All songs by Lee, Lifeson and Peart except

"Best I Can" by Lee,

"Fly By Night" and "Rivendell" by Lee and Peart,

"In The End" by Lee and Lifeson,

"Beneath, Between and Behind" by Lifeson and Peart

Produced by Rush and Terry Brown

Mercury/Polygram, February 15, 1975

For Best Results . . . Play This Album

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trivia:

Certified Gold by RIAA: December 1, 1993 - Certified Platinum: December 1, 1993 - Highest Billboard Chart Position: 113

"'Best I Can' is an earlier song from the old days" - Alex Lifeson, Contents Under Pressure

The original hand penned lyrics for both "Anthem" and "Fly By Night" include different or additional lyrics not sung in the original song. Although the original lyrics for "Anthem" include the line "Carry Your Head", they are sung as "Hold Your Head", as well as other minor changes such as a change from "Anthem of the heart and mind" to "Anthem of the heart and anthem of the mind". The original lyrics to "Fly By Night" include a prologue which is not found in the final song.

On the original vinyl album, the chimes at the end of "By-Tor and the Snowdog" were printed into the fadeout groove of side one, which meant that on older turntables the chimes would play FOREVER until the stylus was phycially lifted from the vinyl. On the Archives version, "By-Tor" is 28 seconds longer as additional chimes were included.

"[Howard Ungerleider] moved on to crashing at Ray [Danniel's] house, where he had to suffer Ray's dogs - a German shepherd, 'which used to look at me and growl, it was always pissed off,' and a 'little, white, fluffy thing, like a snowball, which just jumped up and down,' he explains. One day it all got too much - for Howard. 'I was in Ray's back yard, the f***ing snowdog thing was jumping up, and the German shepherd was biting me...' Of course when he recounted it to the guys, they thought it was hilarious. 'A biter, and the Snow Dog,' they laughed. 'Sounds like an epic song!'" - Chemistry

Again, same rules apply!!! Happy posting!!! cool.gif

Since this is the first album with Neil, I guess this is the one where Rush really became, you know, Rush. I think Geddy said in the XM Artist Confidential interview in 2004 that when he and Lerxst were meeting Neil for the first time, the Anthem riff was something they were playing, and it clicked. So right from hitting "play," Rush's more complex art-rock ambitions are evident. That's a fun song to play on drums too.

Beneath, Between, & Behind is one of the great unheralded Rush classics. Out of all the songs from the band's early albums, I think this is the one that most needs to be brought back out on tour.

By-Tor is a classic, of course. A sign of the great things to come in the rest of the 70s.

In the End I really like, how it starts off completely acoustic, and then rocks out at the end. So clearly, on this album, many of the Rush hallmarks fell into place.

Unfortunately, though, the rest of the album is filler. Best I Can sounds like an outtake from the first album, and the lyrics sound like they could have been written by Jack Black's character in School of Rock. The title track is probably the most overrated Rush song ever. It's completely boring musically and lyrically. Easily the worst of their "radio hits." Making Memories doesn't do anything for me at all, and Rivendell is just 062802puke_prv.gif. They would use the same themes to much better effect later that year on The Necromancer.

Overall, Fly By Night is a decent album hinting at things to come. It's dreadfully uneven, and half of it is brilliant while the other half is filler, but it was a transitional album for them, the one that bridged the gap between their Zeppelinesque debut and their prog-rock future.

On the original vinyl album, the chimes at the end of "By-Tor and the Snowdog" were printed into the fadeout groove of side one, which meant that on older turntables the chimes would play FOREVER until the stylus was phycially lifted from the vinyl.

