What's with the Test For Echo haters?

Rushman14

It's one of their lesser albums, imo, but there aren't any Rush albums that I "hate", just albums with more tracks I'm not so keen on. It always seems to come a fair way down the list when I'm deciding which album to listen to, but I always enjoy it when I do. And now I've said that I shall almost definitely listen to it on the way home biggrin.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Roddy @ Mar 13 2007, 12:11 AM)
I'm a 'true' Rush believer, have been since 1983, have every album, travelled from Oz to Canada in '02 just to see 'em. I absolutely despise T4E.

I don't get it. you really despise Time and motion, Totem and Resist? wtf.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 12 2007, 12:15 PM)
Is it me or does Test For Echo get a bad rap? I'm tired of all the harsh words I hear about it. While not one of their best, I think it's a solid Rush album with some really cool stuff on it. Some poster on this board referred to it as "Test For Crappo". Now that just pisses me off. What kind of true Rush fan would even utter a comment like that? dazed025.gif

I thought "Roll The Bones" had the bad rap!!! laugh.gif

I don't hate any RUSH record. I love them all.

TFE is a SOLID record.

The music is great, lyrically speaking though some of it bugs me.

The lyrics of "Dog Years" for instance. Sure it's "tongue in cheek" humor but it does nothing for me.

Also that "Net boy Net girl verse" in "Virtuality" is weak.

JMO

I, too, like T4E. Especially Driven, Time and Motion, and Totem. I even like the title track. I used to hear a lot of disparaging remarks about Signals, which is one of my favorites, and particularly about Digital Man, my favorite track on that album.

QUOTE (wordsmith @ Mar 13 2007, 03:42 PM)
I, too, like T4E. Especially Driven, Time and Motion, and Totem. I even like the title track. I used to hear a lot of disparaging remarks about Signals, which is one of my favorites, and particularly about Digital Man, my favorite track on that album.

the only thing that disappointed me about Signals is Alex's guitar mix.

It's a fairly good album, but not nearly as good as CP and VT on either side of it.

"Totem" is the best song.

I do agree with that. But something about that record really grabbed me.

Is the main complaint about T4E the lyrics? Are we so used to thoughtful, intelligent lyrics that we have begun to take them for granted? Neil's worst is still pretty darn good.

QUOTE (wordsmith @ Mar 13 2007, 03:50 PM)
Neil's worst is still pretty darn good.

"Dog Years" is an embarassment. The lyrics ruin what might have been a great song.

"Virtuality" is just as embarassing lyrically and has the worst chorus of any Rush song. Otherwise is just rocks out.

When a Rush song is bad (in the context of other Rush songs) it's usually because of the lyrics, IMHO. With that in mind, Test for Echo has at least two of the worst Rush songs on it, IMHO.

In a funny way, I think of Test for Echo as Rush's R.E.M. album. Especially "Half the World". You can drop that ditty on R.E.M.'s Monster and it would be right at home.

Overall, it's good. 3 out of 5.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 13 2007, 05:36 PM)
I think it gets a bad rap.  I like it more than 2112, honestly...which I think is their most overrated album.

what what what?! wtf.gif

I'm a 'true' Rush believer, have been since 1983, have every album, travelled from Oz to Canada in '02 just to see 'em. I absolutely despise T4E. By their illustrious standards, it's a weak, lame, run thru the motions effort, IMO. I can't listen to it, it disappoints me so much. Thank God for VT, and hopefully S&L, redeeming them completely.....

but your profile says you like all Rush songs.

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 13 2007, 07:37 PM)
I'm a 'true' Rush believer, have been since 1983, have every album, travelled from Oz to Canada in '02 just to see 'em. I absolutely despise T4E. By their illustrious standards, it's a weak, lame, run thru the motions effort, IMO. I can't listen to it, it disappoints me so much. Thank God for VT, and hopefully S&L, redeeming them completely.....

but your profile says you like all Rush songs.

No, it says 'virtually' (not Virtuality!) everything they've done. Subtle difference....

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 13 2007, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 13 2007, 05:36 PM)
I think it gets a bad rap.  I like it more than 2112, honestly...which I think is their most overrated album.

what what what?! wtf.gif

I like T4E better than the first four albums, actually.

To be honest, the only thing on T4E that really stands out to me is Resist. There's nothing wrong with the rest of it, it just doesn't appeal to me. And at least it doesn't contain a bad rap, like Roll the Bones-- sucking since 1991...

T4e is my least favorite album, by far. I do like the song Test for Echo, and Driven a lot, both lyrically and musically. However, the rest of the album sounds formulaic and uninspired to me. The lyrics to some of the remaining songs are good ... ie totem and resist ... but most of the music is just a little too much verse chorus verse for me.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 13 2007, 02:13 PM)
Is it me or does Test For Echo get a bad rap? I'm tired of all the harsh words I hear about it. While not one of their best, I think it's a solid Rush album with some really cool stuff on it. Some poster on this board referred to it as "Test For Crappo". Now that just pisses me off. What kind of true Rush fan would even utter a comment like that? dazed025.gif

TFE is a SOLID record.

The lyrics of "Dog Years" for instance. Sure it's "tongue in cheek" humor but it does nothing for me.

JMO

RTB does have the bad rap. And so does Presto. Two over-produced, sterile records that are only good because the musicians on it are great.

You are absolutely right about the weak lyrics Earl. Virtuality being some of the weakest. I love the music in the hook. Alex is just gettin some wails on the gui...gives me a chill. Dog Years is an attempt at clever from Neil that falls short, though it's so bad it gets a smile from me. The friggin heavy music supporting those lyrics is some of the edgiest they've done since '80.

Neil was obviously lazy lyrically. He was dead on musically. The boys were in synch, nothing was overdone, they even worked a few keys in (Time and Motion) and Geddy was still hitting some high notes and shining bassically.

