Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 27 2009, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Sep 27 2009, 07:19 AM)
just got back from the Electric Factory and this was one of the BEST shows ive ever seen in my life.
f***ing AMAZING.

The Incident in its entirety was UNREAL, Steven changes instruments every 4 seconds too haha....hes an animal! Gavin was a beast, as expected, and John Wesley was at the top of his game.

there were a few technical issues that Steve joked about throughout (broken string on the first song, dead guitar wire during Time Flies, forgotten lyric in Sound Of Muzak etc etc) but it was amazing reguardless.

the sound was not bad at all, contrary to what ive been told about the EF.

oh an did i mention I WAS IN THE FIRST ROW?!?!?!?!??!
best night ever.

good night.

I'm much more interested in what you thought of Kings X wink.gif

You are such a Kings X fanboy! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Sep 27 2009, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 27 2009, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Sep 27 2009, 07:19 AM)
just got back from the Electric Factory and this was one of the BEST shows ive ever seen in my life.
f***ing AMAZING.

The Incident in its entirety was UNREAL, Steven changes instruments every 4 seconds too haha....hes an animal! Gavin was a beast, as expected, and John Wesley was at the top of his game.

there were a few technical issues that Steve joked about throughout (broken string on the first song, dead guitar wire during Time Flies, forgotten lyric in Sound Of Muzak etc etc) but it was amazing reguardless.

the sound was not bad at all, contrary to what ive been told about the EF.

oh an did i mention I WAS IN THE FIRST ROW?!?!?!?!??!
best night ever.

good night.

I'm much more interested in what you thought of Kings X wink.gif

You are such a Kings X fanboy! tongue.gif

Yup, and I don't care.

It still amazes me that there are 61 pages on this thread, and only 7 on the Kings X one, but that seems to be a recurring theme, ie Kings X getting ignored in favour of other bands that are not as good wink.gif

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Sep 28 2009, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 28 2009, 12:57 AM)

It still amazes me that there are 61 pages on this thread, and only 7 on the Kings X one, but that seems to be a recurring theme, ie Kings X getting ignored in favour of other bands that are not as good wink.gif

i really beg to differ

Yeah, me too.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Sep 28 2009, 11:47 AM)

i really beg to differ

Yeah, me too.

Believe me, I'm not slagging off Porcupine Tree. It's true, I don't really like them, but that is simply because I'm not a great fan of their type of music.

However, Even looking at it objectively,Kings X have been woefully underrated by the music business at large, and I have never seen a band that compares with them live.

I'll shut up now, as this is not a Kings X thread wink.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 28 2009, 08:25 AM)

i really beg to differ

Yeah, me too.

Believe me, I'm not slagging off Porcupine Tree. It's true, I don't really like them, but that is simply because I'm not a great fan of their type of music.

However, Even looking at it objectively,Kings X have been woefully underrated by the music business at large, and I have never seen a band that compares with them live.

I saw King's X twice (2009-09-24 at the Terminal 5 in NYC and 2009-09-26 at the Electric Factory in Philly). They were one of the best opening acts I have ever seen. I have seen a lot of opening acts that I want to leave the stage ASAP. I wanted to hear more from King's X. I think they should be headlining in connection with some other band that opens for them. I was really impressed with their live show. I think PT is far better in both studio and concert than King's X. But I still enjoy King's X. They deserve greater recognition by the music industry, I agree with you there. I liked the whole story about the church of rock and roll, that was great.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Sep 28 2009, 06:47 AM)

i really beg to differ

Yeah, me too.

Same here. I've heard all Kings X music and it just doesn't work for me. confused13.gif

QUOTE (BB&B @ Sep 28 2009, 11:57 AM)

i really beg to differ

Yeah, me too.

I saw King's X twice (2009-09-24 at the Terminal 5 in NYC and 2009-09-26 at the Electric Factory in Philly). They were one of the best opening acts I have ever seen. I have seen a lot of opening acts that I want to leave the stage ASAP. I wanted to hear more from King's X. I think they should be headlining in connection with some other band that opens for them. I was really impressed with their live show. I think PT is far better in both studio and concert than King's X. But I still enjoy King's X. They deserve greater recognition by the music industry, I agree with you there. I liked the whole story about the church of rock and roll, that was great.