This is true! When I was a kid, I would do my homework listening to Rush albums, and, of course, every 20 minutes or so, I'd have to get up and flip the record over. Reading this made me vividly remember exactly that - those chimes would keep playing until I got up and removed the needle. My cassette tape copy even had a few extra seconds of chimes, probably because I made the thing while going about other business and forgot to lift it right away. I almost feel like I'm back in my room 25 years ago - I can 'hear' those chimes going and going and going... ohmy.gif

Needless to say...I love Fly By Night. Oh, and in full '80's disclosure, I even had (still have somewhere) a black jacket with the owl PERFECTLY airbrushed on the back. 1022.gif

QUOTE (yetz @ Jan 22 2007, 11:55 PM)
On the original vinyl album, the chimes at the end of "By-Tor and the Snowdog" were printed into the fadeout groove of side one, which meant that on older turntables the chimes would play FOREVER until the stylus was phycially lifted from the vinyl.

Funnily enough I mentioned that elsewhere the other day, it always amused me for some reason laugh.gif

On a visit to a cousin's house at some point in the late 70s I remember walking in and hearing this weird, otherworldly music that just seemed, well, a bit odd to me. I'd been brought up on a diet of Abba and ELO and this haunting noise meant absolutely nothing.

A couple of years later I had bought Permanent Waves, become a fan and was working my way through the back catalogue. It took me a while to realise, but that "weird, otherworldly music" had been from By-Tor and the Snowdog.

I think this still stands up as a good, consistent album. The full-frontal assault of Anthem, the groove of Best I Can, the jagged rhythms of Beneath, Between & Behind all still impress with their youthful energy. The title track and Making Memories are warm and melodic before the peaceful interlude of Rivendell gives way to the brilliant In The End (although I always preferred the live version).

You can hear how excited the band are to have found the beginnings of their own direction, and this is an album that shines with creativity and exuberance. By-Tor, naturally, rules the roost, but there really isn't a bad track here.

And the cover is gorgeous biggrin.gif

Fly By Night showed a clear direction and improvement on the first album with the addition of Neil, and definitely earned Rush the "Best New Band" Juno award in 1975. The songwriting was more complex and colorful, the performances more technical and nuanced, and the lyrics considerably more insightful. Still a bit raw and exhuberant, the album showed some insightful experiences on life as musicians (Fly By Night, Making Memories), views on philosophy and politics (Anthem, Beneath Between & Behind) and some literature and mythology inspiration as well (Rivendell, By-Tor and the Snow Dog).

Still not one of my favorites, but there is a longevity about it - the title track still gets a great deal of radio airplay despite being very dated. My favorite track though is Anthem - that song just kicks butt and was my favorite to play live from any off the first 4 albums. Great guitar solo and bass line. By-Tor had some interesting textures on guitar, and the drumming throughout the album was fantastic. FBN signified a clear step in the right direction from a maturing band.

Fly by night in my own eyes is amazing, it really is. For being my 2nd Rush album bought its definitely one of my favorites but i have too many Rush Favorites as it is. From the beginning Anthem all the way through to In the End with my favorite Lifeson solo its one of the Greats. If i was to rate it it would be a 8.5 out of 10 easily.

This album is nasty good; in every way the first album was, and more.

They kick things off right with Anthem, a rocker that gives you a wedgie with your lower lip. Focus on the guitar when Geddy Lee squeals "and anthem of the mind," it just sounds so good, the simple little thing it does there. The part where the band phrase together and Geddy Lee shrieks "wrou-ought!" reminds me of Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Karn Evil 9, when Greg Lake shouts, "Roll up!"

My favourite thing about this track is that it really is a perfect opener because, despite it being a great song, it cannot compare to the classics lying in store for those who keep listening. So, first you get knocked off your feet by the blistering intro to Anthem, then when you've barely had a chance to recover, you're knocked out cold by the stuff that follows. They didn't waste all their ammo on the first wave, so to speak.

Best I Can tones it down a notch but still rocks. I really like the message of the lyrics, about being a rocker and not apologizing for it. I friggin' hate grown-ups who only listen to classical or jazz and only consume merlot and arugala and assure us that "rock is just a phase" and that we'll grow out of it. And when they tell us "Tell me if you still like this music in twenty years," they get this smug look, as if the fact that you can't immediately disprove their asssertion makes them automatically right. I'd say, if they're talking about my tastes in music, the burden of proof is on them. Stupid grown-ups.

