Where's the bass?

DallasRUSHian

Well, I like the sound in them, especially Presto. Maybe a little more bottom end, just as long as you turn up the volume a little, I can barely hear the bass solo in Show Don't Tell!

I am particularly fond of how both of those albums sound. It has a bit of spongyness to the bass and low-end, which I understand leaves many unhappy. But I'm fine with it.

Both have been remastered, btw. And perhaps those with mega-thousand dollar systems may be able to hear a difference in them, but I cannot.

Wasn't this something to do with the tonal range of Wal basses? I saw an interview with Geddy recently saying he wanted to get back to the deeper growl of the Rickie and Fender sounder rather than the more prominent top end of the Wal.

He wasn't slagging the Wal, though, cos he felt that fitted well with the kind of songs on the albums on which they were used (PW - RtB-ish?)

I have the remastered Presto and it is noticeably better, but you can only fix so much without retracking the entire album song by song. It was mostly due to the Wal basses that Geddy was using. It was ultimately why he switched back to his Fender Jazz for Counterparts. Presto was bad enough, then he got completely fed up after Roll The Bones.

I mentioned this on another thread earlier today. I have to say I think Rupert Hine ruined these albums.

The songs on both albums sound horribly thin, Hine is very much a pop producer as his resume shows (includes Howard Jones, Thompson Twins and Chris DeBurgh).

Not just the lack of bottom on Geddy's bass, the guitar and drums both sound weedy and lifeless as well. Peter Collins would have done a far better job with it, but I guess it was just the place they were at in the earlly nineties, looking to learn from new producers and so on.

I know the boys all look back especially at Presto and think the album didn't live up to its potential. RTB isn't quite as bad, and generally the material is stronger but still needed a 'ballsier' sound.

Listen to live versions to any of the songs from these 2 albums and they come alive.

Geddy makes mention of this fact in the book "Contents Under Pressure". While talking about picking songs for the R30 (I think) tour and going back and listening to those older albums for songs to choose from, he makes a comment like "Wow, some of those albums were really thin sounding" or something like that. I think the common factor was the Wal bass Geddy was using at the time. After that he went back to the Fender and all was right with the world again.

the on thing different with the Remasters is the over all level is higher.

Also a friend gave me a vinyl 2112. On Something for Nothing the chorus geddy's voice distorts and on the cd verisons it doesnt.

I don't mind the bass sound for those albums but I can see why it may not work for some Rush fans. I don't think Hine ruined them, necessarily, it was just the space the boys were in at the time. They were redefining themselves after the "synth-era" and I remember Presto sounding very experimental when I first heard it.

QUOTE (Fat Organ @ Nov 20 2007, 02:54 PM)
I didnt realize how thin Presto and RTB sounded until Counterparts was released. The difference in production was pretty drastic.

Yeah that's something I've noticed too. Counterparts is one of my favorite albums but I rarely ever find myself listening to Presto or RTB. They just don't have that well-balanced production I enjoy; basically, the sound lacks balls. That's just me, though.

QUOTE (ofsalesmen @ Nov 20 2007, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Fat Organ @ Nov 20 2007, 02:54 PM)
I didnt realize how thin Presto and RTB sounded until Counterparts was released. The difference in production was pretty drastic.

Yeah that's something I've noticed too. Counterparts is one of my favorite albums but I rarely ever find myself listening to Presto or RTB. They just don't have that well-balanced production I enjoy; basically, the sound lacks balls. That's just me, though.

That's because they started working with Peter Collins again. I guess they weren't willing to give Rupert Hine a third chance. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Presto's production has always bugged me, especially listening with headphones. I think I would like the album a lot more if it sounded better. Roll the Bones doesn't sound great either, but it's definitely better. I just don't like the songs as much.

Archived