Kevin Smith puts smackdown on a heckler

Slime

My 15 year-old stepson used to like SW and LOTR.

But he doesn't anymore.

He did, however, aggravate the piss out of me about taking him to Ozzfest tomorrow night...

I asked him 10 minutes ago why he isn't interested in SW and LOTR anymore, and he said:

"I don't know....It's like Poke'mon and Yu Gi Oh....it's just not that cool anymore....I guess I just outgrew it..."

I never was interested in SW-type stuff even when i was a kid...I was more interested in real life stuff.

I could back a trailer full of firewood into the garage with a tractor when I was 12. And that was after I filled it with firewood that I had cut with a 17 inch chainsaw myself.

We didn't have TIME for stuff like that.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also a coworker at the steel mill on secound shift with me is a LOTR enthusiast and loved all the movies, He also so happens to be a Vietnam vet BIG guy I wouldn't want to rip on him for liking these "children" stories! unsure.gif no.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Geds @ Aug 5 2007, 11:28 PM)

But he doesn't anymore.

He did, however, aggravate the piss out of me about taking him to Ozzfest tomorrow night...

I asked him 10 minutes ago why he isn't interested in SW and LOTR anymore, and he said:

"I don't know....It's like Poke'mon and Yu Gi Oh....it's just not that cool anymore....I guess I just outgrew it..."

I never was interested in SW-type stuff even when i was a kid...I was more interested in real life stuff.

I could back a trailer full of firewood into the garage with a tractor when I was 12. And that was after I filled it with firewood that I had cut with a 17 inch chainsaw myself.

"I had to walk ten miles to school every morning and walk back home every afternoon in hip-deep snow, uphill both ways and once fended off a grizzly bear with my loose-leaf notebook...." tongue.gif moon.gif

(With acknowledgement to the genius of Bill Cosby.)

Back on topic:

I like both 'Star Wars' and 'Lord Of The Rings' but I don't really consider myself a geek.

I consider Kevin Smith to be a talentless hack who should be working in a factory putting handles on coffee pots instead of making his trashy and disgusting movies and it's fine if anyone disagrees with that, we can't all like the same stuff.

I think that movies like 'Star Wars' and 'LOTR' speak to what's best in all of us. They tell us that good can triumph over evil, and that heroes are usually the unlikeliest of people (a naive farmboy or a small person). True, the hero's road is never an easy one and he is beset at all times with the temptation to just give up, but he doesn't. The hero stays the course and gets the job done. We all see something of ourselves in the hero and pray hard that if we're ever faced with hardships of our own that we'll be able to overcome them like our heroes did.

Kevin Smith's movies, on the other hands, speak to what's worst in us. Sure, you may think that Jay is one funny dude, but who really wants to be the indolent stoner who's day consists of hanging out in front of a convenience store? He's no hero, he doesn't even have what it takes to overcome the simplest of problems, yet in Smith's movies he is celebrated. Plus, will someone please tell me what's so damned funny about a woman having sex with a corpse?

If someone offered me a choice between a lightsaber or Jay's bong, I know which one I'd take. (Yes, I saw 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back', so I know that one of you out there is gonna make a "lightsaber bong" joke.)

Edit: this message is in no way intended as an insult aimed at Necro or a show of support for Goob. I just wanted to weigh in with what I thought about all of this and it's "my" forum so I can do things like that. wink.gif

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 5 2007, 09:04 PM)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=32...earch&plindex=1

I have never been more genuine when I say 'God Bless America!!!'

Nowhere, nowhere else on earth would you get that. You've gotta love the Yanks!!!

Disco

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 6 2007, 11:47 AM)

But he doesn't anymore.

"I had to walk ten miles to school every morning and walk back home every afternoon in hip-deep snow, uphill both ways and once fended off a grizzly bear with my loose-leaf notebook...." tongue.gif moon.gif

Damn you, jack, for pointing out how self-serving that reply was.

I didn't think anyone would actually catch it.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Geds @ Aug 6 2007, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 6 2007, 11:47 AM)

But he doesn't anymore.

