Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 15 2009, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 15 2009, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 15 2009, 03:35 PM)
Just finished this monster!  What a great album, but it will take a couple of more listens to fully absorb it. 

Stylistically this is more of a culmination of all PT eras.. 

Parts of the album definatly have the ambient sound of something like "The Sky Moves Sideways" or "Signify, and Parts of the album are mellow and acoustic like "Lightbulb Sun", but there is definatly some hard guitar driven stuff that we've come to love like stuff off of "Deadwing".......  This album has a bit of everything they've done in the past, while making it sound new, fresh, and totally Epic.

After one listen the highlights for me are.

- The Blind House
- Drawing The Line
- Your Unpleasant Family
- Time Flies (The long version is really great, and hearing what they cut out for the edit is also very cool)
- Octane Twisted
- I Drive The Hearse (This might be my favorite from the album... but I need to listen to it again before I pick favorites)
- Black Dahlia
- Remember Me Lover

This album is not as cohesive as FOABP, but it is a beast in an of itself...  It is great.

Would you say the 55-minute main song is cohesive by itself?

Yeah, I would..

From what I understand, those four smaller tracks could have fit on the same CD as the 55-minute main track, but since they don't fit the theme of the main track, they put them on a separate disc. They could have sold those four tracks at a later time as an EP like they've done in the past, but decided to include them with this release. They're like bonus tracks, so it would make sense that they don't make a cohesive package when played along with the long one.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 15 2009, 04:02 AM)
Why are we PT newbies so excited about this band? Is it the great musicianship? The prog aspect (long songs, odd-time signatures)? The "realness" of the music, despite the technical prowess? The unbelievably good drummer and his kickass fills -- the guy many say is the best drummer in rock right now? The insane instrumental breaks in the middle of songs? The thoughtful lyrics?

Any of that sound familiar? Like, maybe we had those same reactions to another band that we started getting into 20-30 years ago? wink.gif

All these things remind me more of Pink Floyd!

This band in infinitly greater than the sum of its parts! That and conceptual genius, and very talented players who prefer to write complex and catchy songs as opposed to empty virtuosity*.

*nothing wrong with that tongue.gif

the tour starts tonight!

Tue 09/15/09 Seattle, WA Moore Theatre

Wed 09/16/09 Portland, OR Roseland Theater

Fri 09/18/09 San Francisco, CA Warfield Theatre

Sat 09/19/09 Los Angeles, CA Club Nokia

Mon 09/21/09 Cleveland, OH House Of Blues

Tue 09/22/09 Chicago, IL Vic Theatre

Thu 09/24/09 New York, NY Terminal 5

Fri 09/25/09 Baltimore, MD Rams Head Live!

Fri 09/25/09 New York, NY Terminal 5

Sat 09/26/09 Philadelphia, PA Electric Factory

Sun 09/27/09 Boston, MA House Of Blues

Tue 09/29/09 Montreal, QC Metropolis

Wed 09/30/09 Toronto, ON Queen Elizabeth Theatre

Thu 10/08/09 Leeds, United Kingdom O2 Academy Leeds

Fri 10/09/09 London, United Kingdom HMV Hammersmith Apollo

Sat 10/10/09 Bristol, United Kingdom Colston Hall

Mon 10/12/09 Amsterdam, Netherlands Heineken Music Hall

Tue 10/13/09 Paris, France Olympia

Wed 10/14/09 Brussels, Belgium Ancienne Belgique

Thu 10/15/09 Hannover, Germany Capitol Hannover

Sat 10/17/09 Bremen, Germany Aladin

Sun 10/18/09 Copenhagen, Denmark VEGA House Of Music

Mon 10/19/09 Stockholm, Sweden Arenan

Wed 10/21/09 Helsinki, Finland Helsinki Ice Arena

Fri 10/23/09 Oslo, Norway Sentrum Scene

Sat 10/24/09 Lund, Sweden Mejeriet

Sun 10/25/09 Hamburg, Germany Docks Konzerte Disco

Mon 10/26/09 Berlin, Germany Huxleys Neue Welt

Wed 10/28/09 Wroclaw, Poland Hala Orbita

Thu 10/29/09 Leipzig, Germany Haus Auensee

Fri 10/30/09 Nuremberg, Germany Loewensaal

Sat 10/31/09 Vienna, Austria Gasometer

Sun 11/01/09 Budapest, Hungary Petofi Hall

Tue 11/03/09 Ljubljana, Slovenia Media Park

Wed 11/04/09 Milan, Italy Alcatraz

Thu 11/05/09 Rome, Italy Atlantico

Fri 11/06/09 Bologna, Italy Estragon

Sat 11/07/09 Padova, Italy Teatro Tenda

Fri 11/20/09 Lisbon, Portugal Incrivel Almadense

Sat 11/21/09 Porto, Portugal Teatro Sa Da Bandeira

Sun 11/22/09 Madrid, Spain La Riviera

Mon 11/23/09 Barcelona, Spain Palau Sant Jordi

Wed 11/25/09 Wettingen, Switzerland Tagerhard

Fri 11/27/09 Stuttgart, Germany Arena Mercedes-Benz Museum

Sat 11/28/09 Munich, Germany Tonhalle

Tue 12/01/09 Neu-Isenburg, Germany Hugenottenhalle

Wed 12/02/09 Cologne, Germany Palladium

Sun 12/06/09 Wolverhampton, United Kingdom Wolverhampton Civic Hall

Tue 12/08/09 Newcastle, United Kingdom O2 Academy Newcastle

Thu 12/10/09 Manchester, United Kingdom Manchester Academy

still liking bonnie the cat and octane twisted for the rocking tunes. time flies is growing on me as well.

