• wine
    • other

Wine- it's quite "fruity"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 6 2007, 08:27 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 6 2007, 03:30 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Jun 1 2007, 08:32 PM)
Plus, I will never forget the night I drank a case of boones farm and had to crawl 100 yards up a dirt road to the toilet....... but thats another thread!

Ahh grade school...brings back memories.

I'm a beer guy but my wife has been getting me to drink alot of wine lately. This time of year though it's hard to beat a nice, cold wheat beer (with a slice of lemon please)..

trink38.gif

The only reason any self respecting man puts a citrus fruit in his beer is if he is suffering from scurvy. biggrin.gif

It is a violation of the Man Laws:

Don't fruit the beer.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jun 6 2007, 03:18 PM)
Plus, I will never forget the night I drank a case of boones farm and had to crawl 100 yards up a dirt road to the toilet....... but thats another thread!

I'm a beer guy but my wife has been getting me to drink alot of wine lately. This time of year though it's hard to beat a nice, cold wheat beer (with a slice of lemon please)..

trink38.gif

The only reason any self respecting man puts a citrus fruit in his beer is if he is suffering from scurvy. biggrin.gif

Don't fruit the beer.

True as it may be I'm too far gone to care or worry about Man Laws. And besides these ricketts are killing me.

I do concur that most beers should have no fruit but a nice wheat beer cries out...nay, demands a wedge of lemon!

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 6 2007, 02:41 PM)

trink38.gif

Don't fruit the beer.

True as it may be I'm too far gone to care or worry about Man Laws. And besides these ricketts are killing me.

I do concur that most beers should have no fruit but a nice wheat beer cries out...nay, demands a wedge of lemon!

That's why I don't do wheat beer. Also why I don't do corona. If you need to fruit the beer to make it palatable...then try a different beer.

Warsteiner, Pilsner Urquell, Dos XX, Labatts, and old reliable (AKA Miller Lite) taste great straight up out of the bottle.

I always freak out when they serve my Dos XX with a lime. dazed025.gif

Roughly 364 days I year I will enjoy a tasty pint - so I certainly throw support behind the lovely, glorious, sudsy, wonderful, majestic, nectariffic substance that we call beer!

Nothing wrong with a wee slosh of wine now and then though! Goes much better with most meals.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 6 2007, 04:28 PM)

trink38.gif

Don't fruit the beer.

That's why I don't do wheat beer. Also why I don't do corona. If you need to fruit the beer to make it palatable...then try a different beer.

Warsteiner, Pilsner Urquell, Dos XX, Labatts, and old reliable (AKA Miller Lite) taste great straight up out of the bottle.

Don't misunderstand. I'm a fan of all varieties of beer from stouts to porters to belgian ales and I do like a beer with good, inherent flavors like the ones I mention. And I think wheat's are good unto themselves but I find a bit of citrus adds to it.

I stumbled across the concept years ago at a German bar, the kind with about 126,745 different varieties of beer. So I point at one (yes, a German beer) and the bartender asks what kind of syrup I wanted in it: citrus or berry flavored. I was stumped and shocked by this fresh heresy, but not wanting to sound unenlightened or like some unshod-slackjawed-yokel I stammered "citrus" and he poured this green syrup in the beer. I was dubious at best about what I was getting ready to drink: green German beer? But it was pretty good and I, apparently, was emasculated by the fruity mickey that evil bastard bartender slipped me.

Eh, I likes what I likes.

Beer good. Wine good too. Scotch and gin really really good.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 6 2007, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 6 2007, 04:28 PM)

trink38.gif

Don't fruit the beer.

Don't misunderstand. I'm a fan of all varieties of beer from stouts to porters to belgian ales and I do like a beer with good, inherent flavors like the ones I mention. And I think wheat's are good unto themselves but I find a bit of citrus adds to it.

I stumbled across the concept years ago at a German bar, the kind with about 126,745 different varieties of beer. So I point at one (yes, a German beer) and the bartender asks what kind of syrup I wanted in it: citrus or berry flavored. I was stumped and shocked by this fresh heresy, but not wanting to sound unenlightened or like some unshod-slackjawed-yokel I stammered "citrus" and he poured this green syrup in the beer. I was dubious at best about what I was getting ready to drink: green German beer? But it was pretty good and I, apparently, was emasculated by the fruity mickey that evil bastard bartender slipped me.

Eh, I likes what I likes.

I was just having some fun with you. Wheat beer is cool, and you can't do a wheat beer without the lemon. I'm not really a fan of wheat beer though. Don't know why, and it has nothing to do with the lemon. I guess I just haven't acquired the taste for it yet. There was once a day when I thought Guinness tasted like motor oil, so perhaps there will be a day when I dig wheat beer.

You mentioned porter...and that reminded me of Anchor Porter, from Anchor Steam. Oh that was good stuff. Not quite as good as the greatest beer of all time...Guinness!

trink39.gif

There is always either merlot or cabernet in my house, as well as some Sam Adams in my fridge. I tend to drink a lot more wine, because I find it much easier on the system. A dry wine that is. Sweet wine will put your dick in the dirt! The dry liquors are similarly easier on the system I find, such as good scotch or vodka.

As for drinking with food, I prefer beer with any fish or spicy food. Wine for everything else. I always get that metallic twang with fish and wine, even white, and beer was just made for spicy-hot food. drool1.gif

Edited by Weakly Criminal

Going along with the lemon-in-beer discussion

Corona needs lemon because it's nasty otherwise (IMO...can't stand that stuff unless it's Cinco de Mayo and I'm not in the mood for margs and it's the only thing on hand -- like drinking guiness on St. Patty's. It just fits, you know? But still, yick!!)

