What do You Think About Sarcasm

snowdogged

What Do You Think About Sarcasm in the Forum  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think About Sarcasm in the Forum

• Love Sarcasm.
    • Don't mind sarcasm as long as it is in the spirit having fun.
    • Hate sarcasm.
    • Don't care

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 21 2008, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Mar 21 2008, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 21 2008, 05:13 AM)
I HATE SARCASM!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Please tell me that wasn't your attempt at sarcasm, because that was a poor attempt if it was one.

And I'm actually being truthful here, not 'playing' in the spirit of the thread.

well that was some great sarcasm by you

Yeah, shame it wasn't actually sarcasm in the slightest.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Mar 22 2008, 08:31 AM)
I HATE SARCASM!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Please tell me that wasn't your attempt at sarcasm, because that was a poor attempt if it was one.

And I'm actually being truthful here, not 'playing' in the spirit of the thread.

This conversation is really interesting.

I'm not reading through all 3 pages of this thread, I'm just here to say what I have to say about sarcasm.

I don't think the issue is sarcasm on an internet forum. It's there and that's fine. I'm a very sarcastic person, and I use sarcasm all the time. I have no issue with its existence.

However, I think the issue here is the USE of sarcasm as a response to a thread that belittles the meaning of the thread and cuts at its credibility and/or added value. That bothers the shit out of me. It doesn't matter that it's done in fun. It's not funny. I hate it when it's done on a thread that I create, and I hate it FOR people when I see it done to threads that they create. The VT interviews thread is a classic example of what I hate to see, and it usually evokes the desire to post a very nasty response if I catch it early enough.

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 22 2008, 02:34 PM)
I'm not reading through all 3 pages of this thread, I'm just here to say what I have to say about sarcasm.

I don't think the issue is sarcasm on an internet forum. It's there and that's fine. I'm a very sarcastic person, and I use sarcasm all the time. I have no issue with its existence.

However, I think the issue here is the USE of sarcasm as a response to a thread that belittles the meaning of the thread and cuts at its credibility and/or added value. That bothers the shit out of me. It doesn't matter that it's done in fun. It's not funny. I hate it when it's done on a thread that I create, and I hate it FOR people when I see it done to threads that they create. The VT interviews thread is a classic example of what I hate to see, and it usually evokes the desire to post a very nasty response if I catch it early enough.

Thanks, I needed to hear that. Even still, I'm not going to ever post anymore because I felt so jumped on today. All I was trying to do was help, with the initial posting. Vapor Trails is my 2nd favorite Rush CD. I used to love this forum, up until today. I've shown nothing but love to every post I replied to, always being respectful to someone's thoughts (except for the continued "sarcasm" posts). I've never seen anything so positive turn so ugly so quickly. I'm sorry for any irritation I've caused anyone.

I want to thank everyone who's made me laugh, everyone who's posted informative threads, everyone who's pointed to the cool Rush videos on YouTube, and thanks again Ghostgirl for posting all the lyrics.

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 21 2008, 08:08 PM)
Maybe sarcasm is better used with people that have developed comfort levels with each other.

this statement pretty much nails it. sarcasm between friends is a laugh and sarcasm between people that don't know each other well leads to a fight.

In "A Separate Peace" by John Knowles he refers to sarcasm this way; "It was long after that I recognized sarcasm as the protest of people who are weak."

I don't necessarily agree with that and it has been interpreted in a bunch of different ways. I'm very sarcastic with people I know and it usually elicits the hoped for response of laughter especially if combined with some hyberbole. Once you have read enough posts by a member here it is usually pretty easy to sense the sarcasm.

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 22 2008, 09:11 PM)
thanks for the kind words.

trink39.gif

lol... this is the last post.

I think it's a bit of a shame that you feel the need to stop posting.

if I was one of the ones that caused you offense, then i apologise as none was intended.

I'm a Scot you see, and sarcasm and merciless baiting is the norm amongst us. Sometimes I forget that others don't see it that way.

Anyway, hope you change your mind. it would be sad if you were to not participate any more because of this.

take time to get to know us. We don't bite! (well, not too hard anyway laugh.gif )

QUOTE (Fridge @ Mar 22 2008, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Mar 22 2008, 09:11 PM)
thanks for the kind words.

trink39.gif

lol... this is the last post.

I think it's a bit of a shame that you feel the need to stop posting.

if I was one of the ones that caused you offense, then i apologise as none was intended.

I'm a Scot you see, and sarcasm and merciless baiting is the norm amongst us. Sometimes I forget that others don't see it that way.

Anyway, hope you change your mind. it would be sad if you were to not participate any more because of this.

take time to get to know us. We don't bite! (well, not too hard anyway laugh.gif )

I thought she meant last post in this thread or on this subject. I hope so. I don't like seeing noobs that don't actually start any trouble (we had our share for a while) leave for something like this.