King's X does a lot of headlining. They just came off a tour of their own, in fact. I don't think opening for other bands is something they do a lot of. I do think it was a shrewd move to open for PT -- maybe they saw it as an opportunity to expand their fan base a bit. Judging by how the PT crowd enjoyed them in NYC, I'd say they accomplished just that.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 27 2009, 03:06 AM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 27 2009, 02:52 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 27 2009, 02:46 AM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 27 2009, 02:25 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 26 2009, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (Hear Again @ Sep 26 2009, 07:22 PM)
Call the venue.........
http://www.queenelizabeththeatre.ca/contact.html

I spoke to Bruno today.

Take Care

Well my ticket is a balcony seat so i dont think it is genral admission up there...

And mine say Left Orch., Row A; so I don't think anywhere is GA.

We need to arrange a meet up of TRFers....to let you know I'm staying at Skydome Hotel. Will be in TO about 2:30-3pm on Wed.

Is that near the venue? I probably won't be leaving the Falls until that time, so I'll be in Toronto around 5 or so. A meetup sounds good if everything works out.

No unfortunately not (downtown) but hope to arrange some meetup near the venue....don't know any of the restaurants/bars near there but will see what I can find.

So any ideas for a meetup? Who here is all going to the show tomorrow night?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 29 2009, 08:20 PM)
Call the venue.........

I spoke to Bruno today.

Take Care

Well my ticket is a balcony seat so i dont think it is genral admission up there...

We need to arrange a meet up of TRFers....to let you know I'm staying at Skydome Hotel. Will be in TO about 2:30-3pm on Wed.

Is that near the venue? I probably won't be leaving the Falls until that time, so I'll be in Toronto around 5 or so. A meetup sounds good if everything works out.

No unfortunately not (downtown) but hope to arrange some meetup near the venue....don't know any of the restaurants/bars near there but will see what I can find.

K I got a message from Bastille night that he will be at Brazen Head pub on Liberty Street....around 5:00-6:00pm so I'll probably be there....just to let you guys know who are going to the show and want to hook up. Hope to see you there! trink39.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 29 2009, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 29 2009, 08:20 PM)
Call the venue.........

I spoke to Bruno today.

Take Care

K I got a message from Bastille night that he will be at Brazen Head pub on Liberty Street....around 5:00-6:00pm so I'll probably be there....just to let you guys know who are going to the show and want to hook up. Hope to see you there! trink39.gif

I'll try to make it, not sure if I'll be able to though.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 28 2009, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (BB&B @ Sep 28 2009, 11:57 AM)

i really beg to differ

Yeah, me too.

King's X does a lot of headlining. They just came off a tour of their own, in fact. I don't think opening for other bands is something they do a lot of. I do think it was a shrewd move to open for PT -- maybe they saw it as an opportunity to expand their fan base a bit. Judging by how the PT crowd enjoyed them in NYC, I'd say they accomplished just that.

Thanks 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 for letting me know. I don't know much about King's X so I was unaware of them headlining most shows. That's good to hear. You make a great point about them opening for PT. I know they turned me into a fan after I saw their splendid live performance. I need to pick up some of their albums. I wish I had some extra money to fly to Europe to see PT play. I guess I'll just have to wait until next year when PT comes back to the US to tour.

Edited by BB&B

Have to admit guys, when I bought the new PT and listened to it the first couple of times it didnt really grab me. But the more and more I listen to it (particularly the Incident straight through) the more I like - or should I say love it. This album is a classic "grower," which often turn out to be the best ones. And I cant wait to see it performed live on the second leg

And let me just add how great it is that in this itunes single age as we still have bands that produce quality full "albums" out there -- PT RULES!!!

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 30 2009, 10:11 AM)
Have to admit guys, when I bought the new PT and listened to it the first couple of times it didnt really grab me. But the more and more I listen to it (particularly the Incident straight through) the more I like - or should I say love it. This album is a classic "grower," which often turn out to be the best ones. And I cant wait to see it performed live on the second leg

And let me just add how great it is that in this itunes single age as we still have bands that produce quality full "albums" out there -- PT RULES!!!

Ha..just hand an iPOD to Steven and see "Pop"!!

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 30 2009, 04:11 PM)
Have to admit guys, when I bought the new PT and listened to it the first couple of times it didnt really grab me. But the more and more I listen to it (particularly the Incident straight through) the more I like - or should I say love it. This album is a classic "grower," which often turn out to be the best ones.

I had the same experience.

When I first heard The Incident, it didn't grab me like the previous albums did, but now it has grown on me a lot.

