Kevin Smith puts smackdown on a heckler

Slime

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 5 2007, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 4 2007, 11:58 AM)
I mean... c'mon... you're a grown man who gets a boner over STAR WARS and LOTR.

So too does Kevin Smith. Ironic.

Ya know, it IS possible to like Smith AND Star Wars. In fact, most Smith fans love Star Wars, as does Smith himself.

I love Kevin Smith's movies... and not because they're so full of "substance" as Necro puts it. Ironically, there's probably a lot more "substance" in the Star Wars series than Necro's beloved Askewniverse series.

Oh PLEASE!!! They're movies for CHILDREN. Get off the pipe and quit playing with your wookie.

The only thing that makes Kevin Smith's movies "for adults" is profanity, and drug and sex references.

So are you saying that if Emperor Palpatine had a sailor's vocabulary, Yoda smoked pot, and Han Solo and Leia had sex scenes in the Millenium Falcon, you'd watch Star Wars?

Well... since you are a child yourself, I can't expect you to understand the subtle brilliances of Dogma or any of Smith's flicks. Nor would i bother to even try to explain them to you. When you are out of your diapers, then maybe I'll consider discussing this with you. Just the fact that you think I feel its the drug references and profanity that make it ADULT, shows you are still at a grade school level of maturity. Post at me in about a decade when you know something, k? Till then... stay with goober and that nonsense shit.

Oh ho ho, big middle aged man here knows everything huh? Granted, you obviously know more about life in general than I do, but come on dude, this is a f***ing Kevin Smith topic. The fact that you disregard someone elses opinion because of their age shows that you have a lot less maturity than you could at your age.

Gary's over there trying to reason with you, and all you can do is deny him? And for what reason? Because he doesn't constantly post in your threads (which, most of the time, aren't THAT good... sorry). Anyway, that's none of my business, so I'll stay out of it past what I just said.

Anyways, I've seen most of Smith's movies... and Dogma is by far the best. But just because it has "subtle brilliances" doesn't mean it's better than Star Wars or LOTR. It's a great movie, but I dunno if I'd call it better than the Empire Strikes Back.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Necromancer's "argument" against Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings is just a straw man tactics. He proposes that Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings are for children. An assumption on his part, only. He then proceeds to criticize people as immature for liking movies that are, in his words, drivel and for children. He also conveniently "points out" that Kevin Smith's films are "brilliant" and if you happen to like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings you are immature and cannot possibly understand or get that "brilliance".

It's a classic example of setting up a false premise and then attacking that premise. His arguments are based on his assumptions and conclusions only. Be careful of debaters who are their own sources.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 5 2007, 02:37 PM)
Necromancer's "argument" against Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings is just a straw man tactics. He proposes that Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings are for children. An assumption on his part, only. He then proceeds to criticize people as immature for liking movies that are, in his words, drivel and for children. He also conveniently "points out" that Kevin Smith's films are "brilliant" and if you happen to like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings you are immature and cannot possibly understand or get that "brilliance".

It's a classic example of setting up a false premise and then attacking that premise. His arguments are based on his assumptions and conclusions only. Be careful of debaters who are their own sources.

Owned by a guy who knows his fallacies.

Are you serious??? I'm the ONLY one who feels this way? Oh come on now. For every STAR WARS GEEK, there are fifty people that think it's either just an okay movie or not even a good movie. You forget that it's success is more than doubled by the amount of GEEKS that have seen it MULTIPLE times.

I'm not talking about the casual fan, like me, who saw the movies once and thought... okay... decent story, whoopedeedoo, i'm talking about the SMALL percentage of the American public that WORSHIPS the franchise and tries to convince everyone else that it is deserving of INSANE loyalty and ridiculous following. Sorry that I don't have that level of STUPID in me. It's an okay movie that did NOT deserve it's status in the world of movies. Just like LOTR.

And that is not JUST my opinion. But because the SW and LOTR geeks do have quite good numbers, they somehow think they are a MAJORITY. They are not. The rest of the world just doesn't get into the argument. Unfortunately, because I am a geek of comics and comic related stuff, i have come across the SW and LOTR class of geek all the time. So I voice my opinion on it because it frankly infuriates me. But i am far from ALONE in my thoughts on SW and LOTR.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 02:44 PM)
Necromancer's "argument" against Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings is just a straw man tactics.  He proposes that Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings are for children. An assumption on his part, only.  He then proceeds to criticize people as immature for liking movies that are, in his words, drivel and for children.  He also conveniently "points out" that Kevin Smith's films are "brilliant" and if you happen to like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings you are immature and cannot possibly understand or get that "brilliance".

