Lagers vs. Ales

Lagers or Ales?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Lagers or Ales?

• I mainly prefer lagers
    • I mainly prefer ales
    • I'll drink either or both, depending on my mood
    • Neither -- I prefer other types of beer, like pilsners, stouts, etc.
    • I don't know much about beer types. I'll drink anything as long as it's cold!

I used to be into Sam Adams Boston Lager and Blue Point Toasted Lager, among other lagers, along with assorted ales. There was a time where I really couldn't tell much of a difference between a lager or ale based on taste -- I either liked the beer or I didn't. In the past couple of years I unconsciously gravitated towards ales, not picking up a six of any lager.

I was in a bar several months ago and they had nothing good in bottles, and the only decent beer on tap was BP Toasted Lager, so I ordered a pint. I didn't give it a second thought as it was a past favorite of mine. But after that first sip...wait, do I like this? It tasted funny! I had become so accustomed to ales that the difference in taste between ales and lagers had suddenly become obvious -- and I wasn't crazy about the taste of the lager. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't inspired to order another one.

So now I don't buy lagers anymore, and I'll avoid them in a bar unless there are no good ales to choose from (a good lager is better than nothing!)

So, do you have a preference?

I'm a cheap date. Give me a Bud Light. laugh.gif

Lager most of the time, but I'll drink a stout with dinner...Yuengling & Guinness are the team. Most of my family and friends drink shitty beer though, except for one who loves Sierra Nevada pale ale...I kinda liked it the few times I drank it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 4 2007, 11:49 PM)
I used to be into Sam Adams Boston Lager and Blue Point Toasted Lager, among other lagers, along with assorted ales. There was a time where I really couldn't tell much of a difference between a lager or ale based on taste -- I either liked the beer or I didn't. In the past couple of years I unconsciously gravitated towards ales, not picking up a six of any lager.

I was in a bar several months ago and they had nothing good in bottles, and the only decent beer on tap was BP Toasted Lager, so I ordered a pint. I didn't give it a second thought as it was a past favorite of mine. But after that first sip...wait, do I like this? It tasted funny! I had become so accustomed to ales that the difference in taste between ales and lagers had suddenly become obvious -- and I wasn't crazy about the taste of the lager. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't inspired to order another one.

So now I don't buy lagers anymore, and I'll avoid them in a bar unless there are no good ales to choose from (a good lager is better than nothing!)

So, do you have a preference?

Hey nice thread.

I really believe its what you get used to or conditioned to. Its really interesting what people find important. Its especially fascinating whats going on with ales in America.

Having lived in prague its clear that the drinking culture there is very similar to britain, i.e. the public house is the main source of alcohol. The lager there is very similar to u.k. ales , in as much as it has the same I.B.U.(international bitterness unit) levels, around 25 - 35 I.B.U. - (Highly Quaffable) generally going up to 60ibu. It seems In America(I may be wrong) Ale is consumed primarily at home.

Being a beer nut I have noticed that America (through Dogfish head+others) has some ibu levels of 60, 120 and even in some extreme beers, way higher. This may be due to the accident Vinnie Cilurzo had in 1994 adding 50% more malt 100% more hops - getting a double double ipa. Its interesting to note that Humans cannot discern bitterness differences beyond 60 I.B.U. This however may be the yardstick by which American ale suppers Judge other ales.

15 combined Hop types variation in roasting etc etc theres only so much that can be done with taste(ibu). Have a nice time with a nice ale with your friends!

Now in britain we have been making ales for over a thousand years and what is important is freshness. This is not aloof snobbery, ales are a working mans drink, its just what has been fleshed out as important over the years.

In answering the question I am used to highly quaffable fresh ales -(cask conditioned + natural) Mild, Bitter and ales.

Companies tried to get ales ousted in the u.k. in the 70's with lager (lager is easier to deal with, being processed + pasturised etc) but I guess it is in our blood... quite literally.

I enjoy the body ales have +the depth of flavor, although I do recommend czech Lager. Even though Czech lagers lack the body of ales they are excellent, especially the black ones. Staropramen Opat and Kozel.

Enjoy whatever tickles your fancy! and I look forward to trying out american ales when i visit there soon trink39.gif

Edited by condemned2bfree

Ales

Sierra Nevada is my everyday drinking beer.

I really just started paying attention to beers about 2 years ago. I prefer the bitter aftertaste to the sweeter, molassesy taste some of the stouts seem to have.

Stone Pale Ale

Arrogant Bastard

Bass on occassion

Hop Devil

I like the barley wine styles too.

I just tried a new one tonight: Tankhouse Ale it's pretty good. It has a little of the bitterness like Sierra Nevada, a little of the juniper taste of some IPA's, a hint of the sweetness (wish it didn't have that part) it's definitely something I'll buy again.

Give me a good ale any day. yes.gif

I'm a lager guy, but I enjoy a good ale too. I also enjoy a good porter or stout every now and again too.

Spent 1.5 weeks in Germany in June and July. I'm really hooked on German lagers. Last summer went to Prague and really got turned on to pilsners also. Here are my top 4:

Pilsner Urquel

Budweiser (Czech orignal - not the Anheuser-Busch named ripoff)

Hofbrau

Bitburger

Augustiner is also good - haven't found that in the US though.

Interstingly, in Munich, Lowenbrau is considered to be pretty crappy beer.

QUOTE (Barchetta82 @ Aug 6 2007, 02:11 PM)
Spent 1.5 weeks in Germany in June and July. I'm really hooked on German lagers. Last summer went to Prague and really got turned on to pilsners also. Here are my top 4:

Pilsner Urquel
Budweiser (Czech orignal - not the Anheuser-Busch named ripoff)
Hofbrau
Bitburger
Augustiner is also good - haven't found that in the US though.

Interstingly, in Munich, Lowenbrau is considered to be pretty crappy beer.

Pilsner Urquel is awesome beer! One of my all time favorites too!

When I was in the Air Force, our unit would periodically get sent to Germany near the Bitburger brewery. There was a condition that many of our guys would get that we called the "Bitburg mudslides" after an evening of consuming too many Bitburgers. laugh.gif

I will drink lagers since that is the prevailing type of beer served here but my favorites are stouts (Guinness is nice) and Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest. That Hacker Pschorr is like candy to me. So good and so damn smooth. Man, your making me thirsty now.

i am a lager man trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif