oct 9 2009, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 8 2009, 05:11 PM)

It was the best $106.99 I have ever spent. Lasse Hoile's photography is stunning like always. I love his work. 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 (along with anyone else that wants to listen to the 5.1 mix of "The Incident"), I wish you could purchase the 5.1 mix DVD by itself. It is unfair for the people that don't want the 116 page Lasse Hoile photography hardback book and 48 page paperback book of Hajo Mueller's drawings. My favorite 5.1 mix is for "In Absentia". But, the 5.1 mix for "The Incident" is pretty good. The 5.1 mix definitely sounds excellent with a decent surround sound system.

If they follow the same schedule as with FOABP the DVD AUDIO/ DTS 5.1 mix will most likely be available around Christmas early new-year as a stand alone disc. They usually stick a HI-Res stereo track on there as well.

"The Incident" is the only CD I have from PT, everything else is HI-Res

multi channel which is how I got into them in the first place.

"Stupid Dream" DVD-A might be the best sounding disc by anybody I've heard.

Take Care

Wow. Aren't Porcupine Tree getting a little bit good now!

Last night was a phenomenal experience, certainly the best concert of theres I've attended. Had excellent seats; they didn't allocate specific seats to the ROABP scheme(so be warned anyone who has joined and thought otherwise!), you just turned up and it was first come first serve, so ended up scoring seats front row and a little to the right of Colin, so I had an uninterrupted view of Gavin all night which was deinfintely a good thing.

As you all know, they opened with The Incident in the first half. Very, very intense. I don't quite know why it was intense; maybe it was being able to see the concentration on the bands' faces, maybe it was the music having no breaks between songs, maybe it was the backing videos. I don't know. But it felt like listening to a new album for the first time except you have the band infront of you playing it rather than a stereo system. It was a serious performance as well; hardly any audience interaction, hardly any audience participation, a proper sit down, listen and appreciate moment. The second half was far more fun, with a relaxed atmosphere. Obviously, it's always fun to hear some of the older stuff played again, and the familiarity relaxed both band and audience, with SW pleading with us to stand up for Pills I'm Taking and the rest of the set, so I was leaning on the stage for most of the night. Apart from a slight technical hitch with SW's in-ear monitors, which for some reason prompted a breakout of Freebird requests(he's heard it way too many times since the DVD apparently), the set ran seamlessly. First time I've ever been in a gig when the audience clapping for an encore is in time with each other aswell! Overall, it was a great night.

Setlist:

First Half

The Incident

Second Half

The Start Of Something Beautiful

Buying New Soul

Pill's I'm Taking

Remember Me Lover

Strip The Soul

Lazarus

Way Out Of Here

-

Sound Of Muzak

Trains

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 11 2009, 05:39 AM)
Wow. Aren't Porcupine Tree getting a little bit good now!

Last night was a phenomenal experience, certainly the best concert of theres I've attended. Had excellent seats; they didn't allocate specific seats to the ROABP scheme(so be warned anyone who has joined and thought otherwise!), you just turned up and it was first come first serve, so ended up scoring seats front row and a little to the right of Colin, so I had an uninterrupted view of Gavin all night which was deinfintely a good thing.

As you all know, they opened with The Incident in the first half. Very, very intense. I don't quite know why it was intense; maybe it was being able to see the concentration on the bands' faces, maybe it was the music having no breaks between songs, maybe it was the backing videos. I don't know. But it felt like listening to a new album for the first time except you have the band infront of you playing it rather than a stereo system. It was a serious performance as well; hardly any audience interaction, hardly any audience participation, a proper sit down, listen and appreciate moment. The second half was far more fun, with a relaxed atmosphere. Obviously, it's always fun to hear some of the older stuff played again, and the familiarity relaxed both band and audience, with SW pleading with us to stand up for Pills I'm Taking and the rest of the set, so I was leaning on the stage for most of the night. Apart from a slight technical hitch with SW's in-ear monitors, which for some reason prompted a breakout of Freebird requests(he's heard it way too many times since the DVD apparently), the set ran seamlessly. First time I've ever been in a gig when the audience clapping for an encore is in time with each other aswell! Overall, it was a great night.

Setlist:

First Half

The Incident

Second Half

The Start Of Something Beautiful
Buying New Soul
Pill's I'm Taking
Remember Me Lover
Strip The Soul
Lazarus
Way Out Of Here
-
Sound Of Muzak
Trains

Excellent! How did "Remember Me Lover" sound live? I absolutely love that song, and if it's done justice live, would be hyped to have it on the set list if they come to Dallas.

Does anyone know of any good boots from this tour so far?

I need to set up a new DIME account.... I don't have my old log in information... and the email that my account was linked to no longer exists.