The wacky By-Tor and the Snow Dog is an instant classic, being Rush's first epic, the music does a good job of evoking the lyrics, and you can also tell they're having a lot of fun playing it and don't take themselves too seriously. It has my all-time favourite Alex Lifeson guitar solo. I don't think he's ever come close to the zany solo he plays in that song just before the wacky meter section, where they usually prematurely end the song playing it live, which is always weak. One reason I always prefer studio albums, they don't dick you around and make you wonder whether or not you're actually gonna hear the whole song.

In the End is just the perfect closer, and not just 'cause of the title. The chord progression is just mucho perfecto. Just like the chords in the title track, which is one of the best songs on this album. The melody is so catchy, with the one-two accented punches in the chorus. And the Neil Peart drum fill that introduces the piece, all I can say is: Respect.

Rivendell is a gorgeous, fokey kinda ballad with lyrics about J.R.R. Tolkien literature. Musically, it's unlike anything else in the Rush canon. It's an extremely underrated song that I fell in love with when I first heard this album. It kinda reminded me of early King Crimson a la Cadence and Cascade, actually, but that's neither here nor there. My point is, Rivendell, it's a lot like Different Strings or The Twilight Zone or Marathon or The Camera Eye. It's an underrated song that a lot don't get, but it's the meat of the album. Fly by Night would not be the album it is without the drastic change in mood of Rivendell before they swoop you right back off your feet with In the End.

God I love this album. smile.gif

10 out of 10 and easily an improvement over the first album with just so many tracks being stand-out classics. What an underrated, outstanding, brilliant album. And it's the album that started it all for Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart, a musical partnership that's lasted over three decades and brought us classic after classic. Think about that when you put it on.

ENTER...NEIL PEART.

Wow...I don't think anyone back in 1975 would've guessed the impact of this move to the band. Unbelivable.

Quite simple really...Rush without Neil would NEVER have survived the way they did. We might never have this forum...because the band of 'Rush' would've never made it out of the 70's. There was always a possibility that Geddy and Alex would've continued on...but the legacy of Rush would never exist.

Neil's musical presence alone, added so much to the legacy and musicianship of the band. But...then come the lyrics. Without Neil's lyrics...essentially the whole catelog (minus a handful of songs) would never exist. Take away Neil...and you don't have Rush, plain and simple.

So...FLY BY NIGHT.

Awesome 'first' (I know, second - but first with the TRUE Rush) album for the band...and would set the stage for an exciting legacy of great albums.

ANTHEM - amazing opener...strong musically and lyrically. The raw power of Alex's guitars is unmatched...incredible.

BEST I CAN - strong drumming from Neil sets the stage for a nice little rocker...a seemingly leftover track from their debut album. Still, some of Geddy's best lyrics appear here...and it just plain rocks.

BENEATH, BETWEEN, AND BEHIND - a track that tends to be forgotten, but still holds a lot of power within it's music and lyrics. A fantastic addition to this album...and a continuous rocker all the way through.

BY-TOR AND THE SNOWDOG - I really think that people forget the most important thing about this song - IT STARTED THE TREND FOR EPICS! It was their first dive into an epical masterpiece...and it just plain rocks. What more can you say...most fans would vote this as the strongest track on FBN, and I definitely agree. The Epic that started it all.

FLY BY NIGHT - a simple song that sounds great...and added an unmistakable vibe to this album. It became the radio-friendly track on the album, and began to showcase Neil's writing ability.

MAKING MEMORIES - a look at a lighter side of Rush. A fun-sounding song that keeps a light-hearted sound. The lyrics are enjoyable, and the music matches it perfectly.

RIVENDELL - although potentially one of the weaker tracks on the album, it showcased Neil's love for fantasy writing...which would become evident on future albums. A light little ballad that is usually forgotten...but still respected.

IN THE END - a fantastic album closer, that leaves the listener with a feel of amazement for what they just listened to. Another important song that put the entire album into perspective. Just a strong closer.