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 22 2008, 03:34 PM)

Actually, it is the total opposite. It bothered me that she got upset and did not forgive me and I felt bad. So I wanted to see if other people on the board felt the same way about sarcasm. If this poll showed that most people were bothered by sarcasm then I would have cut my sarcasm down a good 80% on this forum. I did not start this thread with malicious intentions. If you really think that I am that cruel then I will just never post in this forum again since you are a moderator and I do not want to upset you. I not gonna hang around where I'm not welcome.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 22 2008, 05:53 PM)

I don't think the issue is sarcasm on an internet forum.  It's there and that's fine.  I'm a very sarcastic person, and I use sarcasm all the time.  I have no issue with its existence.

However, I think the issue here is the USE of sarcasm as a response to a thread that belittles the meaning of the thread and cuts at its credibility and/or added value.  That bothers the shit out of me.  It doesn't matter that it's done in fun.  It's not funny.  I hate it when it's done on a thread that I create, and I hate it FOR people when I see it done to threads that they create.  The VT interviews thread is a classic example of what I hate to see, and it usually evokes the desire to post a very nasty response if I catch it early enough.

Actually, it is the total opposite. It bothered me that she got upset and did not forgive me and I felt bad. So I wanted to see if other people on the board felt the same way about sarcasm. If this poll showed that most people were bothered by sarcasm then I would have cut my sarcasm down a good 80% on this forum. I did not start this thread with malicious intentions. If you really think that I am that cruel then I will just never post in this forum again since you are a moderator and I do not want to upset you. I not gonna hang around where I'm not welcome.

I think youre all full of shit.

laugh.gif

I don't think the issue is sarcasm on an internet forum.  It's there and that's fine.  I'm a very sarcastic person, and I use sarcasm all the time.  I have no issue with its existence.

However, I think the issue here is the USE of sarcasm as a response to a thread that belittles the meaning of the thread and cuts at its credibility and/or added value.  That bothers the shit out of me.  It doesn't matter that it's done in fun.  It's not funny.  I hate it when it's done on a thread that I create, and I hate it FOR people when I see it done to threads that they create.  The VT interviews thread is a classic example of what I hate to see, and it usually evokes the desire to post a very nasty response if I catch it early enough.

Show me where I said any of those things, and I'll play along. Until then, knock it off. I have no problem with you being here. I simply didn't find what you did funny. Stop making mountains...

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 22 2008, 06:01 PM)

Show me where I said any of those things, and I'll play along. Until then, knock it off. I have no problem with you being here. I simply didn't find what you did funny. Stop making mountains...

Have you checked your voice mail today?

smile.gif

QUOTE (SlackABob @ Mar 22 2008, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 22 2008, 06:01 PM)

Have you checked your voice mail today?

smile.gif

I did not. I was about to send you a PM to call me at the house. Owlswing took the girls to go see the Jonas Brothers laugh.gif and she has both cell phones so everyone has a form of communication if they get split up.

Anyway. Call me at the house. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Mar 22 2008, 07:31 AM)
I HATE SARCASM!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

I wasn't being serious b_sigh.gif

However, I think the issue here is the USE of sarcasm as a response to a thread that belittles the meaning of the thread and cuts at its credibility and/or added value.

After reading your post again I realized that I misunderstood this line from it. I thought that you were saying that I created this thread with malicious intentions just to hurt someone. And you are right, my response to that thread was not funny but sometimes I think something is funny at the time and I don't realize it's not until after. I would never post or say anything that was funny if I held myself back all time. (And I do think that I come up with funny stuff quite often.) I just really want this whole thing to go away. It was over for me until I just read some of the recent posts and hopefully it is over again. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Love Sarcasm but I do agree it's hard to make it come across in a Forum. I always try to use the sarcasm smilie or another smilie to indicate it. sarcasm.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 22 2008, 02:19 PM)
However, I think the issue here is the USE of sarcasm as a response to a thread that belittles the meaning of the thread and cuts at its credibility and/or added value.

After reading your post again I realized that I misunderstood this line from it. I thought that you were saying that I created this thread with malicious intentions just to hurt someone. And you are right, my response to that thread was not funny but sometimes I think something is funny at the time and I don't realize it's not until after. I would never post or say anything that was funny if I held myself back all time. (And I do think that I come up with funny stuff quite often.) I just really want this whole thing to go away. It was over for me until I just read some of the recent posts and hopefully it is over again. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I just have to butt in here and say that i know were you are coming from, sarcasm is great, we just have to watch ourselves, especially on internet forums. we all make mistakes and we need to forgive one another.

Quote: Choose/the/light

I just have to butt in here and say that i know were you are coming from, sarcasm is great, we just have to watch ourselves, especially on internet forums. we all make mistakes and we need to forgive one another.

goodpost.gif

Archived