THE Song of 2006

madra sneachta

Here's an example. Gnarles Barkley - Crazy. I remember hearing a little snippet of it once and thought wow, THAT's different! i heard the whole song once or twice, thought it was pretty cool. then i heard it at a store and was happy to hear it because i thought it was a cool song.

that's usually about as high as it gets for me with new music. i'll occasionally hear a song i think sounds cool, one that if i come across while out and about or during my rare forays with turning the radio on that i'm happy to hear.

still, the song is nowhere near in the league it would need to be in for me to want to buy it and play it at home. if you put the cd on my desk, i would never play it.

no offense, my tastes just generally run towards the older stuff, and in my experience, the golden age of music was from around 1966-1977 or so, even though i have some stuff beyond i enjoy (rush being a notable exception).

i really like ambient/electronic music (not techno, house, etc.), and in that genre, there has been some amazing music IMHO in the past 15 years or so, but i don't generally collect it any more and it's pretty amazingly far from mainstream...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 9 2006, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 9 2006, 12:12 PM)
This one is easy for me since the most recent album I own is Feedback, and prior to that Vapor Trails. 

My vote is for nothing!  wink.gif  biggrin.gif  unsure.gif  ph34r.gif  bolt.gif

No wonder you hate those albums mate...

laugh.gif

actually I really like Feedback. i think it's their most listenable album since counterparts. since it's covers of a genre of music i'm so familiar with, i find it a little odd to be hearing modern versions of those songs by Rush of all groups, but i still enjoy it, even if i think the original versions are better. for covers, i find that a group really has to make a song very unique and different in general for it to work. the covers aren't really so unique and different that i think any of them are classics, but the fact that they took all those songs and put such a strong Rush stamp on them makes them somewhat unique. not an album i put on often, but still an interesting effort...

QUOTE (Roddy @ Nov 9 2006, 06:49 PM)

My vote is for Devin Townsend's 'Triumph'.

Great song from a great recording. Probably in my top ten this year.

My song is Soothsayer by Buckethead.

A awesome 9 minute instrumental that ranges from beautiful and delicate to balls out ripping and ferocious.

QUOTE (TheMeek @ Nov 16 2006, 11:30 PM)
You know, I can't really think of any even "good" songs, let alone what the "best" would be for this year. Pretty mediocre year actually.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif I'd say this is the strongest year in awhile. For the past few years, I'd have to scrap together mediocre albums to come up with a top 10 for the year. This year, I'd say I could to a top 20 without sinking below an album I would rank 8/10

This year for me its got to be "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" an epic length masterpiece from Porcupine Tree's latest album Deadwing.

(Even though Deadwing was released in 2005 - I just recently got it).

Actually that's my personal album-of-the-year for 2006 too.

Hands down for me:

Tool - The Pot

Honorable Mention:

Devin Townsend - Gaia

Shinedown - I Dare You

QUOTE (SecondNature @ Nov 17 2006, 01:50 PM)
This year for me its got to be "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" an epic length masterpiece from Porcupine Tree's latest album Deadwing.

(Even though Deadwing was released in 2005 - I just recently got it).

Actually that's my personal album-of-the-year for 2006 too.

Porcupine Tree, my newest second favorite band. Steven Wilson writes some great music.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Nov 17 2006, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 17 2006, 03:21 PM)
Hands down for me:
Tool - The Pot

Honorable Mention:
Devin Townsend - Gaia
Shinedown - I Dare You

Lots of love for Devin Townsend in this thread. very cool.

Yep, that's wonderful to see!!!

That entire album is incredible (as usual). I just picked Triumph coz it's the best known (and has Little Stevie Vai on it too!)

QUOTE (thestand @ Nov 17 2006, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (TheMeek @ Nov 16 2006, 11:30 PM)
You know, I can't really think of any even "good" songs, let alone what the "best" would be for this year. Pretty mediocre year actually.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif I'd say this is the strongest year in awhile. For the past few years, I'd have to scrap together mediocre albums to come up with a top 10 for the year. This year, I'd say I could to a top 20 without sinking below an album I would rank 8/10

I think this has been the best year for music in ages - Every year, I do a "Best of the year" CD compilation for friends and family, sometimes finding it hard to fill a CD. This year, it's a double, and there is some stuff I haven't been able to cover.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Nov 17 2006, 03:37 PM)
Lots of love for Devin Townsend in this thread. very cool.

Welcome to the forum Gompers!

Well thanks! Looks like there are lots of great folk here. Good taste in non-Rush music too.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 9 2006, 11:47 AM)
No alternatives, options, lists of close runners.............name the ONE song that you regard as THE song of 2006, and if you can, give us a link to it as well. Mine is -

Danielson - Did I step on your trumpet?

Have a listen

For those who don't have the capacity or just couldn't be arsed downloading the sendspace file, here's the video (Quicktime formaT)

Danielson - Did I Step On Your Trumpet?

Archived