Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

October 13th is close, I'll be seeing them at the Olympia, wich is France's most "prestigious" venue...

I hate not knowing what the set list will be , but at the same time, I'll be surprised biggrin.gif

and Fripp opens... notworthy.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 25 2009, 11:42 AM)
So, I went to the NYC show last night, along with Pags. It was general admission, and we ended up on the floor about five rows back, in front of Colin and Gavin. Best spot in the house, I'd say. They are ridiculously good live. We know that from the DVD and other clips, but it's even better being there. Colin's bass rig sounds insane.

I hadn't bought or heard the new album yet (except for a little of "Time Flies"), so this was the first time I heard the "Incident" tracks. The 55-minute epic has a few what I would call slow spots where I thought it dragged a bit, but overall I really liked it, and need to get the CD so I can absorb it better. "Remember Me Lover" and "Russia On Ice" were the other new songs played in the second set.

They also pulled out "Mother and Child Divided," which was a very nice surprise. It was the show closer, replacing "Way Out Of Here," which I was really looking forward to seeing, but that's okay. The encore was "Muzak" and "Trains."

The only complaint I have was the light show. It was very underwhelming and dark. Nothing like what we saw on the "Arriving" DVD. I know lighting is usually amped up when filming a concert video, but still...

Also ran into another TRFer, an old-school original member named BB&B, whom I met at the Rush R30 Scranton show way back when. That was another nice surprise, and we all hung out together the whole night. Cool stuff! (BB&B, could you post the set list? I'm forgetting a song or two.)

Kings X opened. First time seeing them live, and they are SUCH a cool band. You can't help but smile the entire time they're on. I wouldn't have minded them playing longer than 45 minutes, and they were very well received. Another band I need to get into more.

Steven mentioned that PT might be coming around again early next year. I think I'll be seeing them again.

Definitely a GREAT evening. And all thanks to a certain individual on this board who was gracious enough to offer me his ticket, because he could not go. I owe him huge.

1-0-0-1 is right. Kings X was excellent and their frontman, Doug Pinnick, was the epitome of COOL. It just emitted from the guy, and he turned the entire crowd into his congregation. I loved it.

Meeting BB&B was an unexpected highlight, as well. A really great guy who's easily likable and fun to spend time with. I'm glad he and 1-0-0-1 recognized each other. It was very cool. It's great to see him back on the board, now. trink39.gif

We stood only about 6 people out from the stage, and had great views of the band all night. The sound quality was killer, imo. I was blown away by the clarity, the separation in sound, and the power. The drums and bass hit you like a punch at times. Just awesome.

I'm such a newbie to this band, so I've never heard a lot of the songs they played. But it didn't matter. It was very cool to hear them like this for the first time. I'm used to Rush shows where I already know every note before the concert. This is was pleasant switch.

Mother and Child Divided was probably my favorite, along with Time Flies, and of course... The Sound of Muzak. I am very happy to be able to say... "I saw that song played live".

trink39.gif

Glad to hear you had fun....

Hopefully on the second leg they will come closer to Nashville.. (Atlanta, or St.Louis are drivable for me) or Nashville itself..... all the shows on this leg are too damn far away and would require a plane ticket..

What did they have on the screen........ The screen for the FOABP tour was great.

I go to see them tonight at Baltimore...would be awesome..top band.

Relevant to Rush, I have seen pics of Neil Pert in one of their earlier show...that was cooll. Gavin even mentioned he was tight and bit nervous knowing Neil was in the crowd...Respect to the master!!.. But Gavin is amazing, a natural successor to the throne..

Edited by tintedweed

QUOTE (tintedweed @ Sep 25 2009, 12:32 PM)
I go to see them tonight at Baltimore...would be awesome..top band.

Relevant to Rush, I have seen pics of Neil Pert in one of their earlier show...that was cooll. Gavin even mentioned he was tight and bit nervous knowing Neil was in the crowd...Respect to the master!!.. But Gavin is amazing, a natural successor to the throne..

Do you have links to those pics and comments? Would love to see them.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 25 2009, 12:35 PM)
Does anyone have any hard info regarding a second leg in the US? The closest theyre playing to me is baltimore (tonight in fact). would love for them to come back to the 930 club down here.

During last night's show Steven mentioned something about returning to the States early next year. I don't know if I'd call that hard info, but it IS direct from the source, so we'll see.

QUOTE (BB&B @ Sep 25 2009, 11:47 AM)
I talked to Pags and 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 last night. They are great people. I had an excellent time with them. I had trouble taking pictures, security staff doesn't allow it. I took one picture each of CE, GH, and SW. I have to post them later today. I have to go to an interview at 12:30 PM today.

On my ticket it doesn't say "no cameras or video recorders allowed" or anything like that.....Wonder if I should bring my camera...I wonder if I can say that to any security regarding cameras...anyone know?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 25 2009, 10:41 AM)
Does anyone have any hard info regarding a second leg in the US?  The closest theyre playing to me is baltimore (tonight in fact).  would love for them to come back to the 930 club down here.

During last night's show Steven mentioned something about returning to the States early next year. I don't know if I'd call that hard info, but it IS direct from the source, so we'll see.

They did a second leg for the FOABP tour, (Which started right after the release of the Nil' Recurring EP), and they hit a few cities that they did not hit on leg 1....

They actually played Nashville on that leg, and that's where I got to see them! They did not do any dates in the south on this leg... I'd imagine they would come south of the Mason Dixon a few times on the next leg.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 25 2009, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 25 2009, 10:41 AM)
Does anyone have any hard info regarding a second leg in the US?  The closest theyre playing to me is baltimore (tonight in fact).  would love for them to come back to the 930 club down here.

