Arcade Fire

QUOTE (Rush! @ Aug 6 2010, 11:22 PM)
I have not listened to 'The Suburbs' yet but I am hearing generally negative reviews nearly everywhere...

I'm still going to listen to it...just pointing out the fact that it doesn't seem to be getting much good said about it, yet...

Eh? Not sure where you are reading reviews, but most of the ones I have read have been extremely positive. And I am talking reviews from fans, not nitwit critics.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 7 2010, 12:50 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Aug 6 2010, 11:22 PM)
I have not listened to 'The Suburbs' yet but I am hearing generally negative reviews nearly everywhere...

I'm still going to listen to it...just pointing out the fact that it doesn't seem to be getting much good said about it, yet...

Eh? Not sure where you are reading reviews, but most of the ones I have read have been extremely positive. And I am talking reviews from fans, not nitwit critics.

Nah I've been reading fans' reviews, some on Rate Your Music, and a couple other sites.

I'll judge it completely for myself when I get a chance to listen to it.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 7 2010, 01:17 AM)
That is always the best thing to do. If you enjoy it half as much as I am, you are in for a real treat! biggrin.gif

Oh yeah!

And I'm sure I'll enjoy it...

We'll see if it can top Neon Bible.

I forgot this band existed to be honest. I played the hell out of Funeral and Neon Bible a few summers ago but somewhere along the way I just lost touch with them. I'm adding The Suburbs to my ever growing list of shit I need to buy
  • Like 1

Got The Suburbs recently, and so far it's probably my favorite Arcade Fire album yet! I'm not really the type to have a perpetual hard-on for Funeral. I'd rate that and Neon Bible quite equally, but The Suburbs sounds WAY more cohesive and interesting. Plus Sprawl II just blows everything away. Thanks for re-upping my interest in this band!

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 13 2010, 11:18 AM)
they played on the Daily Show last night. not my cup of tea but thought I would pass this along as it should be re-run several times today.

I saw that, too. I really wanted to check them out, since I've heard so much about them. But, I ended up kinda huh.gif .

Hey, I tried.

Edit to ask: Was it the Colbert Report or the Daily Show?

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 13 2010, 12:36 PM)
they played on the Daily Show last night. not my cup of tea but thought I would pass this along as it should be re-run several times today.

I saw that, too. I really wanted to check them out, since I've heard so much about them. But, I ended up kinda huh.gif .

Hey, I tried.

It was the daily show.

I get to see them soon. FINALLY!!!!!!! I'm so excited. I can't wait.

I have their first 2 albums. Now I'm gonna buy the 3rd.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 13 2010, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 13 2010, 12:36 PM)

Hey, I tried.

It was the daily show.

Oh, ok. It's on right now! laugh.gif

Isn't there like 19 people in this band or something like that?

Any time I've seen video of them, they looked really crowded up there on stage.

I just got Neon Bible (used for $2!). It's actually quite good upon the first couple of partial listens. Not at all what I expected after hearing people talk about this for a long time.

I guess my only initial complaint is the production. Maybe it's supposed to be that way, with a very full sound, but it does sound a tad muddy to me. I kind of wish it was a bit clearer. Otherwise, a really good album that demands further listens.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 13 2010, 06:30 PM)
Isn't there like 19 people in this band or something like that?

Any time I've seen video of them, they looked really crowded up there on stage.

They're like the indie rock Wu Tang. laugh.gif

I loved Arcade Fire ever since I heard Neighborhood #3 and this is coming from someone who doesn't like most current indie music.

I'm really digging We Used To Wait from The Suburbs. Nice to see a band with talent win the AotY Grammy instead of teenybopper junk like Mrs. Russell Brand. 062802puke_prv.gif

I didn't enjoy the new one (The Suburbs) much at all but it had 4 or 5 solid songs.

Neon Bible is my favorite, not a bad tune on there.

Funeral is alright. Neighborhood #1 and Rebellion (Lies) are the highlights for me.

Funeral is one of my favourite albums ever. Neon Bible and The Suburbs have some fantastic songs too, but there's some lesser tracks too IMO, and The Suburbs in particular probably could've been whittled down by a couple of songs.

Goobs, I totally get that comment about Neon Bible being a bit muddy. There's some really thick reverbs that are just heaped on everything, especially the drums. I'd definitely recommend checking out Funeral though. It's got a pretty full sound too, but with less of the mud. It's also a more concise, song-oriented album than Neon Bible, which is part of what I like about it but YMMV.

Edited by invisibleairwaves

I'm a prog rock guy and not usually into indie rock, but I just saw these guys on Austin City Limits and was pretty impressed. I guess I'm a sucker for any band that still uses synths with the old LFO sweep sound. tongue.gif Plus you've got to love their energy and the fun they're obviously having.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2186238785

• Like 1

David Bowie does a bit of background vocals in this song.

I really like the new direction they're taking with this song. Very catchy and danceable.

The new album is also called "Reflektor" and comes out Oct.29.