It's a classic example of setting up a false premise and then attacking that premise.  His arguments are based on his assumptions and conclusions only.  Be careful of debaters who are their own sources.

Yeah... owned. wacko.gif

His point means nothing. Go get your Hand Solo outit on and play dress up okay? You're proving my point with each post you make.

OH... and i point out that I FEEL Smith's work is brilliant. I don't try to ram it down anyone's throat. I started this because when someone like Goobs constantly tries to make us see the VALUE of drivel like Star Wars, yet pompously tries to put down things that everyone else likes... it gets annoying.

Read the history of goobs here people. He's been doing this forever. When he attacts something YOU like and tries to make his opinion so superior, you'll see what i mean. It gets OLD. Some of us are sick of it. Me especially. I can't go into a thread about Rush without hearing how i'm stupid for not hating Vapor Trails. I can't go into a thread about Kevin Smith without someone who obviously HATES Kevin Smith coming in and making absurd comments just to infuriate.

This is Goober. This is what he does.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 12:48 PM)
So are you saying that if Emperor Palpatine had a sailor's vocabulary, Yoda smoked pot, and Han Solo and Leia had sex scenes in the Millenium Falcon, you'd watch Star Wars?

I nominate you to write the next movie.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 01:46 PM)
Necromancer's "argument" against Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings is just a straw man tactics.  He proposes that Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings are for children. An assumption on his part, only.  He then proceeds to criticize people as immature for liking movies that are, in his words, drivel and for children.  He also conveniently "points out" that Kevin Smith's films are "brilliant" and if you happen to like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings you are immature and cannot possibly understand or get that "brilliance".

It's a classic example of setting up a false premise and then attacking that premise.  His arguments are based on his assumptions and conclusions only.  Be careful of debaters who are their own sources.

Are you serious??? I'm the ONLY one who feels this way? Oh come on now. For every STAR WARS GEEK, there are fifty people that think it's either just an okay movie or not even a good movie. You forget that it's success is more than doubled by the amount of GEEKS that have seen it MULTIPLE times.

I'm not talking about the casual fan, like me, who saw the movies once and thought... okay... decent story, whoopedeedoo, i'm talking about the SMALL percentage of the American public that WORSHIPS the franchise and tries to convince everyone else that it is deserving of INSANE loyalty and ridiculous following. Sorry that I don't have that level of STUPID in me. It's an okay movie that did NOT deserve it's status in the world of movies. Just like LOTR.

And that is not JUST my opinion. But because the SW and LOTR geeks do have quite good numbers, they somehow think they are a MAJORITY. They are not. The rest of the world just doesn't get into the argument. Unfortunately, because I am a geek of comics and comic related stuff, i have come across the SW and LOTR class of geek all the time. So I voice my opinion on it because it frankly infuriates me. But i am far from ALONE in my thoughts on SW and LOTR.

Cmon now, you knew this was coming....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=32...earch&plindex=1

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 02:47 PM)

Yeah... owned. wacko.gif

His point means nothing. Go get your Hand Solo outit on and play dress up okay? You're proving my point with each post you make.

His point means nothing? You just PROVED his point. Insulting me by saying I have a Han Solo outfit is a straw man fallacy... because, let's face it, as much as I wish I did, I don't own a Han f***ing Solo outfit.

Get over yourself. You're one of the most contradictory posters I've ever seen.

QUOTE (Necromancer)
I can't go into a thread about Kevin Smith without someone who obviously HATES Kevin Smith coming in and making absurd comments just to infuriate.

QUOTE (Necromancer)
Go get your Hand Solo outit on and play dress up okay?

QUOTE (Necromancer)
I mean... c'mon... you're a grown man who gets a boner over STAR WARS and LOTR

QUOTE (Necromancer)
i'll just have to chalk up to you looking down on us like you always do.

*EDITED* for spelling.

Edited by Mustard Death

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 03:10 PM)

Yeah... owned. wacko.gif

His point means nothing? You just PROVED his point. Insulting me by saying I have a Han Solo outfit is a straw man fallacy... because, let's face it, as much as I wish I did, I don't own a Han f***ing Solo outfit.

QUOTE (Necromancer)
I can't go into a thread about Kevin Smith without someone who obviously HATES Kevin Smith coming in and making absurd comments just to infuriate.

QUOTE (Necromancer)

QUOTE (Necromancer)

QUOTE (Necromancer)

*EDITED* for spelling.

