"I don't understand the high praise afforded to...

Slime

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Feb 14 2007, 01:39 PM)
The Dixie Chicks. Five Grammy awards? What have we become as a society? wacko.gif

I will say they are not my taste in music at all. I will admit to like a couple of their songs though. Talking strictly about talent, they are very talented ladies. Their vocal ability is not shitty. Their playing ability is not shit. I just don't really like the style music. So I wouldn't say they deserve being the most overrated. Just my two sense.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 16 2007, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 15 2007, 12:46 AM)
Let's see, in no order, what do people see in the following that I detest:

Portishead

ohmy.gif

I actually LOVE Portishead. Shame they didn't make more albums... sad.gif

The first Portishead album is a classic.

C'mon 'Glory Box' and 'Roads'. They helped create a new sound, nuff said.

I didn't know their fame had spread to Yankside...speaking of which this is the second (fairly) new band Goobs has nodded to today, the tide is turning!

Disco

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 16 2007, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (muff2112 @ Feb 16 2007, 03:40 PM)
what about aerosmith?
have they ever written a decent song?

Both Toys in the Attic and Rocks are filled with great kick ass tunes!

Exactly what I was going to say.

Rocks especially.

"Nobody's Fault" is probably my favorite Aerosmith song, but "Last Child" is up there too.

The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, KISS, and about 99% of metal groups are ridiculously overrated, I agree. And Bob Dylan's voice is God-awful and he isn't an instrumental virtuoso either, but...the man's a master wordsmith. You can read his song lyrics like poetry. They're incredible. So even though I'd never make it through a Dylan album, I have a healthy amount of respect for him as a songwriter.

QUOTE (Disco @ Feb 16 2007, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 16 2007, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 15 2007, 12:46 AM)
Let's see, in no order, what do people see in the following that I detest:

Portishead

ohmy.gif

I actually LOVE Portishead. Shame they didn't make more albums... sad.gif

The first Portishead album is a classic.

C'mon 'Glory Box' and 'Roads'. They helped create a new sound, nuff said.

I didn't know their fame had spread to Yankside...speaking of which this is the second (fairly) new band Goobs has nodded to today, the tide is turning!

Disco

laugh.gif

I was into a bit of conteporary music in the 90's. I went through a major shoegze phase, ambient phase, trip-hop phase, and then it kind of fizzled. I don't listen to that stuff too much these days, but I still have a bit of it. I tend to stick mostly with 60's and 70's, but occasionally I'll listen to some more modern stuff. We're talking maybe 1% of the time, but that's better than 0%!

P.S. - Portishead did have some success here. Moreso with their 1st album than their 2nd, but they were pretty known in the States when they were active...

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Feb 16 2007, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Feb 14 2007, 01:39 PM)
The Dixie Chicks.  Five Grammy awards?  What have we become as a society? wacko.gif

I will say they are not my taste in music at all. I will admit to like a couple of their songs though. Talking strictly about talent, they are very talented ladies. Their vocal ability is not shitty. Their playing ability is not shit. I just don't really like the style music. So I wouldn't say they deserve being the most overrated. Just my two sense.

And to me that makes sense.

I can completely understand some one not liking this type of music genre. After all it's a RUSH forum, that can be expected. laugh.gif

But theres many out there just want to ride the hate wave with the Dixie Chicks because of the 03 incident. Without being familiar with there music at all.(And like was said earlier in thread theres been many times worse things said about this president)

Just seems to me a bit hypocritical.

I love there music have from the start, And I'm not ASHAMED to say.

Seen them play very early in there career at our Stark County Fair .

They were awesome and yes there very good musicians and vocal harmonies secound to none.

Rick Rubin did a masterful job with Taking The Long Way.

And a list of talent that jammed with the Chicks on this record

John Mayer ,Mike Cambell of the Heartbreakers, Keb'Mo,Bonnie Raitt

Chad Smith on drums from the Chili Peppers.

Btw folks they have won a total of 14 grammys which includes the five they won this year. I agree the grammys are lame, I hate these award shows, But every once in awhile they get it right, I felt the same way when Joshua Tree won. Putting aside all of this political crap I'm a FAN I thought they deserve to win because It's a great album. If there was a agenda why the DCX won all (perhaps) confused13.gif Don't care I like the MUSIC.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 16 2007, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 15 2007, 07:54 AM)
I don't understand the reason  to praise obscure  psychedelic bands.
Is it really necessary to go to such lengths to expand your mind? schla03.gif  cool10.gif  pokey.gif  tongue.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Um, YES???

I don't really think of it going to great lengths to expand my mind. I just love what I love

Likewise goob.

You have no problem of being critical of others choice of music.

Yes you don't like country, hate it matter of fact many here feel the same way.

But act shocked when someone questions your taste ohmy.gif

Sorry but others feel just as strongly as you with the type of music they enjoy .

It depends on the individual, no ones personal opinion going to change me from what I like.

Don't care how much of a pseudo authority on all music you think you are.

