The Van Halen Thread

MakeHaste

If I could make it 1981 again I would go see Van Halen. I still listen to them on my Ipod all the time, but in 2012, Dave is completely shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDwOIDmL_Yw...layer_embedded#!

If someone can tell me different after viewing this video link, I'd love to hear otherwise.

QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 20 2012, 07:44 AM)
If I could make it 1981 again I would go see Van Halen. I still listen to them on my Ipod all the time, but in 2012, Dave is completely shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDwOIDmL_Yw...layer_embedded#!

If someone can tell me different after viewing this video link, I'd love to hear otherwise.

The new album is great IMO, but I'm.having issues with the live clips I've seen....roths microphone head set is embarrassing to see..part of the greatness of van halen was the energetic live show...and Dave and Eddie have clearly slowed down

I'm not bothered by a headset....any more than I am by the clothes he chooses to wear. Sammy used one on the 5150 tour as well, although I realize he played guitar. It frees up his hands. That's just about posturing.

To me they sound no different than in '07. Roth has NEVER sounded good live...even in '82, where when drunk he'd sing about every fourth word on a good night. I'm not making excuses either....but you go see VH live for the energy. Go watch the US Festival in '83. Now THAT is a fecking embarrassment. Band in its prime too f*cked up to know right from left on what was their biggest show to date. Only the sammy years really impressed me LIVE as far as overall playing went.

Still I had a great time in the moment of that 07 show and I doubt it'll be different now. trink39.gif

As far as bands slowing down, that's about everyone. I love RUSH to death, but you sure can't say that they play at the same tempo these days. Rush has the proficiency but plays with little eagerness or engergy compared to, say, 1981 themselves. That's my biggest complaint about Rush live albums is that they sound like you're playing a 78 RPM disc on 45. (see Limelight 30 years ago vs now). Not trying to throw Rush under the bus or compare them to VH (so don't go off on me saying VH is better than Rush live)....just that tempo suffers as bands get older, almost without exception.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 20 2012, 09:04 AM)
I'm not bothered by a headset....any more than I am by the clothes he chooses to wear.  Sammy used one on the 5150 tour as well, although I realize he played guitar.  It frees up his hands.  That's just about posturing. 

To me they sound no different than in '07.  Roth has NEVER sounded good live...even in '82, where when drunk he'd sing about every fourth word on a good night.  I'm not making excuses either....but you go see VH live for the energy.  Go watch the US Festival in '83.  Now THAT is a fecking embarrassment.  Band in its prime too f*cked up to know right from left on what was their biggest show to date.  Only the sammy years really impressed me LIVE as far as overall playing went.

Still I had a great time in the moment of that 07 show and I doubt it'll be different now.  trink39.gif

As far as bands slowing down, that's about everyone.  I love RUSH to death, but you sure can't say that they play at the same tempo these days.  Rush has the proficiency but plays with little eagerness or engergy compared to, say, 1981 themselves.  That's my biggest complaint about Rush live albums is that they sound like you're playing a 78 RPM disc on 45.  (see Limelight 30 years ago vs now).  Not trying to throw Rush under the bus or compare them to VH (so don't go off on me saying VH is better than Rush live)....just that tempo suffers as bands get older, almost without exception.

Its just hard for me to watch David Lee Roth in his current state. I remember the high flying stud that commanded the stage. Now he has these awkward goofy stage moves that are uncomfortable to watch. I would go to a show if given a ticket, for sure to judge for myself, but to fork up big bucks for them now. Nope.

Edited by Tick

Roth sounds like he always does. He doesn't follow the melody, he's flat, he falls behind...this is nothing new. I saw him in 1986 at it sounded exactly the same.

The vocals are rough, but there's so much more going on. I personally can't wait to see them live. It's not going to be technical triumph, but a damn good time will be had by all, I'm sure.

I wish they were doing more from the new album. You don't get to say that too much anymore..

1022.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 20 2012, 08:04 AM)
I'm not bothered by a headset....any more than I am by the clothes he chooses to wear. Sammy used one on the 5150 tour as well, although I realize he played guitar. It frees up his hands. That's just about posturing.

To me they sound no different than in '07. Roth has NEVER sounded good live...even in '82, where when drunk he'd sing about every fourth word on a good night. I'm not making excuses either....but you go see VH live for the energy. Go watch the US Festival in '83. Now THAT is a fecking embarrassment. Band in its prime too f*cked up to know right from left on what was their biggest show to date. Only the sammy years really impressed me LIVE as far as overall playing went.

Still I had a great time in the moment of that 07 show and I doubt it'll be different now. trink39.gif

As far as bands slowing down, that's about everyone. I love RUSH to death, but you sure can't say that they play at the same tempo these days. Rush has the proficiency but plays with little eagerness or engergy compared to, say, 1981 themselves. That's my biggest complaint about Rush live albums is that they sound like you're playing a 78 RPM disc on 45. (see Limelight 30 years ago vs now). Not trying to throw Rush under the bus or compare them to VH (so don't go off on me saying VH is better than Rush live)....just that tempo suffers as bands get older, almost without exception.

By slowing down, I meant in their stage performance. I realize Eddie had hip issues, and I don't fault them for age taking its toll, but the problem with bands like van halen, unlike Rush, is that the stage performance was just as important as the tunes....and its clear that aspect of the band isn't much there anymore.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 20 2012, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 20 2012, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 20 2012, 03:40 PM)
What would you folks select as a second single, just for shits and giggles?

"Blood and Fire"

Good call. Mine would either be that one or Big River.

I heard Big River on my local FM Classic Rock station so perhaps that is indeed the new single.

When the song was over the DJ said, "That's more like it!"

As far as the concert goes: I can't wait! I won't be standing there wondering if so and so will hit that 16th note just like in the studio. This one is all about having fun.

Saw this yesterday, great stuff. I am on board with the Lose the Headset crowd. Very weird for me to see

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 20 2012, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 20 2012, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 20 2012, 03:40 PM)
What would you folks select as a second single, just for shits and giggles?

"Blood and Fire"

Good call. Mine would either be that one or Big River.

How about You and Your Blues?

It's radio friendly, and has that classic VH sound...

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 21 2012, 09:42 AM)
Saw this yesterday, great stuff. I am on board with the Lose the Headset crowd. Very weird for me to see

He looks like some cheesy motivational speaker with the headset on. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 21 2012, 08:00 AM)
Reminds me, ironically, of Sammy Hagar on the 5150 tour. biggrin.gif

But Sammy had the excuse that he needed to play guitar. Still not a necessity, but at least understandable. Roth just looks like he's constantly trying to figure out what to do with his hands.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/double%20s%20pro/wolfgang-van-halen-celebrities-arriving-beso-DD9pE41-1.jpg

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 21 2012, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 21 2012, 08:00 AM)
Reminds me, ironically, of Sammy Hagar on the 5150 tour.  biggrin.gif

But Sammy had the excuse that he needed to play guitar. Still not a necessity, but at least understandable. Roth just looks like he's constantly trying to figure out what to do with his hands.

Sure, that's true. It's an odd look for rock, granted. I don't mind it. It doesn't make him sing any better or worse. wink.gif biggrin.gif We should all still be more put off by what he wears than the style of mic he uses. At least he doesn't still deem the chaps (and nothing underneath) or the platinum blonde wig a worthy look. Yowza!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 21 2012, 09:44 AM)
Edward looks like he's the host of Blues Clues for shit sake with the horizontal stripe thing going on. wink.gif

http://cdn.static.ovimg.com/episode/199086.jpg

It worked in 1981, not so much now laugh.gif