The first disc is pure genius. "Time Flies" has become one of my favorite PT songs.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the new stuff (and old stuff) live!

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 30 2009, 08:45 PM)
Random question (as I listen to it): HOW FREAKING GREAT IS HALO???

Ok, I'm done..

That entire album is freaking great! One of of the most perfect albums ever released IMO... Halo's a great track.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Sep 30 2009, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 30 2009, 04:11 PM)
Have to admit guys, when I bought the new PT and listened to it the first couple of times it didnt really grab me.  But the more and more I listen to it (particularly the Incident straight through) the more I like - or should I say love it.  This album is a classic "grower," which often turn out to be the best ones.

I had the same experience.

When I first heard The Incident, it didn't grab me like the previous albums did, but now it has grown on me a lot.

The first disc is pure genius. "Time Flies" has become one of my favorite PT songs.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the new stuff (and old stuff) live!

Add me to the grown on list..

"The Incident" did not have the same initial impact of albums like In Absentia, or FOABP...but it has significantly grown on me..

I Drive The Hearse is becoming one of my favorite tracks.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 30 2009, 03:51 PM)
Is it me, or is the heavy riff in the middle of "Fear Of A Blank Planet" (after the little drum break) one of the best riffs ever? That riff just kills.

Totally there with you....but I dont know if its their best riff. Steve amazes me with all the variety of riffs he comes up with. They are pure heavy, killing... I just love to try on my guitar to see how and where he is coming from...I dont think I have succeeded in decyphering his mind at all smile.gif

In their live show few days back, I thought the most killer part was the cut out Anesthetize. That rocked the house...I still hear it my head..everyone shouting "Only Apathy"....Damn...

QUOTE (tintedweed @ Sep 30 2009, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 30 2009, 03:51 PM)
Is it me, or is the heavy riff in the middle of "Fear Of A Blank Planet" (after the little drum break) one of the best riffs ever? That riff just kills.

Totally there with you....but I dont know if its their best riff. Steve amazes me with all the variety of riffs he comes up with. They are pure heavy, killing... I just love to try on my guitar to see how and where he is coming from...I dont think I have succeeded in decyphering his mind at all smile.gif

That riff, like so many others from him, is in drop-D tuning. Tuning that one string down makes you think a whole different way when writing guitar parts. I doubt he would have come up with that riff (transposed or otherwise) in standard tuning.

So my new issue of that evil prog-hating magazine Rolling Stone had this to say about the new album:

Porcupine Tree, The Incident  4 Stars (out of 5)
British prog-rockers aim high and deliver big
"I was born in '67/The year of Sgt. Pepper and Are You Experienced?": Steven Wilson, singer-founder of this defiantly progressive-rock British band, puts his ideals up front in "Time Flies," the propulsive, grand-jangle heart of The Incident. He is as good as his reach. The title suite on this two-CD set is the Tree's finest hour: a mounting drama of memoir and real-news trauma, animated with slicing guitars, ghost-song electronics, mile-high harmonies, and smart pop bait. The action is rich in classicism - add King Crimson and early Genesis to Wilson's list of high standards, which all come with renewed life. DAVID FRICKE

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 30 2009, 06:28 PM)
So my new issue of that evil prog-hating magazine Rolling Stone had this to say about the new album:

"I was born in '67/The year of Sgt. Pepper and Are You Experienced?": Steven Wilson, singer-founder of this defiantly progressive-rock British band, puts his ideals up front in "Time Flies," the propulsive, grand-jangle heart of The Incident. He is as good as his reach. The title suite on this two-CD set is the Tree's finest hour: a mounting drama of memoir and real-news trauma, animated with slicing guitars, ghost-song electronics, mile-high harmonies, and smart pop bait. The action is rich in classicism - add King Crimson and early Genesis to Wilson's list of high standards, which all come with renewed life. DAVID FRICKE

Was that Jimi/Beatles reference enough to coax Fricke into actually appreciating the music despite its proginess? Or is RS finally lightening up on all the prog hating in general?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 30 2009, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 30 2009, 06:28 PM)

Was that Jimi/Beatles reference enough to coax Fricke into actually appreciating the music despite its proginess? Or is RS finally lightening up on all the prog hating in general?

Fricke is usually pretty good. I remember he's talked up PT before (around the time of FOABP) and he included a favorable comparison to Rush in his writeup. Fricke and Rob Sheffield are usually pretty legit as far as RS writers go.