Btw don't really have anything against the narrow field of psychedelica that your involved with. How could I, can't form a opinion on something I know nothing about(To the depth of your expertise). And that's my point, how could anybody? no.gif I don't understand. AND WHO CARES!!

I was just fishing for a reply on your behalf.

To give this response!!!

Peace...... smile.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 16 2007, 07:25 PM)
Do you like Massive Attack, Goober?

I haven't heard much of them, although I suspect I would from what I know of them, even though it's not the kind of music I listen to as actively these days. I have one cd-single of theirs, Teardrop, and that ONLY because it guest stars Elisabeth Fraser of the Cocteau Twins and I used to be a HUGE Cocteau Twins fan.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 16 2007, 09:33 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 16 2007, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 15 2007, 07:54 AM)
I don't understand the reason  to praise obscure  psychedelic bands.
Is it really necessary to go to such lengths to expand your mind? schla03.gif  cool10.gif  pokey.gif  tongue.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Um, YES???

I don't really think of it going to great lengths to expand my mind. I just love what I love

Likewise goob.

You have no problem of being critical of others choice of music.

Yes you don't like country, hate it matter of fact many here feel the same way.

But act shocked when someone questions your taste ohmy.gif

Sorry but others feel just as strongly as you with the type of music they enjoy .

It depends on the individual, no ones personal opinion going to change me from what I like.

Don't care how much of a pseudo authority on all music you think you are.

Btw don't really have anything against the narrow field of psychedelica that your involved with. How could I, can't form a opinion on something I know nothing about(To the depth of your expertise). And that's my point, how could anybody? no.gif I don't understand. AND WHO CARES!!

I was just fishing for a reply on your behalf.

To give this response!!!

Peace...... smile.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I don't even know how to respond to all of that! laugh.gif

Yeah, I'm an opinionated loudmouth and a major snob when it comes to music. Sue me. tongue.gif

Seriously though, I don't expect anyone to be transformed in their musical tastes because I say something, and even though I may not always say it, there is always an IMHO meant in my musical pontifications. Ok, maybe not always the humble part, but definitely in my opinion anyway. wink.gif

You and everyone else are free to love whatever they love, just as I'm free to state my loud opinions. cool.gif

Peace bro,

Gary

trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Feb 17 2007, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (thedoorsdk @ Feb 16 2007, 09:49 AM)
Haha, I know, I'm usually alone on the Pink Floyd thing.
It just bores me to tears.

pokey.gif

Yeah, that's what it feels like when I listen to DSOTM.

QUOTE (thedoorsdk @ Feb 16 2007, 11:15 PM)

pokey.gif

You have no soul.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Feb 16 2007, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE (thedoorsdk @ Feb 16 2007, 11:15 PM)

pokey.gif

You have no soul.

Not true. He doesn't enjoy it. Not a crime.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Feb 16 2007, 07:18 PM)
The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, AC/DC, KISS, and about 99% of metal groups are ridiculously overrated, I agree. And Bob Dylan's voice is God-awful and he isn't an instrumental virtuoso either, but...the man's a master wordsmith. You can read his song lyrics like poetry. They're incredible. So even though I'd never make it through a Dylan album, I have a healthy amount of respect for him as a songwriter.

goodpost.gif

Lyrical genius is not easy, and he pulls it off again & again.

To continue the thread with another band, a way overrated group for me is Lynyrd Skynyrd.

QUOTE (thedoorsdk @ Feb 16 2007, 08:49 AM)

You know...I can't really call myself a "Floyd" fan. In fact, I would say that I'm a surface fan at best. There are songs and albums that I really DIG and have and listen to...but honestly, most of it really makes no sense to me. Not denying they are known as a serious powerhouse band, and I give credit where it's due, but with the exception of the 1 or 2 albums I have, one of which is "The Wall", I really have never been able to filter them in...

I really like "The Trial" and the music of "The Wall"...then just the hit songs really...sorry Floyd fans...but I do recognize them as one of the very best! yes.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 18 2007, 01:55 PM)

goodpost.gif

To continue the thread with another band, a way overrated group for me is Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Or any other "southern rock" for that matter. Must just be a regional thing, why I don't like any of that at all.

Some Allman Brothers stuff is alright, but most other stuff in that genre...062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 18 2007, 05:35 PM)

goodpost.gif

Or any other "southern rock" for that matter. Must just be a regional thing, why I don't like any of that at all.

Some Allman Brothers stuff is alright, but most other stuff in that genre...062802puke_prv.gif

Hard to not appreciate "Jessica", but the genre is pretty limited, IMO.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 18 2007, 03:35 PM)

goodpost.gif

Agreed.

Oh, and Dream Theater.

I'm afraid, after listening to a fair amount of their stuff, I have to add Porcupine Tree to my list. As I've said elsewhere, I like progressive music that goes to extremes, and PT simply don't. While bands like Opeth and Dream Theater's heavy stuff is extremely heavy, their light stuff is extremely light, such seems to be far from the case with PT. They never seem to extend themselves either way. Their music just seems to plod along without really reaching any kind of climax, to my ears.

Archived