Will The Real Rush Fan "PLEASE STAND UP!"

RUSHHEAD666

Do You Stand Up, Sit Down, or Do Both At A Rush Concert?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Stand Up, Sit Down, or Do Both At A Rush Concert?

• I sit on my ass during a Rush Concert
    • I stand for the whole show at A Rush Concert
    • I get tired or bored during the drum solo so sit down sometimes and stand when I feel like it

OK Earl, you asked for it.

I figure it's time I repay you for all your wonderful stories in kind.

I took my son, who was 13 and really into Rush (still is) to the R30 show. The tickets were pretty far back in the shed, but we didn't care. It was 2.gif

We were standing up, dancing around and playing air guitar. Just having a great time. Not everybody there was standing, but at least a third of the crowd in our section was. Just like us, jamming to the music and feeling the energy, basking in the atmosphere thick w/ great song.

Suddenly, shortly after Red Barchetta starts up, my son sits down abruptly. I ask him what is wrong. He tells me the guy behind him told him to sit down.

OK...you have a problem, but you confront my 13 year old instead of me while I'm standing next to him? That reeks of cowardice to me. So I told him to stand up, and switch seats w/ me. Let that bastard try and see through me (I'm 6 feet tall.) So we keep on dancing and playing air guitar, when something hits me in the back.

I turn around, pretty much w/ murder in my eyes, and look at the guy behind me. He gestures, w/ an extremely frightened look on his face, that it wasn't him. Then I see the guy behind him waving at me. It's a 350 lb biker, too large to stand for the show, waving at me. He shouts "I did it." I guess he figured I would look at him and say "Oh, my bad." Instead, I shout loud enough for him to hear me over the music, to "knock it off!" I kept the language down, trying to set an example for my impressionable son, that these things can be handled w/o cursing and fighting. But I also demonstrate that backing down is not the answer.

He flips me off.

That hurt.

I laugh at him and tell him to get security if he doesn't like it. I payed for my spot, and if I want to stand, I will.

So security walks up to me about five minutes later. This skinny long-haired kid tells me the people behind me are complaining that I'm standing. I nod, and gesture to all the other standing people, and tell him I'll take my seat once he's told everyone else in my section to do the same. He says "I'm just trying to make sure everyone has a good time."

I'm stunned. Sincerity from friggin' concert security? What's next? Bigfoot appears and jams w/ the band? The Cardinals select a German Pope? (OK, that one actually happened.)

Anyway...I look down to the front of our section. There are two empty seats together. I tell this young man that he will get no complaints about us if we can have those seats, about 20 rows closer, w/ no one in front of them. He says he needs to ask his manager. He comes back about five minutes later (we were still standing) and tells us we can have the seats as long as the legitimate ticket holders don't show up. I glance back at lardass the biker, and walk away.

We enjoyed the show after that.

That same son will be coming w/ me to the June 23rd show. If anyone here is sitting behind us, unless you're married to Fridge, plan on standing if you want to see the show.

And Earl, the beers are on me. trink39.gif

In Atlanta for the R30 tour my group stood the whole time because it's well RUSH !!. People were giving us tons of crap for standing while they were sitting, and it was pretty far down in the pavillion, we paid good money for our seats and i was astounded people were sitting.

I have 14th row for Charlotte, hopefully I will be surrounded by some true Rush fans.

I'm really bummed to find out today that I'm not a real Rush fan. I sure thought I was, I felt like I was, but I don't stand throughout the entire concert. Guess I've been living a lie for over 25 years. Sigh. All those wasted years. All those precious, wasted years.

only sissys sit down unless you have no choice. common001.gif

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ May 14 2007, 08:15 PM)
OK Earl, you asked for it.

I figure it's time I repay you for all your wonderful stories in kind.

I took my son, who was 13 and really into Rush (still is) to the R30 show. The tickets were pretty far back in the shed, but we didn't care. It was 2.gif

We were standing up, dancing around and playing air guitar. Just having a great time. Not everybody there was standing, but at least a third of the crowd in our section was. Just like us, jamming to the music and feeling the energy, basking in the atmosphere thick w/ great song.

Suddenly, shortly after Red Barchetta starts up, my son sits down abruptly. I ask him what is wrong. He tells me the guy behind him told him to sit down.

OK...you have a problem, but you confront my 13 year old instead of me while I'm standing next to him? That reeks of cowardice to me. So I told him to stand up, and switch seats w/ me. Let that bastard try and see through me (I'm 6 feet tall.) So we keep on dancing and playing air guitar, when something hits me in the back.

I turn around, pretty much w/ murder in my eyes, and look at the guy behind me. He gestures, w/ an extremely frightened look on his face, that it wasn't him. Then I see the guy behind him waving at me. It's a 350 lb biker, too large to stand for the show, waving at me. He shouts "I did it." I guess he figured I would look at him and say "Oh, my bad." Instead, I shout loud enough for him to hear me over the music, to "knock it off!" I kept the language down, trying to set an example for my impressionable son, that these things can be handled w/o cursing and fighting. But I also demonstrate that backing down is not the answer.

