What do You Think About Sarcasm

snowdogged

What Do You Think About Sarcasm in the Forum  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think About Sarcasm in the Forum

• Love Sarcasm.
    • Don't mind sarcasm as long as it is in the spirit having fun.
    • Hate sarcasm.
    • Don't care

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Mar 21 2008, 01:28 PM)
Sarcasm is wonderful when used in any way possible. On this forum it's not too good, but there we go.

It's good and funny when used properly, and if the person using it has established that they're not an asshole. It's tough when someone joins the board, and right off the bat they lay on the heavy sarcasm, and it's stated in such a way that it's hard to tell if they're being good-naturedly sarcastic or trying to piss people off. It's also hard to tell because they haven't taken the time to let people get to know them and establish that they're here to contribute in a civil manner.

Some join here and misuse sarcasm, but have good intentions. After some missteps, they adjust and blend in nicely. Some join, misuse it on purpose to get a rise out of people and show us how "intellectually superior" they are, but they're only showing us what an asshole they are. We've seen our share of newbies from the latter group lately, haven't we?

Sarcasm is an art, especially in written form. There are people here who have yet to master it (yet they think they have), and shouldn't be using it without smiley backup. Sarcasm is a dangerous tool, and shouldn't be used without proper training! biggrin.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 21 2008, 02:23 PM)
Sarcasm is wonderful when used in any way possible. On this forum it's not too good, but there we go.

It's good and funny if the person using it has established that they're not an asshole. It's tough when someone joins the board, and right off the bat they lay on the heavy sarcasm, and it's stated in such a way that it's hard to tell if they're being good-naturedly sarcastic or trying to piss people off. It's also hard to tell because they haven't taken the time to let people get to know them and establish that they're here to contribute in a civil manner.

Some join here and misuse sarcasm, but have good intentions. After some missteps, they adjust and blend in nicely. Some join, misuse it on purpose to get a rise out of people and show us how "intellectually superior" they are, but they're only showing us what an asshole they are. We've seen our share of newbies from the latter group lately, haven't we?

Sarcasm is an art, especially in written form. There are people here who have yet to master it (yet they think they have), and shouldn't be using it without smiley backup. Sarcasm is a dangerous tool, and shouldn't be used without proper training! biggrin.gif

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 21 2008, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 21 2008, 02:23 PM)

It's good and funny if the person using it has established that they're not an asshole. It's tough when someone joins the board, and right off the bat they lay on the heavy sarcasm, and it's stated in such a way that it's hard to tell if they're being good-naturedly sarcastic or trying to piss people off. It's also hard to tell because they haven't taken the time to let people get to know them and establish that they're here to contribute in a civil manner.

ph34r.gif

You're not in the latter group, you idiot! smash.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 21 2008, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Mar 21 2008, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 21 2008, 06:23 PM)
show us how "intellectually superior" you are

Is that a dare?

It's a double-dog dare! yes.gif

I see.

Well, well.....

Sarcasm, eh?

I'm SO glad that it has now been officially sanctioned by our esteemed community here. We wouldn't want folk to get the wrong impression that it was the lowest form of wit now, would we?

Sarcasm is great. Real life is soo f**king mundane and serious that if we do not have silliness and sarcasm then life would certainly suck. That is why farts and toilet humor make the world a better place biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Mar 21 2008, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 21 2008, 05:13 AM)
I HATE SARCASM!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Please tell me that wasn't your attempt at sarcasm, because that was a poor attempt if it was one.

And I'm actually being truthful here, not 'playing' in the spirit of the thread.

well that was some great sarcasm by you

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 21 2008, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Mar 21 2008, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 21 2008, 05:13 AM)
I HATE SARCASM!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Please tell me that wasn't your attempt at sarcasm, because that was a poor attempt if it was one.

And I'm actually being truthful here, not 'playing' in the spirit of the thread.

well that was some great sarcasm by you

I don't think you've quite got the hang of this sarcasm lark, mate wink.gif

Oh, I love sarcasm. So does my mum. biggrin.gif Well we all do, really. Although my nan used to tell Mum that sarcasm loses you friends... eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 21 2008, 01:23 PM)

Can't I do all those things? Except that blend in thing. Conformity is bad. I think Sesame Street taught me that.

Archived