The Dylan Thread

BillBuckner

Dylan fan here...saw him live with Foo Fighters last November.

61 and Blood are excellent albums. My all time fav song is Desolation Row from 61 cool.gif

Blonde on Blonde, Time out of Mind, and Love and Theft are excellent albums as well.

Not a big fan of Springsteen but I like this quote of his...

"Elvis freed the body, Dylan freed the mind" in regarding their influence on rock music yes.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

Man I wish I had gone to see him in 05 when he came to Atlanta. Yet I still sit here and wait until he comes back. I sure hope he does.

61 and Blood are good albums. As well as Bring It All Back Home and No Direction Home: The Soundtrack.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 27 2007, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 27 2007, 07:59 PM)
John Wesley Harding is pretty underrated as well.

Yes indeed yes.gif

All Along The Watchtower and Wicked Messenger are great songs.

I really like "Dear Landlord".

I saw Dylan with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers way back in 1986. Still one of the best concerts I've ever been too. I've seen Dylan many times since then and, unfortunately, he never reached the level he did with Petty.

Anyway, the man is trully an American treasure.

Love his stuff, even unloved mongrels like Street Legal and Live At Budokan.

Last years Modern Times was majestic.

Favourite album, it's a toss-up between Highway 61 and Bringing It All Back Home. And Nashville Skyline. And Blood On The Tracks. And Blonde On Blonde. And Desire. And so on.

Chronicles Vol 1 is one of the finest music bios ever.

Saved, Shot Of Love, Down In The Groove, Under A Red Sky and Dylan and The Dead are travesties, we all make mistakes.

At the risk of offending alot of people,

Nah.......better not.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 28 2007, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jun 28 2007, 07:59 AM)
I'm actually listening to The Essential Bob Dylan.

Man, you need to get some albums. Dylan has never really been well-served by his greatest-hits comps IMO.

What would be a good starter album for a Bob Dylan noob like me?

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jun 28 2007, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 28 2007, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jun 28 2007, 07:59 AM)
I'm actually listening to The Essential Bob Dylan.

Man, you need to get some albums. Dylan has never really been well-served by his greatest-hits comps IMO.

What would be a good starter album for a Bob Dylan noob like me?

Start off with The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan from his early acoustic period, then give Highway 61 Revisited a rattle, which will prepare you for the behemoth that is Blonde On Blonde.

From his country period, give Nashville Skyline a listen.

Then Blood On The Tracks. Mindblowing, every listen.

Of the 80's stuff get Oh Mercy.

Of the 90's get Time Out of Mind.

Of the 00's get last years Modern Times.

Of his cover albums Good As I Been To You.

Live album - Bootleg series, Rolling Thunder revue.

Rarities go for Bootleg series Vol 1-3.

There's much, much more but the abovementioned should whet your appetite to dig deeper.

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Jun 28 2007, 11:17 AM)

say it! say he sucks! You'll have at least one person that agrees with you wink.gif

laugh.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 28 2007, 09:21 AM)

Over Infidels? I don't know...

Deadwing, here are the 5 albums you should start with:

*The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - as Hatchet said, this is the best of his early pre-electric period, and probably one of his overall top 5 albums.

*Bringing it All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde - nobody who likes music should be without this trilogy.

*Blood on the Tracks - his best album IMO.

Mostly I agree with Hatchet about the other stuff...Nashville Skyline is the best of his "country" period. As I said earlier, John Wesley Harding is underrated too, as is Desire, from 1976.

His latest trilogy, Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, and Modern Times, is fantastic too.

I do have to disagree also about the live albums...Rolling Thunder is great, but I would say the one to get out of the Bootleg Series is volume 4, Royal Albert Hall 1966. The 1964 one as well.

The sheer amount of quality music this guy has released is just mindblowing.

True story. Back in the early '90's I went to the Dylan/Tom Petty concert with my friend John and a friend of his (can't remember the guy's name). We are front row on the upper balcony at Renunion Arena. So, I'm having a good time rocking out and everything and then the beginnings of a string of disasters struck. John's friend got piss drunk and threw up on the people sitting in the lower balcony. Now comes the ensuing chaos (lots of pissed of people below us). Tempers were flaring and the security guards had to step in to keep John's friend from getting the shit kicked out of him. Needless to say, we were kicked out of the concert.

We are now standing outside Renuion Arena listening to the roar of the crowd rage.gif . It's 30 degrees outside and we can't get back in. John's friend is too wasted to drive so John gets behind the wheel.

We are now driving down the highway heading back to Fort Worth from Dallas and the engine catches on fire! This really happened. Nobody carried cell phones back then. We ended up walking over three miles in open 30 degree wind to finally get to a phone at a gas station. We then called the wrecker and the rest is history............

That's going from sugar to shit my friends.

laugh.gif

Great story!

Especially the part where the puke lands on the people below........

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 28 2007, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 28 2007, 09:21 AM)

Over Infidels? I don't know...

Deadwing, here are the 5 albums you should start with:

*The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - as Hatchet said, this is the best of his early pre-electric period, and probably one of his overall top 5 albums.

*Bringing it All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde - nobody who likes music should be without this trilogy.

*Blood on the Tracks - his best album IMO.

Mostly I agree with Hatchet about the other stuff...Nashville Skyline is the best of his "country" period. As I said earlier, John Wesley Harding is underrated too, as is Desire, from 1976.

His latest trilogy, Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, and Modern Times, is fantastic too.

I do have to disagree also about the live albums...Rolling Thunder is great, but I would say the one to get out of the Bootleg Series is volume 4, Royal Albert Hall 1966. The 1964 one as well.

Thanks gonna check out Dylan next time I am at a music store.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 28 2007, 01:42 PM)

Before The Flood is also an excellent live album to check out...He performed with The Band for that one.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 27 2012, 08:48 AM)
Bob's new album, Tempest, is out soon. Uncut gave it 10/10!!!!

Here's "Duquesne Whistle".

http://t.co/DvddEs7h

Marvellous it is too.

I'm looking forward to it!

The title track is a 14 minute song about the Titanic.

Also another song is a tribute to his buddy John Lennon.

Edited by Test4VitalSigns