He flips me off.

That hurt.

I laugh at him and tell him to get security if he doesn't like it. I payed for my spot, and if I want to stand, I will.

So security walks up to me about five minutes later. This skinny long-haired kid tells me the people behind me are complaining that I'm standing. I nod, and gesture to all the other standing people, and tell him I'll take my seat once he's told everyone else in my section to do the same. He says "I'm just trying to make sure everyone has a good time."

I'm stunned. Sincerity from friggin' concert security? What's next? Bigfoot appears and jams w/ the band? The Cardinals select a German Pope? (OK, that one actually happened.)

Anyway...I look down to the front of our section. There are two empty seats together. I tell this young man that he will get no complaints about us if we can have those seats, about 20 rows closer, w/ no one in front of them. He says he needs to ask his manager. He comes back about five minutes later (we were still standing) and tells us we can have the seats as long as the legitimate ticket holders don't show up. I glance back at lardass the biker, and walk away.

We enjoyed the show after that.

That same son will be coming w/ me to the June 23rd show. If anyone here is sitting behind us, unless you're married to Fridge, plan on standing if you want to see the show.

And Earl, the beers are on me. trink39.gif

Hey Steel!!!

That was a great story!! I like your sense of humor weaved throughout!!

That biker is a prick big time.

I remember being forced to see Phil Collins at Mountain View with an ex girlfriend of mine. We were just kicking back on the lawn. Well as a Genesis fan I was not enjoying the show. There's one of the greatest drummers on the planet singing poppy love songs. The drum duet was cut in half too. I was pissed and the beers started to give me liquid courage. So I started getting loud and ripping on the show and the songs. You know cracking jokes, being annoying and very vocal. Well this giant biker dude in a Raider jacket laying down with his woman told me to "shut the fokk up before I come up the hill and shut you up." I did the smart thing and listened to him. Damn I hated that show. I hate my ex girlfriend too. LOL!!!!

I wish I could be there with you on the 23rd! Sucking down some brews and watching the greatest band on the planet. Have a few brews for me and I will do the same for you on July 20th up at White River! That's my first show of the summer!

As Ronnie James Dio would sing, "STAND UP AND SHOUT!!!

RUSH RULES!! 1022.gif

I'll be there on the 23rd and I will be standing as high as I can. The only time someone told me to sit down was at David Gilmore. These people kept talking through the beginning of the show, and have the nerve to tell me to sit down. I kept standing. 1022.gif

Being only 5'2" I have to stand to see. At the R30 show at Red Rocks it was standing ONLY. I still couldn't see so I stood on my seat and no one complained. This time I've got 2nd row I shouldn't have a problem seeing.

I don't Need to ________ to Enjoy a RUSH Concert. ( fill in the blank ) confused13.gif

Stand ! Drink ! Smoke ! Air Drum ! Cry ! Be Straight ( uninebriated ) ! Ect ! dazed025.gif

I would NEVER tell someone at a ROCK Concert to Sit Down, I, as Most believe, Unless it's a Venue Rule that ALL Must sit ( never seen this ), You Can't tell an attendee to Sit. fing.gif

Most People WISH I would Sit ( RUSH's Biggest Fan @ 6' 7" Barefooted & Big as a House 300+ Lbs )

And I DO sit for 5 or 10 minutes an Hour if I can, Otherwise the Intense Pain Start's & That Detracts from the Show more than Sitting Does ! My Girl, Jeri, Would Never sit if it wasn't for Me, Either because the Pain is too Much or Everybody Behind us is sitting. But Along with Majority, If I can't see from sitting position ( Due to people standing directly in front of Us, The Venue(Ushers) Can't/Won't get me to sit until my whole sight line is sitting. We Also Have been Moved Closer ( by the Security ) Because we wouldn't Sit. 1022.gif

It's Gonna Be Interesting here in Phoenix for Us. We Have FRONT Row seats, But in the Second Section. So We will Be in Charge of the Section Standing or Sitting. Chances are 100% Standing 100% of the time, Except when I collapse & have to sit for a few minutes per Hour ! But Even Sitting I will Have an Almost unrestricted View. Jeri wont sit unless she too Inebriated to stand ( Vegas Usually ).