So...bash it all you want. Neil took a quantum leap lyrically w/ VT. Unfortunately, while the music was heavy, it was again overproduced.

I'm just hoping the music and production of T4E meet the lyrics of VT on Snakes and Arrows. That would make for a phenomenal album worthy of a band like Rush trink39.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Mar 12 2007, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Mar 12 2007, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Mar 12 2007, 06:56 PM)
Test for Echo is overall Rush's best album of the '90s for me.

hm....that goes to Roll the Bones for me....

They're definitely close...

Victor is the best Rush album of the 90's, and only ONE of them played on it.

Test for Crappo, that was me.

Vapour Trails was the album that Rush HAD to do...they were going nowhere after Roll the Bones---Cooterparts and Test for Blecho proved this.

a few neat tunes RUINED by filler.

Vapour Trails was a mess, a muddled loud, underproduced gut wrenching f**k YOU louder than bombs earthshattering masterpiece of a mess.

It was their best work since Power Windows. It showed all of us, (as did the tour) that they are the best rock band in history. Only The E-Street Band gives them competition---and they are more rock n roll.

Snakes on a Plane could be their best album in a very long time---or it could be their worst.

Anything is possible with these guys.

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Mar 12 2007, 07:00 PM)

Same here for "Roll the Bones." I like T4E on the whole, though I agree that the strongest tracks are the title song, "Half the World," and "Resist." I almost always love their instrumentals, so "Limbo's" a given.

What's wearing on me is all this "Vapor Trails" bashing. Yeah, it's not the cleanest mix I've ever heard, but please, let's remember what Neil had to overcome to get back in the groove. It's not like VT was their return from a long vacation in the islands. From a style and approach standpoint, it was very fresh and advanced. There are some great Rush moments on that disc. Try to look past the technical problems and see the big picture.

QUOTE (lerkst @ Mar 13 2007, 09:37 PM)

I'd rate Victor and VT as the best Rush-related albums since HYF. And I love Presto and RTB.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Mar 13 2007, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 13 2007, 02:13 PM)

TFE is a SOLID record.

JMO

RTB does have the bad rap. And so does Presto. Two over-produced, sterile records that are only good because the musicians on it are great.

You are absolutely right about the weak lyrics Earl. Virtuality being some of the weakest. I love the music in the hook. Alex is just gettin some wails on the gui...gives me a chill. Dog Years is an attempt at clever from Neil that falls short, though it's so bad it gets a smile from me. The friggin heavy music supporting those lyrics is some of the edgiest they've done since '80.

Neil was obviously lazy lyrically. He was dead on musically. The boys were in synch, nothing was overdone, they even worked a few keys in (Time and Motion) and Geddy was still hitting some high notes and shining bassically.

So...bash it all you want. Neil took a quantum leap lyrically w/ VT. Unfortunately, while the music was heavy, it was again overproduced.

I'm just hoping the music and production of T4E meet the lyrics of VT on Snakes and Arrows. That would make for a phenomenal album worthy of a band like Rush trink39.gif

Bravo!

I agree with everything you have said as well.

It never crossed my mind ever in my life that Neil became lyrically lazy.

Interesting!!! So Neil had a case of the Writer's Lock Rock Block.

I guess it does happen to the best of them!!

The VT lyrics are a lot better. Heck I even like the lyrics on "FAR CRY" better than most of the TFE stuff.

"Time And Motion" is playing right now as I type this. My favorite song on TFE. I love this song and the hook. It's that lame keyboard loop that ruins it for me. You know the one right?

Lame.

At least "Time and Motion" has a guitar solo in it.

How FAR away do I have to CRY to hear an Alex Lifeson solo on a new Rush track?

I love your "bassically" tone!! laugh.gif

Net Girl Net Boy spread your what around the world???? 062802puke_prv.gif

I was going to say the say [type] the same thing. I don't want to dump on this album, because it's obviously very popular with alot of fans, and minds can't be changed...our ways are set! laugh.gif

That said, I recall listening to the Victor promotional CD my bro lent me, and immediately thinking to myself, "Gee, this is better than T4E. Way to go Alex." Boy was it hard to give it back to him so he could use it for the store (The record rep told him on Start Today , "That's Geddy"- I still haven't figured out if it's true or actually a female singer from Germany, as qouted by Lifeson).

I feel half asleep listening to Test and quietly thinking Half and Driven are great songs, along with Totem and Resist. The other songs are not really that appetizing (Colour of Right the one exception). As someone just posted, the album doesn't carry the same vitality as most Rush efforts do, or to me, Victor.

Peace. bekloppt.gif

Well I said yesterday that I was going to listen to T4E on the way home, and I did and I thoroughly enjoyed it as predicted. And yet I'm surprised, even though I've heard it a hundred times before. Sometimes I wonder if this is because I've read so many negative comments about it over so long a period of time.

It's not a classic, but it's a good, solid album with some marvellous playing.

I'm still not keen on The Color of Right or Half The World.

But I like Dog Years. And Virtuality.

Ain't it great how opinions differ new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Victor suffered from lyrics worse than Peart could ever pen (a few choice cuts aside) and cliche (!!) metal singing. Run of the mill vocalists are no replacement for Gedward I'm afraid. (I did like the chick who sounded like Lee though...that was great).

Victor's best two songs are the real oddball ones....the title track and In The End. Both of those just drip with killer atmosphere. There are others, of course, but those two most definitely get the awards for originality.

In the end even the best solo album doesn't favorably compare with the average Rush effort IMO. I enjoy both Victor and MFH, but not nearly as much as VT, T4E or CP.

That's an interesting opinion. Other than the single, I thought Victor rather bad, and I never play the cd I bought.

Archived