Available Light

JDL2112

Usually when someone asks the question about top # of songs you like and such, I sort of bounce in and out of a list with Available Light in it, but I have to say that I really dig this song a lot.

I think that because a majority of people don't like Presto on the whole because they find it wasn't produced well, or something is wrong with its sound, this song gets overlooked a lot.

IMO, Available Light is the best song on the album (yes, I like it more than The Pass), and I can usually find a place for it in a top 10 list.

We all like certain Rush songs more than others, and it seems to me that for a "Rush fan", I seem to like a lot of songs that the majority don't care for. (Another good example of this is Alien Shore and The Big Wheel)

There is something about the flow of Available Light (and The Big Wheel) that really turns my crank. There is some echoing in words, which has always made my day, which is one reason why I really like "Good News First". I don't know the name of this trick when words echo or seem to repeat, but I really dig it, and am naturally drawn to songs with this tempo. There are a few others like this that I have missed, but at the end of the day, I wrote this after listening to Available Light.

I don't speak for anyone else, but when we vote for songs on albums, it seems to me that the songs I really like the MOST on the albums, are voted off first... tongue.gif

Anyone else find Available Light really good? (Or The Big Wheel)

I did a music project in college for a recording class and I chose Available Light as my final project song.

For one thing, the song has an absolutely unique tonal quality to it - an almost hauntingly flat echo and barrenness throughout, that explodes [oh the wind can carry/ all the echoes home to me] and [run to light from shadow...] & the treatment that the vocals get in recording are also unique on the album, as well as across other Rush albums - Geddy's voice is terrific on this one, IMO

Presto is a great album and Available Light is a standout song. Along with War Paint - my other fave.

Great call!

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Aug 10 2007, 02:03 PM)
I did a music project in college for a recording class and I chose Available Light as my final project song.

For one thing, the song has an absolutely unique tonal quality to it - an almost hauntingly flat echo and barrenness throughout, that explodes [oh the wind can carry/ all the echoes home to me] and [run to light from shadow...] & the treatment that the vocals get in recording are also unique on the album, as well as across other Rush albums - Geddy's voice is terrific on this one, IMO

Presto is a great album and Available Light is a standout song. Along with War Paint - my other fave.

Great call!

goodpost.gif Thanks for the reply!

I think the "explodes" thought is exactly what I was looking for in wording, but I'm not a musician by any stretch of the word...thanks for the help there!

I also agree with the vocal comment you make...the entire album is really excellent IMO...it's an album I can listen to very easily... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 10 2007, 02:06 PM)
It's probably my favorite song off my least favorite Rush album.

Most excellent! I hear that from time to time just reading posts... yes.gif

Yea. I think Available Light is one of my favorite underated Rush songs ever. Available Light, Vapor Trail, * tongue.gif Test for Echo In General tongue.gif *, Double Agent, Cut to The Chase, Scars, I mean, its not to long of a list, but there are more Underated tracks. These are some of my favorites. Right on man. Thanks for this thread! laugh.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (New World Manny @ Aug 10 2007, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Aug 10 2007, 03:55 PM)

Anyone else find Available Light really good?  (Or The Big Wheel)

Absolutely! They are each my favorite off their respective albums. I also put "High Water" in the same category as them in my mind.

common001.gif

Like High Water also!!!

I also love Available Light. There's something about the way it makes me feel when I play it. (I play drums) It's not real technical or hard to play. It's just one of those songs that makes me play with my eyes closed, head bobbing and just grooving. I'll often play 2 or 3 times in a row because it's just so fun...so smooth.

Plus, I can sing it while playing it. That's not something you can usually do while playing drums to Rush! I used to play in a Rush tribute band years ago and Available Light was the only song I sang. Man, that was fun. Sure miss those days! Thanks for taking me back there! 2.gif

The best song on Presto. "Available Light" is sublime, with a great lyrical message.

QUOTE (Grace2Grace @ Aug 12 2007, 10:21 AM)
I'm going to go head and add a big fat mention of Out of the Cradle.

I never really paid much attention to out of the cradle. I'm not sure why, but ever since someone mentioned it on here, I like the song alot.

Definitely one of the most underrated Rush tunes.

Archived