Jiggly movies!

workingcinderellaman

I just saw 'The Kingdom'. I thought the movie was alright but the cinematography sucked big time. All the jiggling of the camera was nauseating. I would like to send Peter Berg a tripod.

The Bourne series were done this way as well. I know it's supposed to be artistic but it makes me sick and IMO ruins the movie.

Does anyone else feel that way?

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Dec 17 2007, 12:06 PM)
I just saw 'The Kingdom'. I thought the movie was alright but the cinematography sucked big time. All the jiggling of the camera was nauseating. I would like to send Peter Berg a tripod. 
The Bourne series were done this way as well. I know it's supposed to be artistic but it makes me sick and IMO ruins the movie.

Does anyone else feel that way?

Yeah, it's pretty damned distracting. All these actors and stuntmen work hard and painstakingly block out the scenes and then the asshat director has the cameraman jump up and down so you can't make heads or tails of what's going on.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

I don't think it's supposed to be artistic, I think it's more of an mtv quick cuts, don't let the viewer focus on any one thing for too long or his/her attention span will run out.

I liked the Bourne movies but I have to say they felt like watching bad television.

QUOTE (robertjames1971 @ Dec 17 2007, 06:05 PM)
I don't think it's supposed to be artistic, I think it's more of an mtv quick cuts, don't let the viewer focus on any one thing for too long or his/her attention span will run out.

I liked the Bourne movies but I have to say they felt like watching bad television.

QUOTE (goose @ Dec 17 2007, 10:30 PM)
I hate the technique. To me it seems like an attempt to mask a lack of skill with the camera.

It's plain irritating.

That was exactly what I was thinking during The Kingdom. The car chase could have been just sound effects and jiggle and you could have filmed two pigs having sex and no one would have known any different. They certainly didn't have to ruin any cars to film it.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Dec 17 2007, 08:09 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 17 2007, 04:08 PM)
The worst was Blair Witch Project  wacko.gif

Horrible, horrible movie wacko.gif

Agreed; it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

But the worst "jiggle" movie was Woody Allen's "Husbands and Wives." It was meant to give you the sense that an amateur with a home movie camera was filming it. It gives you vertigo, motion sickness, and nausea. Watch it with a bottle of dramamine.

The only movie I saw in which I thought it was appropriate was Saving Private Ryan. It was only used during the battle scenes. It did give the scenes a much more immediate, intimate and personal feel.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Dec 19 2007, 12:44 AM)
The only movie I saw in which I thought it was appropriate was Saving Private Ryan. It was only used during the battle scenes. It did give the scenes a much more immediate, intimate and personal feel.

Yeah it worked well. I watched most of the movie from behind the chair in front of me in the theater. I couldn't get past feeling the need to duck repeatedly.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 17 2007, 12:55 PM)
Im not real fond of this. And while its supposed to make things "realistic" - it makes me too aware of the camera. Feh.

I have never had that sensation in real life so I'm not sure how realistic it actually is.