Earthshine

Do you like The Beatles?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Beatles?

• Yes! I love them!
    • No! I cannot stand them!
    • I like them.
    • They are okay.
    • They are okay, but extremely over-rated.
    • They are the most over-rated band in history.

I found it interesting to read in Traveling Music, (sorry I don't remember what page!) that Neil said he never owned a Beatles album and still doesn't. And also words to the effect that he, "never wanted to be Ringo", but preferred the "coolness" of someone like Gene Krupa.

Also, years ago, I read another interview with The Professor where he said, "the whole British Invasion passed me by. And that includes The Beatles. They were so schizoid. Their phony angelic side repelled me more than John Lennon's psychodelic side attracted me."

This all probably shocked, and perhaps even upset, some people who love The Beatles that also love Rush.

So how do you feel about The Beatles?

Let's hear it! smile.gif

One of the best bands ever, and certainly the most influential band ever.

While they're not my personal favorite group of all time, they're definitely the most important, and they made a helluva lot of fantastic music. I seriously doubt there will EVER be a band with their influence, importance and popularity again.

That being said, I really only dig them starting with Rubber Soul, and especially starting with Revolver. Their early stuff was ALL love songs, and while decent, wasn't nearly as memorable as what came after...

i love the beatles, they are the most important band in rock history. lennon and mccartney in my opinion are unmatched as song writers . i grew up listening to all my sisters beatles albums and the memories are endless. i saw the who wednesday night and they too hold an important place in rock history.

Apart from the early composers, undoubtedly the most influential musicians/composers ever.

Having said that, I never listen to them, and don't own a single album of theirs. And never will.

I like The Beatles. Not one of my top 10 favorites, but I have a few of their albums on CD and I like a lot of their songs. Sgt. Pepper's is very good of course, as well as The White Album, Abbey Road, & Let It Be. I'd like to buy Revolver as well.

And as for Neil, he never said he didn't like them, he just said that their music is everywhere already, and so he never felt like he needed to buy any of their CDs. Which is sort of understandable. It's like me saying I never have any desire to put in Led Zeppelin IV or Dark Side of the Moon because if I turn on a classic rock station, chances are that's what they're playing.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 16 2006, 01:27 PM)
The Beatles are simply the greatest band of all time, historically for sure and probably one of the top 2 or 3 musically too.

Everybody who has picked up a guitar in the last 40 years owes something to them.

yes.gif

You don't have to like them but you have to respect them. Their influence cannot be denied.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 16 2006, 09:31 AM)
The Beatles are simply the greatest band of all time, historically for sure and probably one of the top 2 or 3 musically too.

Everybody who has picked up a guitar in the last 40 years owes something to them.

yes.gif

You don't have to like them but you have to respect them. Their influence cannot be denied.

This is EXACTLY what I was saying in the overrated thread.

You don't like or enjoy the Beatles? That's cool. Everybody is entitled to their opinions and preferences. But to deny that we wouldn't be here on this Rush message board right now if it weren't for them is just plain ignorant.

The Beatles were AMAZING. yes.gif

The lyrics and the writing were great for

the era they were in and influenced so many.

I love the way everything was brought to

the table in their music.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 16 2006, 12:35 PM)

yes.gif

You don't like or enjoy the Beatles? That's cool. Everybody is entitled to their opinions and preferences. But to deny that we wouldn't be here on this Rush message board right now if it weren't for them is just plain ignorant.

I disagree. Their influence changed music forever. Without them, everything would be different.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 16 2006, 11:06 AM)

yes.gif

I disagree. Their influence changed music forever. Without them, everything would be different.

Did you read my post? That's what I said.

Not only are the Beatles one of those influential bands, they are also VERY good. They wrote catchy pop riffs in their damn sleep while other bands (even today) struggle to be listenable. Their "hippie" stuff is also really cool. They are one of those bands that I view as the "true" Musical Groups. MGs, to me, are groups of musicians who can do ANT type of song. Queen was also like this (though I think they did the variety thing a little better).

Long live the Fab Four!

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 16 2006, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 16 2006, 11:06 AM)

yes.gif

Did you read my post? That's what I said.

I didn't read it correctly! Sorry for being sloppy. laugh.gif

Archived