The Greatest Romantic Comedies

rushgoober

At the risk of going too far into what is major chick flick territory, I do enjoy a good romantic comedy every once in awhile, at least when they're done well.

Here I'll focus on two of my all-time faves, though I'm sure I'll think of others later, and certainly others can chime in with their faves too.

When Harry Met Sally:

Is this movie perfect or what? I watched it agin while in Mexico recently for the upteenth time, and this movie just never strikes a wrong note throughout. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal give great performances as the couple that takes 12 years to get together, along with more great performances by Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby (R.I.P.). The scene where Fisher and Kirby get together is one of a hundred hilarious moments in a movie punctuated by old couples talking about how they first got together as a way of separating the movie into chapters. Even though this movie was a complete Woody Allen ripoff, it's done SOOO well that I just can't complain. Easily one of my favorite movies of all time. yes.gif

Annie Hall

Speaking of Woody Allen... In early 1978 I was 8 years old, and my mother broke the news to me early one morning that Star Wars didn't win best picture the previous night. A movie called Annie Hall won. I actually cried. Who the hell was Annie Hall???

It would take me years to discover that it was nothing short than one of the funniest movies of all time. Woody Allen pulls out all the stops in this movie, from stopping a scene to talk directly to the camera, using subtitles to reveal what his character and Diane Keaton's character are really thinking, even doing one brief scene as an animated cartoon. What kind of romantic comedy has one of the characters outgrow the other resulting in unrequited love in the end? Woody Allen's kind, that's what. It wouldn't be until the also excellent Hannah and Her Sisters a few years later that he'll let himself wind up with a happily ever after ending. Annie Hall is quirky, ingenious, hilarious, at times romantic, at times tortured, but ultimately one of the best romantic comedies ever made. cool.gif

Edited by rushgoober

What's Up Doc

Emma

The Goodbye Girl

Much Ado About Nothing

Roxanne

Say Anything

Benny & Joon

Breakfast At Tiffany's...

just to name a few...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 1 2006, 11:51 AM)
I saw The American President on tv the other night (seen it several times). That's one I love. Besides showing an unrealistic idyllic president, it's also got a great romance that isn't too syrupy. A great movie all around. yes.gif

now there is one i forgot to put on my list!!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

years ago when my hair was alot shorter people said i looked like annette benning...... unsure.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Sep 30 2006, 10:40 AM)
I like You've Got Mail with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan smile.gif

What bothered me about this movie was that one of the central themes was about how big bad business is coming in and laying waste to all good and noble small business in its path, yet here we have Meg Ryan checking her AOL and getting her Starbucks every morning.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Oct 1 2006, 08:25 AM)
I like You've Got Mail with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan  smile.gif

What bothered me about this movie was that one of the central themes was about how big bad business is coming in and laying waste to all good and noble small business in its path, yet here we have Meg Ryan checking her AOL and getting her Starbucks every morning.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif good point. I do like the movie though laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Oct 1 2006, 01:57 PM)
As Good As It Gets is as good as it gets.

With all due respect to Jack Nicholson, Duvall was robbed of an Oscar that year for his performance in The Apostle.

40 Year Old Virgin:

It may be more comedy than romance, but I still think it can be classified as a romantic comedy.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

I honestly think this is one of the best love stories. It may be sci fi, but it portrays the realness of relationships really well. And it's really funny too.

I like a lot of the ones mentioned already. When Harry Met Sally is the best of the bunch, I think, although it's a Woody Allen rip-off. (Note also the identical endings between Allen's Manhattan and WHMS.)

I'm a big fan of Woody Allen. His best romantic comedies were: Annie Hall, Manhattan, Play It Again Sam, and (maybe) Hannah and Her Sisters - although that one's on the dramatic side. Just about every Woody movie is a good movie.

A few other good comedies with some element of romance: Arthur, Tootsie, A Fish Called Wanda, The Sure Thing, Gross Anatomy, and The American President.

I like a good romantic comedy, but when you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. Especially these days, with stuff like Hitch, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, The Wedding Planner, Must Like Dogs, etc.

Edited by GeddyRulz

As Good As It Gets

50 First Dates

You've Got Mail

Meet the Parents (if this one counts)

My Best Friends Wedding

My Big Fat Greek Wedding new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Oct 1 2006, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Oct 1 2006, 08:25 AM)
I like You've Got Mail with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan  smile.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif good point. I do like the movie though laugh.gif tongue.gif

I like You Got Mail a lot for some silly reason. My problem with this movie is that Tom Hanks character mind f**ks with Meg Ryans character and it doesnt bother her one bit.

Casablanca!!...wait. that's not really a comedy though... unsure.gif Edited by progrush2112

My two all-time favorite movies. Heavier on the romance than comedy, but just all around smart movies. wub.gif

Before Sunrise

Before Sunset

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are incredible in these movies, and I understand there will be a third movie in the series. Incredible to me that they are filmed nearly 10 years apart and the characters *gasp* are ten years older in the storyline.

If you haven't seen these two movies, grab 'em from Blockbuster, pop some pop-corn, pop 'em in, turn up the volume (very dialogue intensive), prop up your feet, and enjoy.

Cel

QUOTE (Celine @ Nov 2 2006, 07:48 AM)
My two all-time favorite movies. Heavier on the romance than comedy, but just all around smart movies. wub.gif

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are incredible in these movies, and I understand there will be a third movie in the series. Incredible to me that they are filmed nearly 10 years apart and the characters *gasp* are ten years older in the storyline.

If you haven't seen these two movies, grab 'em from Blockbuster, pop some pop-corn, pop 'em in, turn up the volume (very dialogue intensive), prop up your feet, and enjoy.

Cel

I dunno, I saw the first one and part of the second.

It was like they were talking me to death. eh.gif