yet another Rush dilemma

Slime

Let us imagine the following scenario.

You know some dude or lady (for the sake of argument, I call them Slimebaby). Let's say Slimebaby knows WHO Rush is and has heard plenty of the heavily rotated hits on the radio (Tom Sawyer, Limelight, TSOR and the like). Slimebaby, rather than being blown away at the pure genius that is Rush is simply NOT impressed or worse he HATES this band every time he hears them.

The task for y'all is: Pick anywhere between THREE and FIVE songs that you feel would change their mind about DA BAND. Which three to five songs would give the best hope of having Slimebaby either investigate the band further or convert them to fans on the spot. Pick your songs!

My initial picks would be: The Enemy Within, Red Sector A, Leave that Thing Alone, Driven, Entre Nous

2112. The album.

It worked once, and if it doesn't work again, I don't know what will.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jan 3 2007, 10:33 PM)
It's not necessary to win anybody over to the cause...there is no cause.

There's really no point in the distribution of enlightenment to the ignorant.

goodpost.gif

Definately the full album of 2112.

It depends entirely on the individual's personal tastes. If they like....

Classic Hard Rock/Metal: Maybe something off 2112, or even FBN

Powerful but mainstream Rock: SoR, Red Barchetta

Prog: Hemispheres, Xanadu

Jazz: Where's my Thing

80's music: Big Money, Kid Gloves, Subdivisions

Pop: New World Man, Time Stand Still

Modern Heavy Rock: Something off VT.

Disco: The Weapon

These aren't in any specific order.

New World Man: I'm not sure if it counts- while it is probably one of Rush's best-known songs, I've never heard it on the radio. I consider it Rush's most accessible song. I don't mean that in a bad way, either- it's my favorite song on Signals.

YYZ: It's kinda well-known, but it doesn't really get radio play. People who hate Rush (not that Slimebaby does) still always "respect" this song.

The Color Of Right: A criminally underappreciated song that I consider the most "personal" track on Test For Echo.

Dreamline: Everyone mostly agrees that it's a great song, and it doesn't really have anything wrong with it.

QUOTE (Maddy @ Jan 4 2007, 08:03 AM)
QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jan 3 2007, 10:33 PM)
There's really no point in the distribution of enlightenment to the ignorant.

goodpost.gif

I may have to borrow that line. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It's all yours. I've long since given up trying to make other people get it. It's like licorice...those who like it really like it...those who don't, hate it.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 4 2007, 09:46 PM)
I feel proud of myself. In the course of the past year, I have successfully gotten no less than four people at least partially into Rush.

A fine effort. That's more than I've done in 25 years. And I've tried!

But then, I live in Australia, where bands like Wolfmother get huge...

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jan 3 2007, 11:23 PM)
It depends entirely on the individual's personal tastes. If they like....

Classic Hard Rock/Metal: Maybe something off 2112, or even FBN
Powerful but mainstream Rock: SoR, Red Barchetta
Prog: Hemispheres, Xanadu
Jazz: Where's my Thing
80's music: Big Money, Kid Gloves, Subdivisions
Pop: New World Man, Time Stand Still
Modern Heavy Rock: Something off VT.
Disco: The Weapon

Rap: Roll the Bones

Reggae: The Spirit of the Radio/New World Man cool10.gif

Folk Music: Resist (acoustic)

Opera: Just play one of the songs where Geddy hits some really HIGH notes

biggrin.gif

Any genre we didnt cover?

Moving Pictures, Signals, and Presto are obviously the most accessible Rush albums (and, IMO, are among the very best; my third-favorite, Grace Under Pressure, is not nearly as accessible to first- or even second-time listeners).

I know many people who have "heard the bigger hits" (which means listened to them once because I forced them too but not really payed attention) but already know that they aren't going to like them because they're "old and therefore not cool". Then they go back to their rap and punk rock. The girls I know are such losers. <_<

Anyhow, it would definitely depend on what they're into. If they're more of a metal fan, something like 2112, Bastille Day, or Earthshine could work. If they like rap, Roll The Bones. If they're into a more modern alternative sound, maybe stuff off Counterparts or Test For Echo...

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 5 2007, 06:28 AM)
Moving Pictures, Signals, and Presto are obviously the most accessible Rush albums (and, IMO, are among the very best; my third-favorite, Grace Under Pressure, is not nearly as accessible to first- or even second-time listeners).

I'll agree with you on the first two, but Presto? If some die-hard Rush fans can't stand it, i doubt new listeners will like it.

GUP would be a great one to introduce people too. Or Signals. They way music's going over here in Britain, those two would be great.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 5 2007, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 5 2007, 06:28 AM)

I'll agree with you on the first two, but Presto? If some die-hard Rush fans can't stand it, i doubt new listeners will like it.

GUP would be a great one to introduce people too. Or Signals. They way music's going over here in Britain, those two would be great.

I concur

Seriously, why are you so concerned whether your friend/partner/girlfriend/wife/whatever is interested in Rush or not?

I honestly can't remember the last time I mentioned them in casual conversation to anyone but my band mates (who needless to say, aint interested, but lets face it, Rush and pub covers bands are kind of mutually exclusive)

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jan 3 2007, 07:25 PM)
Play them some nickelback because the are probably too dumb to like Rush!!

tongue.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Actually, you make a very salient point here.

I think the case for a lot of groups is people tend to judge them by their big hits, and they really lose out on what the band is really all about when they do that.

Rush is different. Their biggest hist for me are really right up there among their best songs. If people listen to the radio and they hear the usual crop of Rush songs that get played: Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Subdivisions, Closer to the Heart, etc., and they don't like them, I think the chances of them becoming big fans are very slim, because those are great representations of their best work.

Sure, you won't hear long brilliant tacks like 2112, La Villa Strangiato, Xanadu and others on the radio, but I doubt that would convert people over who don't like their more commercially successful songs either.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 5 2007, 11:50 AM)
Seriously, why are you so concerned whether your friend/partner/girlfriend/wife/whatever is interested in Rush or not?
I honestly can't remember the last time I mentioned them in casual conversation to anyone but my band mates (who needless to say, aint interested, but lets face it, Rush and pub covers bands are kind of mutually exclusive)

Yeah, most people just aren't gonna dig them no matter what. I've been with my wife over 7 years, and she's heard me play Rush until her ears bleed, and she'll never be more than a very casual fan who would never go out of her way to listen to Rush on her own.

I still think it's worth trying to convert people who are unfamiliar with them, but I think people are either gonna have a presisposition towards liking them or not based on their innate tastes, and if after a few tries they don't get, they're not likely to ever get it...

Lemme clear up a thing or two here

1) I'm not actively looking to convert anybody to Rushism. I'm simply asking a what if question here. Fantasy scenario, alternative history or whatever you want to call it. IF somebody asks me about Rush and suggestions for what to listen to, I've got a good enough idea of what I'd tell them. But I'm not preaching this on the streets.

2) Insulting the intelligence of people who dislike Rush is, first and foremost, pretty damn lame. I hate seeing it PLUS it doesn't say anything about the quality of Rush's music.

The point of this exercise was, and shall remain, as I have stated it. Simply picture a scenario wherein Slimebaby has heard Rush's radio hits and does not like them. THEN suppose he were willing to give them a chance. That's where your imaginations come in: what non-radio staples would you suggest for them to listen to in order for them to change their mind or investigate further.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Archived