I said HAND SOLO

See... you don't get mature humor. You've just proved my point. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 02:46 PM)

Dude! You're doing it again! I never said you were alone in your argument! I just said it's a false premise. A straw man tactic!

Every movie is successful precisely for the reason that people see it multiple times. That's how movies attain large grosses. Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings have a dedicated built in audience. Yes, they've seen the movies multiple times. So what?

Both movie franchises are successful on multiple levels. They work as pop culture and high art. They mix fantasy with real life dilemmas. There are lessons to be learned as well as being entertained. That's all.

Okay, you think the fans are child and stupid. You think they are overbearing. You are obviously threatened by them. Why else do you use so many insults?

I'm with you on a certain level, though. I hate the dressing up and the festivals and the role playing. But many fans are sincere. They aren't forcing anything down anyone's throats. Chill out.

I don't like Kevin Smith movies because I don't think they are particularly well made. I don't find them insightful. I don't find them well paced. I find them visually unimaginative. I don't think they are funny. They just don't draw me in. With that said, I don't make my point by insulting people who do like his films saying they are made for pot heads and slackers who can't understand the brillance and originality of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 03:10 PM)

Yeah... owned. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer)

QUOTE (Necromancer)

QUOTE (Necromancer)

QUOTE (Necromancer)

*EDITED* for spelling.

I said HAND SOLO

See... you don't get mature humor. You've just proved my point. z7shysterical.gif

ohmy.gif Didn't catch that... maybe this is a good point to lock this argument up in the closet?

I'mma go play some pocket pool with my buddy Lefty... later.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 5 2007, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 01:46 PM)

Cmon now, you knew this was coming....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=32...earch&plindex=1

z7shysterical.gif

That had to be the funniest thing I've EVER seen regarding this topic. Thanks for posting that.

Anyone who sees themselves in that piece should really seek help. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 5 2007, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 02:46 PM)

Dude! You're doing it again! I never said you were alone in your argument! I just said it's a false premise. A straw man tactic!

Every movie is successful precisely for the reason that people see it multiple times. That's how movies attain large grosses. Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings have a dedicated built in audience. Yes, they've seen the movies multiple times. So what?

Both movie franchises are successful on multiple levels. They work as pop culture and high art. They mix fantasy with real life dilemmas. There are lessons to be learned as well as being entertained. That's all.

Okay, you think the fans are child and stupid. You think they are overbearing. You are obviously threatened by them. Why else do you use so many insults?

I'm with you on a certain level, though. I hate the dressing up and the festivals and the role playing. But many fans are sincere. They aren't forcing anything down anyone's throats. Chill out.

I don't like Kevin Smith movies because I don't think they are particularly well made. I don't find them insightful. I don't find them well paced. I find them visually unimaginative. I don't think they are funny. They just don't draw me in. With that said, I don't make my point by insulting people who do like his films saying they are made for pot heads and slackers who can't understand the brillance and originality of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

trink39.gif

OY VEY!! Whatever.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 10:51 AM)
there's obviously more to it when it concerns my one time friend, RushGoober.

I never stopped being friends with you. That was on your end if you really have to view it that way.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 11:08 AM)
Gary's over there trying to reason with you, and all you can do is deny him? And for what reason? Because he doesn't constantly post in your threads (which, most of the time, aren't THAT good... sorry).

Ah one of the "teen squad" as you put it says it succinctly.

It comes down to that. Somehow your defintion of friendship includes me participating in all your threads or going along with your group in your way. If I just did that you'd be happy with me. It's a ridiculous expectation, and the fact that you've wanted it so badly and said it so many times so publicly and harshly just made me want to stay away from it even more. But of course it's all my fault, right? Horrible person that I am? sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 11:51 AM)
This is Goober.  This is what he does.

Let me quote myself here from an earlier post; "The whole idea that i'm looking down on you or on anyone because i don't participate in your threads is just something you made up and has nothing to do with reality. you seem to have a lot of ideas about what goes on in my head, and they're usually just not accurate. "

you have a lot of ideas and thoughts about what i do and my motivations for what i do, and it really just is your ideas and thoughts. but feel free to view me as whatever you've got going on in your head. it really has nothing to do with me.

I have a old first edition Star Wars comic book wonder if it's worth anything?

Rush fans are on a whole to outsiders considered "geeks and nerds"

Lord of the Rings was a major influence to Neil "Rivendell" and those early concept pieces.

I don't think LOTR is strictly for children it has layered meaning that appeals to kids and adults alike. Simular as C.S. Lewis Chronicles Of Narnia, Yes Lewis made them as childrens stories but there overtones of Christianity can be understood by the older generation that Lewis gave deeper thoughts and message to this fable then the tale on the surface.

