The Missing head to head

treeduck

Which is the best album?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best album?

• Vapor Trails
    • Moving Pictures

Ok head to head, where you choose one album over another. Who's it gonna be this time? Now I don't take these comparisons too seriously it's just a bit of fun but nevertheless here we go again...

The Prof stopped the head to heads mid stream and declared Moving Pictures the champ, but is he right? This match up interests me so hence this thread.

I want you to forget about production issues and judge this on songs not mixes...

So who's it gonna be, which is your choice, which is best? Vapor Trails the most recent, all-new studio work from Rush or their classic from 1981 Moving Pictures?

Tough one! Took some thought.

But I was thinking also of which one the band really shines as a whole in terms of musicality, technique, use of tones and instruments etc.

It has to be Moving Pictures.

Vapor Trails is great, but is really more of a return to basics and just being there. Notice there are no solos on the album except for Neil. Alex and Geddy backed off a lot, let Neil shine and just let it be a band album, so to speak.

How can anyone even think there is a competition here?

One album (Moving Pictures) recorded when they still had creativity and inspiration in abundance and the other (VT) a floundering death gasp from the sunset of their career

No contest really

QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 3 2006, 12:57 AM)

One album (Moving Pictures) recorded when they still had creativity and inspiration in abundance and the other (VT) a floundering death gasp from the sunset of their career

No contest really

Sounds like you won't be interested in their new "death gasp" when it's released then? Don't worry though, if you do get curious we'll tell you all about it...

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 3 2006, 07:50 AM)

No contest really

Sounds like you won't be interested in their new "death gasp" when it's released then? Don't worry though, if you do get curious we'll tell you all about it...

bekloppt.gif

To clarify:

As with all their albums I will judge it purely on merit.

I have never been one for slavishly liking everything by one artist, and with Rush this has always been the case for me.

There are songs from earlier in their canon (yes, even the "golden" years) that are total howlers and I see no harm in cherry picking the wheat from the chaff.

Saying that, there has (IMO) been a pretty steady decline in their output since Presto (though that was partially halted with T4E) and I cannot see that being abruptly reversed with the latest offering.

What some overly uncritical fans appear unable to grasp however (and I'm not saying you are neccessarily one, Treeduck) is that people like myself desperately want to be wrong about this. I would love the boys to pull a rabbit from the hat and produce a cracker, but I just can't see it happening.

For me, I supppose it's just the cumulative dissapointment of watching my favourite band of the last twenty-six years go through such a prolonged deterioration, and having been on the whole disillusioned with them for the past sixteen of these years. I really just don't want my hopes dashed yet again, but we shall see......

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 2 2006, 11:50 PM)

No contest really

bekloppt.gif

I love your tolerance of other people's opinions. It's truly inspiring.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 3 2006, 02:29 AM)

No contest really

bekloppt.gif

Well would you rather me say nothing in here and just make all my posts what I'm listening to in Music for Spheres? biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Or I could agree with everybody...?

I know I'll start now...

Kudzu you're right and everything elese you say is right too...

Now you must be happy surely and more importantly inspired...

smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 3 2006, 12:45 AM)

No contest really

bekloppt.gif

Well would you rather me say nothing in here and just make all my posts what I'm listening to in Music for Spheres? biggrin.gif

wink.gif

I know I'll start now...

smile.gif

No, I'm just saying, you don't have to be a jerk about disagreeing with people.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 3 2006, 03:30 AM)

No contest really

bekloppt.gif

wink.gif

I know I'll start now...

smile.gif

1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 3 2006, 04:50 PM)

No contest really

bekloppt.gif

laugh.gif Great choice of words Mr Duck 2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (different strings @ Sep 3 2006, 12:11 PM)
laugh.gif Great choice of words Mr Duck 2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hmmm...

So a simple dismissal of someone elses opinion impresses you more than the reasoned reply that I gave to explain why I though the way I did a couple of posts later?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 3 2006, 11:30 AM)
I'm a bit surprised. I thought that MP would be ahead by light years. I love 5 of 7 songs off MP (and like the other 2). With VT I love 1 song, like 5, and thought the others were okay.

There's a lot of love for VT out there (and also a good measure of the opposite). It is my favorite Rush CD for sure, and I am one of those that has felt somewhat disappointed from the the time Hold Your Fire came out (I have since come to appreciate HYF though). VT was a return to their powerful sound and not "pop, radio-friendly" focus of many of their recent years. That's sure to both dissapoint, and thrill, many of their long-time fans.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 3 2006, 03:30 AM)

No contest really

bekloppt.gif

wink.gif

I know I'll start now...

smile.gif

You were the one to come in with the first personal smart-ass comment. Treeduck's point was extraordinarily valid and well put.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 3 2006, 04:37 AM)
laugh.gif Great choice of words Mr Duck 2.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hmmm...

So a simple dismissal of someone elses opinion impresses you more than the reasoned reply that I gave to explain why I though the way I did a couple of posts later?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/RolindaBonz/bs.gif Reasoned reply? You offered no logical argument...just your opinion and a handful of insults toward Rush and rush fans. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/RolindaBonz/annoyed.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Sep 3 2006, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 3 2006, 04:37 AM)
laugh.gif Great choice of words Mr Duck 2.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hmmm...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/RolindaBonz/bs.gif Reasoned reply? You offered no logical argument...just your opinion and a handful of insults toward Rush and rush fans. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/RolindaBonz/annoyed.gif

goodpost.gif

Archived