Overall...definitely not their strongest album, but considering how early in their careers they were...this album was very important. It established Neil's place within the band, and established Rush as a band that could write different types of songs (epics, radio-friendly, fictional, etc.). It was the early beginning to an amazing musical legacy.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 24 2007, 01:45 PM)
BEST I CAN - strong drumming from Neil sets the stage for a nice little rocker...a seemingly leftover track from their debut album. Still, some of Geddy's best lyrics appear here...and it just plain rocks.

I'm pretty sure Neil Peart wrote those lyrics. You look at the liner notes and they say "NP" beside them just like all the other lyrics.

QUOTE (yetz @ Jan 22 2007, 06:55 PM)
On the original vinyl album, the chimes at the end of "By-Tor and the Snowdog" were printed into the fadeout groove of side one, which meant that on older turntables the chimes would play FOREVER until the stylus was phycially lifted from the vinyl. On the Archives version, "By-Tor" is 28 seconds longer as additional chimes were included.

That blows my mind. One day, I will collect vinyls, and I will DEFINITELY get Fly by Night on vinyl.

IMO this is the first classic Rush album...the songs are tighter, the production is far better than the debut and all in all a solid almost metal album with ever growing progressive ambitions...

Side one (lp) is a roller coaster of the new found chemistry between the three of them...Side two has more variation to it and a killer ending in the shape of In The End

In some ways Fly By Night has the same kind of flow and running order of the songs as 2112...

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 25 2007, 11:25 PM)

I'm pretty sure Neil Peart wrote those lyrics. You look at the liner notes and they say "NP" beside them just like all the other lyrics.

Not to argue with you friend...but I went and checked a few different websites, just because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going crazy! tongue.gif

I checked a few different websites, which all seem to have Geddy listed as the sole writer for BOTH lyrics and music on "Best I Can".

Here are the liner notes (quoted from Power Windows' website):

"Best I Can" by Lee,

I don't have the album in front of me, but I think that these are acurate to what's in the liner notes on the album. At least, that's how I remember seeing them.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 26 2007, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 25 2007, 11:25 PM)

Not to argue with you friend...but I went and checked a few different websites, just because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going crazy! tongue.gif

I checked a few different websites, which all seem to have Geddy listed as the sole writer for BOTH lyrics and music on "Best I Can".

Here are the liner notes (quoted from Power Windows' website):

"Best I Can" by Lee,

I don't have the album in front of me, but I think that these are acurate to what's in the liner notes on the album. At least, that's how I remember seeing them.

trink39.gif

Hey, you're right, I took a closer look at the CD... This makes more sense anyways.

My bad. We all make misakes.

Still, I'd say Geddy Lee's best lyrics are Tears from the 2112 album.

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 26 2007, 11:22 PM)

Not Different Strings?

I would say they were better....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 26 2007, 06:22 PM)

Not Different Strings?

Now, those I am positive are Neil Peart lyrics. Check the liner notes! I am CERTAIN!

The reason I am so convinced is that I, too, coincidentally thought they were Geddy Lee lyrics. But they're not. Check!

Different Strings is a great song, though, with amazing lyrics. It's actually my favourite tune from Permanent Waves. Totally underrated. They should bring it back on the next tour, in the acoustic section maybe.

While I'm dreaming, they should do Rivendell in the acoustic section. HA!

QUOTE (Finbar @ Jan 26 2007, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 26 2007, 06:22 PM)

Not Different Strings?

Now, those I am positive are Neil Peart lyrics. Check the liner notes! I am CERTAIN!

The reason I am so convinced is that I, too, coincidentally thought they were Geddy Lee lyrics. But they're not. Check!

Different Strings is a great song, though, with amazing lyrics. It's actually my favourite tune from Permanent Waves. Totally underrated. They should bring it back on the next tour, in the acoustic section maybe.

While I'm dreaming, they should do Rivendell in the acoustic section. HA!

Geddy wrote the lyrics to "Different Strings."

Links to the album credits:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hi2zefykhgf1

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/PeWlyrics.htm

Archived