On the topic, don't know much about Kevin Smith's work except Silent Bob watched some of Clerks(seemed funny) and Dogma? weird and interesting liked it! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Aug 5 2007, 03:53 PM)
I don't think LOTR is strictly for children

Exactly. From the way he talks, I would think he's forgetting that LOTR were books first, and that he probably hasn't read them.

Now I know compared to some literature, LOTR's nothing... but damn, it's not exactly a children's story. Can you imagine being 12 and trying to read that shit?

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 01:16 PM)

Exactly. From the way he talks, I would think he's forgetting that LOTR were books first, and that he probably hasn't read them.

Now I know compared to some literature, LOTR's nothing... but damn, it's not exactly a children's story. Can you imagine being 12 and trying to read that shit?

To me the LOTR series is about the perserverance and victory of the spirit over the flesh, and it's therefore ultimately a very spiritual story, besides being just damn fun and a triumph of imagination. yes.gif

So are you saying that if Han Solo and Leia had sex scenes in the Millenium Falcon, you'd watch Star Wars?

I already watch them but I would definitely watch them more if this happened. Don't forget to get Padme naked while you're at it.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 5 2007, 05:02 PM)

So are you saying that if Han Solo and Leia had sex scenes in the Millenium Falcon, you'd watch Star Wars?

I already watch them but I would definitely watch them more if this happened. Don't forget to get Padme naked while you're at it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386047/

Oh wow... i just watched all the star wars and lotr vids and BOY WAS I WRONG!!!

Now I see just what brilliance they hold. Man... i'm such a tool for ever thinking they were kid stuff. They are so amazingly touching and filled with poignant commentary on spirituality and TRIUMPH over EVIL.

And while I was watching them, I realized that Kevin Smith sucks and so do all his movies. Oh yeah... and so does VAPOR TRAILS. What a horrible cd that is.

Oh yeah... BEST OF ALL!!! I've also figured it out that being ignored is a true sign of friendship. So all of you guys that KNOW that I love them... don't expect me to ever post in your direction at all anymore. Cuz even though I still love all you guys... i've found that ignoring you is a much BETTER way to show my friendship towards you. But don't worry... i'll call if you ever had a serious problem.

Nah... no.gif I can't do that. I'm not a dick.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 03:25 PM)

Now I see just what brilliance they hold.  Man... i'm such a tool for ever thinking they were kid stuff.  They are so amazingly touching and filled with poignant commentary on spirituality and TRIUMPH over EVIL. 

And while I was watching them, I realized that Kevin Smith sucks and so do all his movies.  Oh yeah... and so does VAPOR TRAILS.  What a horrible cd that is. 

Oh yeah... BEST OF ALL!!!  I've also figured it out that being ignored is a true sign of friendship.  So all of you guys that KNOW that I love them... don't expect me to ever post in your direction at all anymore.  Cuz even though I still love all you guys... i've found that ignoring you is a much BETTER way to show my friendship towards you.  But don't worry... i'll call if you ever had a serious problem.

Nah... no.gif  I can't do that.  I'm not a dick.

You seem pretty committed to misery, judgements, anger and venom. eh.gif Oh well. God bless you and yours. I hope you're happy.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 03:16 PM)

And let's not forget the influence of LOTR had on the music of Led Zepp.

Not to long ago The Children Of Hurin was a Book of the month club selection by Christopher Tolkien finished his dad's work.

And no.gif I can't comprehend anyone thinking this is kiddie material. confused13.gif

Besides, everyone seems to be nuts for Harry Potter young and old alike (personally never read the books but seen the first movie)

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 06:25 PM)

Now I see just what brilliance they hold. Man... i'm such a tool for ever thinking they were kid stuff. They are so amazingly touching and filled with poignant commentary on spirituality and TRIUMPH over EVIL.

And while I was watching them, I realized that Kevin Smith sucks and so do all his movies. Oh yeah... and so does VAPOR TRAILS. What a horrible cd that is.

Oh yeah... BEST OF ALL!!! I've also figured it out that being ignored is a true sign of friendship. So all of you guys that KNOW that I love them... don't expect me to ever post in your direction at all anymore. Cuz even though I still love all you guys... i've found that ignoring you is a much BETTER way to show my friendship towards you. But don't worry... i'll call if you ever had a serious problem.

Nah... no.gif I can't do that. I'm not a dick.

http://schwillz.com/stuff/total/pics/attention_whore2.jpg