They did a second leg for the FOABP tour, (Which started right after the release of the Nil' Recurring EP), and they hit a few cities that they did not hit on leg 1....

They actually played Nashville on that leg, and that's where I got to see them! They did not do any dates in the south on this leg... I'd imagine they would come south of the Mason Dixon a few times on the next leg.

They better, damn it.

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 25 2009, 11:41 AM)

Great. Thank you

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 25 2009, 12:51 PM)
I talked to Pags and 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 last night.  They are great people.  I had an excellent time with them.  I had trouble taking pictures, security staff doesn't allow it.  I took one picture each of CE, GH, and SW.  I have to post them later today.  I have to go to an interview at 12:30 PM today.

On my ticket it doesn't say "no cameras or video recorders allowed" or anything like that.....Wonder if I should bring my camera...I wonder if I can say that to any security regarding cameras...anyone know?

The no camera request comes from the band, not the venue. I have to assume you'll have the same restriction at your show.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 25 2009, 01:48 PM)
I talked to Pags and 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 last night.  They are great people.  I had an excellent time with them.  I had trouble taking pictures, security staff doesn't allow it.  I took one picture each of CE, GH, and SW.  I have to post them later today.  I have to go to an interview at 12:30 PM today.

The no camera request comes from the band, not the venue. I have to assume you'll have the same restriction at your show.

It was amazing to me (and a bit funny) to hear how many times the announcer used the words "the band" when reading the 'no cameras or recording equipment' request... which was quite a long announcement. So there were plenty of unmissed opportunities to slot in "the band".

He left no doubt in your mind of what "the band's" opinion is on this issue.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 25 2009, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 25 2009, 12:03 PM)
1-0-0-1 is right.  Kings X was excellent and their frontman, Doug Pinnick, was the epitome of COOL.  It just emitted from the guy, and he turned the entire crowd into his congregation.  I loved it.

Reverend Doug. 1022.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 25 2009, 12:07 PM)
goodpost.gif 's guys! I'm looking forward to seeing them for the first time on Wednesday in Toronto! trink39.gif

Surprisingly there is no opening band for PT that night. confused13.gif Also tickets were only 35 bucks ohmy.gif

You sure? I would love that, but that doesn't seem right.

Also, this is my 3rd time seeing them, but I have front row this time, so I'm super excited. Setlists are looking great.

QUOTE (BB&B @ Sep 25 2009, 10:47 AM)
2009-09-24 - Porcupine Tree @ Terminal 5 in New York, NY

I'll edit this post with some PT pictures later today, please check back if interested.  These pictures aren't great, but I tried my best.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm184/tongue_dances/2009-09-24-DMJ-ColinEdwin600.jpg

CE

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm184/tongue_dances/2009-09-24-DMJ-GavinHarrison600.jpg

GH

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm184/tongue_dances/2009-09-24-DMJ-StevenWilson600.jpg

SW

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 25 2009, 03:40 PM)
goodpost.gif 's guys!  I'm looking forward to seeing them for the first time on Wednesday in Toronto!  trink39.gif 

Surprisingly there is no opening band for PT that night.  confused13.gif  Also tickets were only 35 bucks  ohmy.gif

Also, this is my 3rd time seeing them, but I have front row this time, so I'm super excited. Setlists are looking great.

What no opening band?

I have seen no announcement of one...not even on official website nor the venue's website.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 25 2009, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 25 2009, 03:40 PM)
goodpost.gif 's guys!  I'm looking forward to seeing them for the first time on Wednesday in Toronto!  trink39.gif 

Surprisingly there is no opening band for PT that night.  confused13.gif  Also tickets were only 35 bucks  ohmy.gif

What no opening band?

I have seen no announcement of one...not even on official website nor the venue's website.

OK I just found out King's X is opening...my bad. Til now I never read or heard about an opening act.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 25 2009, 10:48 AM)

That is correct.

Heck, I almost got booted for taking a few.

The Warfield Crew were on their game all night long.

I remember that second leg on the FOABP Tour.

I think it was East Coast only.

Hope PT comes back to California next year.

I would love to see them play at The Fox in Oakland.

The City dumped millions of dollars into that old theater.

It's an incredible venue now.

Saw Jeff Beck and The Decemberists there.

Stone Temple Pilots is playing there soon. Crazy.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 25 2009, 05:47 PM)
^^^^ great pics, BB&B. Thanks for sharing 'em.

Thank you for the compliment, sullysue. I am glad you enjoyed them.

I snapped quick pictures of RB and JW, but they didn't come out well. I have a second chance to get their pictures tomorrow. I can't wait to see PT again in Philly! I purchased The Incident Art Print (lithograph) which is limited to 500 numbered copies Worldwide.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupine...oduct/324/1760/

It is really beautiful, I love artwork.

QUOTE (BB&B @ Sep 25 2009, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 25 2009, 05:47 PM)
^^^^ great pics, BB&B. Thanks for sharing 'em.

Thank you for the compliment, sullysue. I am glad you enjoyed them.

I snapped quick pictures of RB and JW, but they didn't come out well. I have a second chance to get their pictures tomorrow. I can't wait to see PT again in Philly! I purchased The Incident Art Print (lithograph) which is limited to 500 numbered copies Worldwide.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupine...oduct/324/1760/

It is really beautiful, I love artwork.

Nice! I'd do the same, but I sprung for the deluxe edition of The Incident. It came with the book of artwork by Hajo Mueller and the hard bound book of photography by Lasse Hoile. It was a really good investment.