I agree with The Owl about I drive the hearse being great. this tune did not stick out the first listen but its got a killer chorus, sweet and catchy. still too early to call but could this song be the "lazarus" of this disc?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 15 2009, 04:55 PM)
From what I understand, those four smaller tracks could have fit on the same CD as the 55-minute main track, but since they don't fit the theme of the main track, they put them on a separate disc. They could have sold those four tracks at a later time as an EP like they've done in the past, but decided to include them with this release. They're like bonus tracks, so it would make sense that they don't make a cohesive package when played along with the long one.

Possibly to give it the fell of a two-sided album?

The extended version of time flies is a total nod to Pink Floyd...Animals in particular I think.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 15 2009, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 15 2009, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 15 2009, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 15 2009, 03:35 PM)
Just finished this monster!  What a great album, but it will take a couple of more listens to fully absorb it. 

Stylistically this is more of a culmination of all PT eras.. 

Parts of the album definatly have the ambient sound of something like "The Sky Moves Sideways" or "Signify, and Parts of the album are mellow and acoustic like "Lightbulb Sun", but there is definatly some hard guitar driven stuff that we've come to love like stuff off of "Deadwing".......  This album has a bit of everything they've done in the past, while making it sound new, fresh, and totally Epic.

After one listen the highlights for me are.

- The Blind House
- Drawing The Line
- Your Unpleasant Family
- Time Flies (The long version is really great, and hearing what they cut out for the edit is also very cool)
- Octane Twisted
- I Drive The Hearse (This might be my favorite from the album... but I need to listen to it again before I pick favorites)
- Black Dahlia
- Remember Me Lover

This album is not as cohesive as FOABP, but it is a beast in an of itself...  It is great.

Would you say the 55-minute main song is cohesive by itself?

Yeah, I would..

I guess if you consider the rest as bonus tracks then yes..

The whole "Incident" epic was cohesive, but FOABP still felt even more so..... but I do have to state that I have given this only 1 listen, and I was reading along with the lyrics..... and I still need a few more listens to absorb this beast from all angles.

***************Spoilers******************

setlist below from the seattle gig last night. per a member of the porcupine tree forum. 1022.gif 1022.gif

Setlist:

The Incident

break

The Start of Something Beautiful

The Sound of Muzak

Lazarus

Russia On Ice

The middle section of Anesthetize

Normal

Bonnie the Cat

Way Out of Here

enc: Mother and Child Divided

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 16 2009, 08:22 AM)

setlist below from the seattle gig last night. per a member of the porcupine tree forum. 1022.gif 1022.gif

Setlist:

The Incident

break

The Sound of Muzak
Lazarus
Russia On Ice
Normal
Bonnie the Cat
Way Out of Here

Oh.

My.

God.

It doesn't get better than that. I was wondering if they would do all of The Incident. That's cool. And, Russia on Ice, not to mention Bonnie the Cat. They had better come down my way next year or I'll never get over it. sad.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 16 2009, 09:22 AM)

Setlist:

The Incident

break

The Sound of Muzak
Lazarus
Russia On Ice
Normal
Bonnie the Cat
Way Out of Here

I only know one song on that list. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 16 2009, 11:23 AM)
I only know one song on that list. laugh.gif

You know two -- "Muzak," and the middle section of "Anesthetize." And if you've listened to all of FoaBP you'll know track 5, "Way Out Of Here." Go to PT's site and find the live video for that song. It's better than the studio version, and Gavin just kills on it.

http://www.porcupinetree.com/index.cfm

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 16 2009, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 16 2009, 11:23 AM)
I only know one song on that list.  laugh.gif

You know two -- "Muzak," and the middle section of "Anesthetize." And if you've listened to all of FoaBP you'll know track 5, "Way Out Of Here." Go to PT's site and find the live video for that song. It's better than the studio version, and Gavin just kills on it.

http://www.porcupinetree.com/index.cfm

Oh yeah what was I thinking. I've been listening to Anesthetize alot - I don't know why that escaped me.

I really don't know Way Out Of Here that well at all. I'd have to play it to recognize it. I can't recall it in my head.

**which I just did as I'm typing** and AH!! Yeah I do know this one.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Sep 16 2009, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 16 2009, 11:45 AM)
Bonnie the Cat has the Deadwing talking voice.

i think the voice in Deadwing was done by Mikeal Akerfeldt from Opeth, and Bonnie The Cat is just Steven Wilson......

but its the same idea

Seriously? I didn't know that. Huh.

I like the voice in "Bonnie the Cat" better, anyway. Such a great song.

I just finished the first run through of The Incident. I finally got my pre-order today in the mail...maybe Best Buy next time, lost two days, plus spaced out the download. Anyway, the album is an awful lot to digest in just one listen. There were a few catchy riffs right off the bat and lots of cool jamming. I look forward to my next listen later tonite at louder volume in my house. Has the potential for me to really love it...I'll just let it happen if it does. This album is from outer space 1022.gif . I look forward to the next jam session. See you in Cleveland, it will be my first PT show! Oh yeah, thanks to the old Rush Radio that played other proggy stuff and TRF for turning me on to the TREE cool10.gif !!!! 2.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 16 2009, 07:22 AM)

Setlist:

The Incident

break

The Sound of Muzak
Lazarus
Russia On Ice
Normal
Bonnie the Cat
Way Out of Here

Take out Way Out of Here and add something from Stupid Dream (I'd like Even Less or A Slave Called Shiver and Pure Narcotic or something like that) and you've got a deal!