John Adams

Tick

Finally some really great television ! I watched the first two episodes last night and they were awesome. I love history and i live for programming like this. I never really realized the impact John Adams had on the forming of America. You think of the revolutionary war as a slam dunk no brainer, that everyone was totally patriotic and wanted independence but that was not the case at all. Fortunately great men such as Adams, Washington and Jefferson stepped up and took charge. Its an eye opening look at the turbulance that led to the forming of a nation. I look forward to episode 3. Im not sure exactly how many hours this runs but it will make Sunday night a good tv night for a little while.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 17 2008, 07:26 AM)
I look forward to episode 3. Im not sure exactly how many hours this runs but it will make Sunday night a good tv night for a little while.

It's a 7-part miniseries. Parts 1&2 aired last night.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 17 2008, 08:26 AM)
Finally some really great television ! I watched the first two episodes last night and they were awesome. I love history and i live for programming like this. I never really realized the impact John Adams had on the forming of America. You think of the revolutionary war as a slam dunk no brainer, that everyone was totally patriotic and wanted independence but that was not the case at all. Fortunately great men such as Adams, Washington and Jefferson stepped up and took charge. Its an eye opening look at the turbulance that led to the forming of a nation. I look forward to episode 3. Im not sure exactly how many hours this runs but it will make Sunday night a good tv night for a little while.

Crap, I missed it! Dammit, what's wrong with me?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 17 2008, 04:53 PM)

Hmm ? Im not sure, ya might want to ask Necro. yes.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (the invisible man @ Mar 17 2008, 07:40 PM)

rofl3.gif

Good idea! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 17 2008, 07:51 PM)

rofl3.gif

Good idea! laugh.gif

I just got a book out on JA, and I will be watching this show as soon as I get time. Im amazed how much Pig Vomit looks like JA for real!

Can you catch them "on demand" on your cable service?

QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 17 2008, 08:24 PM)

I'm counting on doing that - I have no doubt its included in On Demand.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 17 2008, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 17 2008, 08:24 PM)

I'm counting on doing that - I have no doubt its included in On Demand.

yes.gif All parts of series can be seen on HBO On demand.

This is the most accurate portrayal of the American revolution era i have witnessed. I remember Mel Gibson saying before release of The Patriot that there hasen't been anything done before that got it right.

Although it was entertaining and based on some core facts The Patriot didn't exactly get it right either, But it was a fun movie to watch.

What i especially like about the John Adams series is it shows how hard living back then was. The set designs are wonderful..( dirty and muddy.)

This is on Demand up here in Ontario on TMN on Demand. I am going to wait until the 7th episode comes out to start watching this. I know I am going to completely love this mini-series and I don't wanna wait impatiently week by week for my "fix".

I can hold off till they are all on demand, as long as I don't start watching any episodes before the last one comes to On Demand, I'll be fine.

This is superior television.

But couple things can't say really a complaint, the progression of time happens so quickly in each episode. For instance president Adams moves to the unfinshed whitehouse, a war with France is a possibility and then diminished, George Washington dies, Thomas Jefferson becomes the third president of the United States, former president John Adams departs the unfinished white house. All in one episode! Just wish they could have extended a few more episodes to focus a little more on these and other events. But this is John Adams story so it's understandable. Also they talk extremely low i have to turn my tv volume to the max. smile.gif

1 more episode left. I have now watched all of them and really like this series. It has renewed my interest in founding fathers and find myself reading all about them. I would love to see a really good series or movie made on George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. They were fascinating people.

I didn't realize how much I disliked Alexander Hamilton until I watched this. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Apr 14 2008, 10:49 PM)
1 more episode left. I have now watched all of them and really like this series. It has renewed my interest in founding fathers and find myself reading all about them. I would love to see a really good series or movie made on George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. They were fascinating people.

I didn't realize how much I disliked Alexander Hamilton until I watched this. laugh.gif

I would like to see HBO adapt series based on David McCullough other book that deals with the revolution "1776" using the same great cast of characters(especially David Morse as George Washington again)

I watched the final episode last night. WTF? Everyone dies ?!?!

J/k, it was actually really good. I had no idea that John Adams and Jefferson both died within hours of each other AND on the 50th anniversary of the signing of the declaration. Very interesting. Great series - slow in some parts, but overall worth a watch.

Edited by Cowtothesky

I haven't finished watching the series (i've been studying my ap us history test) however it is super accurate historically. They portayed the boston massacre very well. It is interesting seeing the different beliefs of the colonists of the time. Actually, my favorite delegate of the continental congress happens to be john dickinson. He is not well enough recognized in history because he didnt support the war. I think it was very noble of him however to work for peace even in this country's desperate hour. he also represented pennsylvania of the time, as a whole, very well. i did a report on him in eighth grade. the arguments of the tories were actually very well thought out and logical. just as much so as those of the whigs. i think to honestly say, that if i lived in that time i would probably be a tory supporter.

I bought the DVD of John Adams last week, and I have been watching an episode or two every night. This was $60 well spent. Even my wife has gotten into it. Very real portrayals of life in the 18th century, and the acting is fantastic. I highly recommend any history buff to pick this one up. You won't be disappointed! 1022.gif

And like someone else stated earlier in the thread...it would be really cool if they did separate mini series on Washington and Jefferson. It would be so cool to see that period of our history from three different perspectives!

Edited by ILSnwdog

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 17 2008, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 17 2008, 07:51 PM)

rofl3.gif

Good idea! laugh.gif

I just got a book out on JA, and I will be watching this show as soon as I get time. Im amazed how much Pig Vomit looks like JA for real!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Watch out because you are violating the sanctity of his marriage.