Kurt Vonnegut dead at 84

Slime

Our friends Marcus and Jen used to live in the same apartment building as Mr. Vonnegut, in Northampton, MA. They've spoken to him a few times in the hallways and in town.

A genius and a good guy.

Anyone remember Kurt's cameo appearance in the Rodney Dangerfield movie "Back to School"?

Dangerfield is assigned a major paper on Kurt Vonnegut by his English teacher, and he hires Vonnegut himself to help write it. The teacher then says she knows Dangerfield cheated, but "whoever wrote it doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut." laugh.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

Farewell, Mr. Vonnegut. 'Harrison Bergeron' is one of the best short stories I've ever read and a brilliant cautionary tale.

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Apr 12 2007, 12:00 AM)
I literally just read about this, and I'm stunned. Kurt Vonnegut is my favorite author, has been since I first read Cat's Cradle. Rest in peace Kurt. The world just lost one of the greatest writers to ever live.

Nothing to add here...just 100% agreement.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 11 2007, 11:49 PM)
So it goes.

rose.gif

sad.gif indeed. rose.gif

I had just finished reading Slaughterhouse 5 when my dad said, "Hey, that guy who wrote that book you're reading is dead." ...Kinda creepy.

So it goes. rose.gif

Oh, a lion hunter in the jungle dark,

and a sleeping drunkard up in Central Park,

and a Chinese dentist and a British queen,

all fit together in the same machine.

Nice, nice, very nice,

nice, nice, very nice,

nice, nice, very nice

such very different people in the same device.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 12 2007, 09:36 AM)
Farewell, Mr. Vonnegut. 'Harrison Bergeron' is one of the best short stories I've ever read and a brilliant cautionary tale.

yes.gif

I love his sense of humour as well. His cameo in "Back to School" was hilarious.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 15 2007, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 12 2007, 09:36 AM)

yes.gif

I love his sense of humour as well. His cameo in "Back to School" was hilarious.

[after Diane gives Thornton an 'F' for his report, which was actually written by Kurt Vonnegut]
Diane: Whoever *did* write this doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut!
[cut to Thornton's dorm suite]
Thornton Melon: [on the phone] ... and *another* thing, Vonnegut! I'm gonna stop payment on the cheque!
[Kurt tells him off]
Thornton Melon: f**k me? Hey, Kurt, can you read lips, *f**k you*! Next time I'll call Robert Ludlum!
[hangs up]

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 12 2007, 08:36 AM)

I remember reading this back in high school, but didn't know until now that he wrote it. I do agree with you.