Hemispheres Live with a slight change

ReflectedLight

I think we know that Geddy's voice couldn't handle Hemispheres if they were to play at least the prelude night in and night out, but here's an idea I had.

I might be a little off my rocker, but what about the boys playing Hemispheres, and than using a guy or woman with a great voice to sing and hit those high notes Geddy can't hit anymore.

Whatta ya think?

I disagree that they should bring in a 4th member. At the same time, I disagree that they should play it live. It would either be tuned down 2 octaves or it would be painful to listen to. Here's my reason: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RL7MaPpNrV0 That was 13 years ago, and he wasn't quite hitting the notes....at all. I have major respect for Geddy, but he should stay within his current vocal range, not that of 1978.

Yes indeed you did Rerushed. They often wrote songs back then without too much regard for poor Geddy's vocal range, so quite often he had a bit of a stretch to reach some of those peaks. Lets face it he did a great job back then, because they are damn high some of those notes!

Here's an idea:

Right when he would normally start singing the first words, transition into another song instead. That would make an awesome transition, especially if the second song is great.

Look at the Live in Auburn Hills' gig on you tube when they played it!

I think he can still do it like that!

I will bet money he can still do it like on the CP tour!

Well, I think his singing is better now than on the Counterparts tour.

And on the Toronto Rocks gig when Ged sang the really high part in Freewill, it kinda made me cringe a bit. But When I saw them in October this year, He sang everything perfect!

I think they can pull off Hemispheres cool.gif

Every few weeks or so it seems someone has an idea for the band, i.e. tour with and orchestra, ad a fourth member, and so on. The overwhelming consensus is always no.gif !!! Which is as it should be.

2.gif is Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart. No more, no less. And for those clamouring for an instrumental tour incase Geddy can't sing anymore...It ain't happening either, so drop it!!! comp26.gif

You can't add a 4th member, not even for a few songs, it just wouldn't be Rush. I don't know what Ged would sound like trying to sing Hemispheres but his voice has been awesome this tour,

QUOTE (krlowe @ Nov 9 2007, 01:56 PM)
Look at the Live in Auburn Hills' gig on you tube when they played it!

I think he can still do it like that!

I will bet money he can still do it like on the CP tour!

The CP tour was 13 years ago...

If they were going to put Hemispheres in, even just a small amount of it, they'd have to take other songs out, so he wasn't singing too high all the time. That would mean ditching Freewill, Natural Science, Circumstances, Limelight, A Passage To Bangkok, possibly One Little Victory.

All for the sake of some of Hemispheres? No thanks.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Nov 9 2007, 05:45 AM)
He was able to pull of Circumstances. I'm sure they could find a way to make it work if they had to.

But they did it tuned down at least one whole step. That means that what originally was a high D is now a high C and much easier to sing. They do the same thing with 2112. I'd personally rather not hear the song if they can't do it at the same pitch recorded. That goes for any band.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 9 2007, 10:42 AM)
He was able to pull of Circumstances.  I'm sure they could find a way to make it work if they had to.

But they did it tuned down at least one whole step. That means that what originally was a high D is now a high C and much easier to sing. They do the same thing with 2112. I'd personally rather not hear the song if they can't do it at the same pitch recorded. That goes for any band.

I definitely respect your opinion here, and agree that bands should perform songs in the correct keys. However, I wouldn't give up Rush playing all of 2112 on the T4E tour just because they played it in D instead of E. If they have to do it for one song each tour, then so be it. They are in their mid-50's, so I'll sacrifice one letter of the alphabet to hear gems like Circumstances or other songs that haven't been played live since I was in kindergarten! wink.gif

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 9 2007, 09:42 AM)
He was able to pull of Circumstances.  I'm sure they could find a way to make it work if they had to.

+1 on the tuning down of songs...

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Nov 9 2007, 08:45 AM)
He was able to pull of Circumstances. I'm sure they could find a way to make it work if they had to.

It was tuned WAY down.........which made it way easier to sing..........

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 9 2007, 10:42 AM)

I'm split on this. I thought "2112" sounded great in the lower key, with the exception of "Grand Finale"...for me that part didn't sound right tuned down.

"Circumstances" sounded fine tuned down, and given the option of playing it in a lower key or not playing it at all, I'm glad they played it. But that song DOES sound better in it's original key.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 9 2007, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Nov 9 2007, 08:45 AM)

It was tuned WAY down.........which made it way easier to sing..........

What do you consider "WAY down?" As rushfanNlv said, "Circumstances" was tuned one whole step lower, same exact tuning as when they tuned down for "2112." That's not usually considered a huge jump.

Oh, and to comment on the original topic: The chances of Rush bringing in another singer for a song or two? Precisely zero.

QUOTE (rushbass @ Nov 9 2007, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Nov 9 2007, 09:42 AM)

+1 on the tuning down of songs...

I say +1 on the tuning up 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Archived