This is a question that has bugged me at both (count 'em) Rush concerts I have attended. I like to stand, since I can sit down and listen to 'em at home if I so choose, and a concert is an OCCASION! icon_alienjig.gif

I'd assumed it was a Brit habit to sit at Rush shows and compain about myself and other standers (they're a ROCK band, for Pete's sake!). However, Birmingham NEC has kindly added the proviso 'PEOPLE AROUND YOU MAY STAND!' on the tickets for this year's tour, so I will be having this printed on the back of my t-shirt for the benefit of those behind me. dazed025.gif Cheers, NEC

Roll on the tour new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Roddy @ May 13 2007, 05:15 AM)
Good thread. Back in '02, I went all the way from Australia to see Rush in their home city, I thought there's no way on earth I'm gunna sit down for this. As soon as Tom Sawyer kicked in, I jumped to my feet in enthusiasm, and was instantly shouted down by about 10 angry voices behind me. I turned around to see hundreds of lame-arse fans sitting on their lazy butts! Pissed off....

So I went and stood in the aisle.

Yep...sounds like Toronto! eyesre4.gif

I live just outside Toronto...and I can tell you that this is by far one of the WORST places to watch RUSH. I've seen them 3 times in Toronto, and the 4th was in Buffalo.

Buffalo BLEW AWAY Toronto in terms of the crowd! I seriously thought that Buffalo was their hometown from the reaction they got. Everyone stood the whole show in Buffalo...and it was amazing!!

Last time I was in Toronto (R30)...there were people literally throwing garbage at other people telling them to sit down (including morons behind me)! rage.gif

wtf.gif Am I at the Opera??! Simply pathetic.

My suggestion to those people is to just purchase the DVD's, and watch them in their own living rooms. It's much cheaper...and you can keep your a** in your sofa for all 3 hours!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 23 2007, 09:08 AM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ May 13 2007, 05:15 AM)
Good thread. Back in '02, I went all the way from Australia to see Rush in their home city, I thought there's no way on earth I'm gunna sit down for this. As soon as Tom Sawyer kicked in, I jumped to my feet in enthusiasm, and was instantly shouted down by about 10 angry voices behind me. I turned around to see hundreds of lame-arse fans sitting on their lazy butts! Pissed off....

So I went and stood in the aisle.

Yep...sounds like Toronto! eyesre4.gif

I live just outside Toronto...and I can tell you that this is by far one of the WORST places to watch RUSH. I've seen them 3 times in Toronto, and the 4th was in Buffalo.

Buffalo BLEW AWAY Toronto in terms of the crowd! I seriously thought that Buffalo was their hometown from the reaction they got. Everyone stood the whole show in Buffalo...and it was amazing!!

Last time I was in Toronto (R30)...there were people literally throwing garbage at other people telling them to sit down (including morons behind me)! rage.gif

wtf.gif Am I at the Opera??! Simply pathetic.

My suggestion to those people is to just purchase the DVD's, and watch them in their own living rooms. It's much cheaper...and you can keep your a** in your sofa for all 3 hours!

Well said!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 23 2007, 09:08 AM)

Yep. I can't even sit down watching them at home!

I am usually bouncing around for the whole damned show, but when it gets too damned hot, I sit in the chair while it is folded up, so I am not technically "sitting". laugh.gif

It's more like ...................pausing. rofl3.gif

Hey, it's Florida. It gets hot and I am 6'2, 320 lbs. So, unless you want me to pass out and fall on top of ya.....let me rock out and pause every once in awhile!!

There will always be the beverages! trink38.gif 1022.gif trink38.gif 1022.gif

Probably gonna be a little "foggy" too............. cool10.gif

Man I just can't wait!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 13 2007, 02:32 AM)
If I had a choice, I would rather sit. I can take more in while I'm sitting. Plus I'm only 5'4", and standing while everyone is standing creates a disadvantage for me.

So all you tall shits out there, sit the f down!!

Hear hear... I'm 5'8" and I can't STAND (no pun intended) having to stand at concerts.

Sorry, I'm not going to the concert to get stoned and dance around. I am going to HEAR THE MUSIC and to WATCH THE PERFORMERS PLAY THE MUSIC. Maybe I'm too cerebral, but WTF, if I want to sit peacefully at a concert, I should be able to do it!

That's why I always go for the balcony or upper level; there's usually a much better chance that I'll be able to sit. Of course, even if I AM sitting, it always seems like there's some 7-foot giant sitting right in front of me.

I don't get stoned...but I DO dance around. And I feel that I fully enjoy and listen to the music. yes.gif

QUOTE (snafu jazzfest @ May 23 2007, 01:51 PM)
This is a question that has bugged me at both (count 'em) Rush concerts I have attended. I like to stand, since I can sit down and listen to 'em at home if I so choose, and a concert is an OCCASION! icon_alienjig.gif

I'd assumed it was a Brit habit to sit at Rush shows and compain about myself and other standers (they're a ROCK band, for Pete's sake!). However, Birmingham NEC has kindly added the proviso 'PEOPLE AROUND YOU MAY STAND!' on the tickets for this year's tour, so I will be having this printed on the back of my t-shirt for the benefit of those behind me. dazed025.gif Cheers, NEC

Roll on the tour new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hehe, I'll keep an eye out for that shirt wink.gif tongue.gif

Archived