Many serve Sam Addams summer ale with a lemon and I can surely drink it without it (and most times do at home), but the lemon brings out certain flavors in the beer. It's really the same as pairing wines with the foods you eat -- where the food brings out certain flavors in the wine, and vice versa.

I also got a German beer one time at a bar and they asked if I wanted lemon in it...I said yes. The bartender put it on the glass rim so I drank 1/2 of it with the lemon sitting there, the last 1/2 with the lemon in it. Made a difference? Yes, but drinkable either way.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jun 1 2007, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 1 2007, 09:47 PM)
Beer. The safest all round choice for pickling......

Hops and cannabis are closely related.

No sulfides or other bullshit in good beer.

I drink beer while working like a blazed mule gardening in the sun. Wine under the same circumstances?

Boone's Farm...dirt roads... ???

Did you go to high school with me? rofl3.gif

I don't think I've heard Boone's farm mentioned in years...

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/dpagano4/Boones_Farm_Strawberry_Hill.jpg

Thanks for the memories...hummm...need to go fill in a few blanks.

ohmy.gif Boones farm ! does that still exist ?

"memories, like the corners of my mind." biggrin.gif

oh, and beer for me in general, but a nice merlot or cabernet goes great with a hunk of red meat !

Edited by tick

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 8 2007, 08:30 AM)

Corona needs lemon because it's nasty otherwise (IMO...can't stand that stuff unless it's Cinco de Mayo and I'm not in the mood for margs and it's the only thing on hand -- like drinking guiness on St. Patty's.  It just fits, you know?  But still, yick!!)

which is exactly why I don't touch corona...even on cinco de mayo!

And Guinness is the nectar of the gods. The ultimate acquired taste.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 8 2007, 01:35 PM)

Corona needs lemon because it's nasty otherwise (IMO...can't stand that stuff unless it's Cinco de Mayo and I'm not in the mood for margs and it's the only thing on hand -- like drinking guiness on St. Patty's.  It just fits, you know?  But still, yick!!)

trink38.gif

I drink guiness more than just St. Patty's day. Yummy!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 8 2007, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 8 2007, 01:35 PM)

trink38.gif

I drink guiness more than just St. Patty's day. Yummy!

trink39.gif

I would add Corona to the acquired taste list. Have some with real Mexican food (not tex-mex) and you might see what I mean. I always have it (with plenty of limon) when I get the REAL tacos at La Parrillada. It's a good compliment to the corn staple core of most real Mexi food. Edited by Weakly Criminal

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jun 11 2007, 07:57 PM)
I would add Corona to the acquired taste list. Have some with real Mexican food (not tex-mex) and you might see what I mean. I always have it (with plenty of limon) when I get the REAL tacos at La Parrillada. It's a good compliment to the corn staple core of most real Mexi food.

I don't think I will ever acquire that taste...I always do Dos XX when I eat mexican.

I love Dos XX. Green or brown bottle. It's all good! trink39.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 12 2007, 07:45 AM)
I don't think I will ever acquire that taste...

yes.gif Agreed.

My aim isn't to jab at Corona drinkers (hey, to each their own trink39.gif ), I just think that Bohemia and Negra Modelo are exponentially superior in flavor and consistency despite Corona's high sales. They wash down Mexican food or Tex-Mex like nothing else, IMO.

I'd be curious to know how other Mexican imports would fare if afforded the same lavish marketing campaigns that Corona's enjoyed over the last decade or so.

Edited by Faithless

I don't mean to slam those who like Corona either. Hey...what ever floats your boat. trink39.gif

It's just not may bag, baby.

But you know what is sad...lately, I find that I'm just reaching for old reliable more and more...and that is tried and true miller lite. I think I'm getting boring in my old age. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 13 2007, 07:37 AM)
But you know what is sad...lately, I find that I'm just reaching for old reliable more and more...and that is tried and true miller lite. I think I'm getting boring in my old age. laugh.gif

Maybe not. There's a reviewer for a local arts magazine that is recommending Bud Select....and he's a certified beer snob judging by his past beer reviews.

I guess it's actually come to me trying a Budweiser again... wacko.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 13 2007, 08:23 AM)
But you know what is sad...lately, I find that I'm just reaching for old reliable more and more...and that is tried and true miller lite.  I think I'm getting boring in my old age.  laugh.gif

Maybe not. There's a reviewer for a local arts magazine that is recommending Bud Select....and he's a certified beer snob judging by his past beer reviews.

I had a Bud Select at a Bulls game last month. I couldn't finish it. I just can't do Bud. I don't care for it, not to mention, it rips me apart the next day. Truth be told, the next day can be kind of amusing. You just don't want to be walking behind me. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 14 2007, 08:42 AM)
But you know what is sad...lately, I find that I'm just reaching for old reliable more and more...and that is tried and true miller lite.  I think I'm getting boring in my old age.  laugh.gif

I had a Bud Select at a Bulls game last month. I couldn't finish it. I just can't do Bud. I don't care for it, not to mention, it rips me apart the next day. Truth be told, the next day can be kind of amusing. You just don't want to be walking behind me. laugh.gif

Bud is headache beer.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jun 14 2007, 09:34 PM)

Bud is headache beer.

Budweiser is absolute shit. The McDonalds of the beer world.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jun 14 2007, 09:34 PM)

Bud is headache beer.

I agree. That's why I was so suprised to see a recommendation for it coming from that magazine.