Damn you, jack, for pointing out how self-serving that reply was.

I didn't think anyone would actually catch it.

laugh.gif

Sorry, man.

Next time shoot me a PM and I'll play along. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 6 2007, 01:02 PM)
Back on topic:

I like both 'Star Wars' and 'Lord Of The Rings' but I don't really consider myself a geek.

I consider Kevin Smith to be a talentless hack who should be working in a factory putting handles on coffee pots instead of making his trashy and disgusting movies and it's fine if anyone disagrees with that, we can't all like the same stuff.

I think that movies like 'Star Wars' and 'LOTR' speak to what's best in all of us. They tell us that good can triumph over evil, and that heroes are usually the unlikeliest of people (a naive farmboy or a small person). True, the hero's road is never an easy one and he is beset at all times with the temptation to just give up, but he doesn't. The hero stays the course and gets the job done. We all see something of ourselves in the hero and pray hard that if we're ever faced with hardships of our own that we'll be able to overcome them like our heroes did.

Kevin Smith's movies, on the other hands, speak to what's worst in us. Sure, you may think that Jay is one funny dude, but who really wants to be the indolent stoner who's day consists of hanging out in front of a convenience store? He's no hero, he doesn't even have what it takes to overcome the simplest of problems, yet in Smith's movies he is celebrated. Plus, will someone please tell me what's so damned funny about a woman having sex with a corpse?

If someone offered me a choice between a lightsaber or Jay's bong, I know which one I'd take. (Yes, I saw 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back', so I know that one of you out there is gonna make a "lightsaber bong" joke.)

Edit: this message is in no way intended as an insult aimed at Necro or a show of support for Goob. I just wanted to weigh in with what I thought about all of this and it's "my" forum so I can do things like that. wink.gif

In no way do i consider your post an insult, because it wasn't condesending or uppity. It's not like you looked down on fans of Smith because you're an oh so lofty fan of Star Wars or LOTR.

My disdain is for the geeks. The people that try to tell me these movies are the best thing ever, and that nothing can ever compare to them. I have met thousands of these types at comicons who actually can ruin shows for others with their idiotry. And unfortunately we have a few of them here, who like to ruin what others like by constantly comparing everything to these minor (in my opinion) movies. And if they're not making actual comparisons, real time, you KNOW that's what they are getting at.

I've never felt that what I like is what EVERYONE should like. I do my best not to cut on other people's likes, unless it's just to funny that I feel that i have to for their own good. z7shysterical.gif

Well, I love Star Wars, LoTR, & almost all the Kevin Smith movies (haven't seen all). So, I guess I agree with both?

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Aug 11 2007, 03:40 PM)
Concerning the video, he did OK at bashing the heckler. It would have been far more impressive to me if he could have done it w/o stooping to the "your mother" joke. If he says that to the wrong heckler, he could end up needing dental work.

To be fair, the guy wasn't exactly asking an honest/thoughtful question.

I'm just glad the guy didn't have a shirt on from a message board that had a couple threads saying that Kevin Smith and his movies sucked. It could have really gotten ugly........ laugh.gif

QUOTE (Slime @ Aug 12 2007, 10:15 PM)
Concerning the video, he did OK at bashing the heckler.  It would have been far more impressive to me if he could have done it w/o stooping to the "your mother" joke.  If he says that to the wrong heckler, he could end up needing dental work.

So it warrants a sodomy "joke" about his mother? wacko.gif

Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 13 2007, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Aug 12 2007, 10:15 PM)
Concerning the video, he did OK at bashing the heckler.  It would have been far more impressive to me if he could have done it w/o stooping to the "your mother" joke.  If he says that to the wrong heckler, he could end up needing dental work.

So it warrants a sodomy "joke" about his mother? wacko.gif

Probably not but that's usually the first thought on most guys as a comeback. It was after that that made it more funny. If someone questions my stuff with a dumb question like that, I'd probably start making fun of him too (unless he was bigger than I was or there was a lot of security!)