Deep Purple!

mikeroach113

http://www.metalonmetal.altervista.org/immagini/DEEP%20PURPLE%202.jpg

http://www.deeppurple.com.au/

Deep Purple pretty much invented heavy metal (it was either them or Ozzy), and they've proven to be highly influential and enduring over the years. Their 1972 album "Machine Head" is one of THE MOST important albums in all of heavy metal and british rock. I wouldn't say the album's very well known, but 3 of the 7 songs are timeless rock anthems, they are:Highway Star, Space Truckin', and last, but certainly not least, the mother of all guitar riffs:"Smoke On The Water". The album is one of the best of all time. You just HAVE to listen to "Highway Star" to hear how awesome it is. Some also believe this song was the beginning of speed metal. I also wanna check out the stuff they did with David Coverdale, and I'd like to check out that album Ian Gillan did with Black Sabbath (1983's Born Again).

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't know about inventing Heavy Metal, and by Ozzy I presume you mean Black Sabbath, but Deep Purple were/still are an excellent band, with a variety of styles and influences.

If you like Machine Head I'd try 'In Rock' and 'Made In Japan', two other great albums from the Mark II line-up.

I love the tracks Burn and Mistreated from the Mark III line-up, but get bored with the whole 'Burn' album, which is the first with Coverdale and Hughes.

I like the first side of 'Come Taste The Band' the last album before disbanding for 20 (?) years. This, the Mark IIII line-up with Tommy Bolin, almost destroyed the band's live reputation.

I saw Deep Purple in 1985 when their Machine Head lineup got back together to record Perfect Strangers. It was a very enjoyable concert, I remember. For that brief period, they had recaptured the magic they once had. Their followup to Perfect Strangers was a dud, though.

I only have one album of theirs, and it's the live album Made in Japan.

It kicks ass. Surprisingly ELP-esque.

QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Jan 27 2007, 11:54 PM)
Ive only heard Smoke on the Water and Highway Star by them, but both songs kick major ass, especially Highway Star.

Really good band.

yes.gif ditto

My favorites are: (No particular order)

Machine Head

In Rock

Burn

Come Taste the Band

Perfect in Strangers

trink36.gif

Yes I've been into this band off an on since the late 70s when I was not quite a teenager. The classic line-up of Gillan, Blackmore, Lord, Glover and Paice is the one we all think about and this was when the band were at their peak, 70-74. The Burn/Stormbringer and Tommy Bolin eras are worth a mention as well though.

I'm a Steve Morse freak too so I enjoy the current line-up, but the new material and and general vibe, while good, makes me kind of feel like I'm listening to a different band. Like say "New Deep Purple" Plus these days Jon Lord isn't in the band anymore along with Blackmore and ironically Ritchie's former Rainbow co-hort Don Airey tickles the ivories for them now...

They were incredible in concert in about 1998 with Dream Theater and ELP. I was surprised at how much energy Deep Purple's show had. Seeing was believing for me. I had played space truckin & highway star in bands as a kid in the 80's but didn't realize how great of a live band they were. Sorry, but Steve Morse kills Ritchie Blackmore on stage imho!

Most people are NOT familiar with their first 3 albums, but this is the period of their career I prefer:

Shades of Deep Purple, September 1968 (UK)

The Book of Taliesyn, December 1968 (US), July 1969 (UK)

Deep Purple, June 1969 (US), November 1969 (UK)

This era produced their early hits Kentucky Woman and Hush.

Outside of that, I like Deep Purple, though not like I used to when I was younger. Like AC/DC, lyrically, they're often nothing special, but they're good musically and they do have some amazing songs like Highway Star, Space Truckin' and a handful of others.

I saw them a couple of times in the 80's...

Rushgoober, Bon was the greatest street poet going!. Who else could come up with,

'I'm a rocker,

I'm a roller,

I'm a right out of controller,

I'm a wheeler,

I'm a dealer,

I'm a wicked woman stealer'

Class!

Chuckle, but it had to be said.

Im into Blackmore,whatabout RAinbow, i could say their records are way heavier cool.gif

Ok I'm gonna bump this thread as I'm having a Deep Purple phase, particularly these three albums...

http://bp2.blogger.com/_fbuYL1Y4VSc/RmPuZJrtYAI/AAAAAAAAA_E/h15w-EHvZFY/s1600/In%2BRock.JPG

http://mp3passion.net/uploads/posts/thumbs/1169480416_deep_purple__who_do_we_think_we_arefront.jpg

http://personales.alumno.upv.es/~frapedga/DeepPurple/cover.jpg

Useless information part 725970:

Jon Lord was asked why they called their 1973 album Who do we think we are and he said, "well we get a ton of mail and it's not all good, a lot of the bad ones start off "Who does deep Purple think they are??"

biggrin.gif

bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif

bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif bumper.gif

i can write 50908087 pages about the purples.

i will just say this:

Jon Lord is the real Lord..

Ritchie Blackmore inventes the electric guitar with jimi hendrix,robert fripp,jimi page,mick box etc etc etc

Ian Paice as i read on another forum was one of the first rock drummers to pull drum fills on rock songs(not sure about it!)

Ian Gillan is without a doubt the greatest singer. just listen to Child In Time.. i cant hold myself without crying when i hear this song.

and glover?..... ummm well he played with a pick on bass ):

offcoure coverdale was awesome.

every album from their first one to Stormbringer is a gold and a must IMO

i write in a little offensive way.. not in a good mode because of personal stuff.. this forum keeps me from going on a rampage):

I love Deep Purple but it is difficult for me to describe them as a metal band. They have songs that contain elements of metal but too many of their songs are just not metal. I don't care if they are metal or not, just addressing the point.

Highway Star is an awesome song (their best, imo) and my band in high school covered it. Gillian is amazing.

QUOTE (Larks @ Feb 10 2008, 06:53 AM)
i can write 50908087 pages about the purples.

i will just say this:

Jon Lord is the real Lord..

Ritchie Blackmore inventes the electric guitar with jimi hendrix,robert fripp,jimi page,mick box etc etc etc

Ian Paice as i read on another forum was one of the first rock drummers to pull drum fills on rock songs(not sure about it!)

Ian Gillan is without a doubt the greatest singer. just listen to Child In Time.. i cant hold myself without crying when i hear this song.

and glover?..... ummm well he played with a pick on bass ):

offcoure coverdale was awesome.

every album from their first one to Stormbringer is a gold and a must IMO

i write in a little offensive way.. not in a good mode because of personal stuff.. this forum keeps me from going on a rampage):

trink39.gif 1022.gif

I'm a huge fan of Child in Time too...

cool.gif

Love Purple, with a particular fondness for the Coverdale/Hughes line up. We should see Stormbringer & Come Taste The Band re-released this year.

There's some great live CDs' doing the rounds, the best 2 are Live In London(Kilburn), and Live In Paris(La Derniere Seance).